Why do I feel bad about my children leaving the JW religion?

by lifeisgood 16 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

if they are good at scamming, they got a bright future ahead. you don't achieve all too much with honest work.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Lifeisgood,

I grew up worldy, I'm not a smoker, don't drink, and never did drugs, have a good work ethic

My words stand for who I am, I have a younger brother who is totally opposite

we are a year apart, raised in the same household by the same mother, I have sisters too

Religion or the lack of doesn't always have anything to do with how you other children turned out

people are just wired differently.

As for JW's being a good example , think twice, they teach deception, they offer

a bible study, but you don't really study the bible, but their literature full of lies

they even now have two different mags, one to fool the householder with

and a different one for the cult members only,

In the July 2009 Awake they say No one should have to choose between

family and religion, but yet there are so many on this board who have lost

family because of this religion. Release yourself from the guilt

Edit: I did try to smoke , but like Bill clinton, I didn't inhale

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

HYou say "My father raised me and my siblings to always work hard and make a living and never depend on anyone else".

Was your father a JW? You dont have to be raised a JW to be like that. My children are as different as chalk and cheese. I dont necessarily like the way they live. But I have learned to respect their choice. There are millions of good living, hard working people who have nothing to do with JWs......................and quite a few JWs who are low life.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Jean-luc

All of 'em low life, goin' round decievin' folks

they're just not aware of it.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Some JW kids grow up, well-behaved, responsible, good students, etc. This is, not because of the organization but in spite of the organization.

Some JW kids learn to survive in the shackled world of JWism, but by learning double-life skills, some become closet alcoholics, some learn to sneak even some forms of drugs, some grow up to be wife and children beaters, etc. Some are very depressed, suppressed and resort to legal drugs.

Such ways exist in all religions or non-religious across the board. No one gets perfect kids, perfect parents, etc. However, we can try to be there the best we can for our children, young or grown, involved in positive activities and conversations. Not under the threat that God will destroy them if they are not this way or that way. Not under the threat they we will absolutely 'shun' them if they are not this way or that way. It is a day to day process.

We can succeed as we leave the JW organization. Life will not be perfect, or with some sort of JW 'aura' image somewhere. We must work on and change what we can, and with time with a developing wisdom just accept a lot more. Again a day to day process.

• steve2
    steve2

Lifeisgood your nervousness about your children's future is plain to see. How could you not care about them? But here's some harsh reality: Whether they're in the organization or out, one's children can still fall to pieces or worse. Going to meetings is no guarantee of continued progress or health. In fact, I've known so many young ones in recent years who have stopped going to the hall and their lives have improved. It's called becoming an adult - and, yes, to seize hold of the responsibilities that accompany being an adult does have risks. But that's the price we pay for growing up and using our brains. I would never ever want my now-adult children to be "safe" zombies.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

SaltyOldLady---You can teach your kids to be moral and have good ethics without religion. I used to worry if NLW and I had kids how we would teach those things without religion. Then NLW got a little book called "Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide For Parenting Beyond Belief". That put to rest any fears I had.

NLW's wife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit