To my fellow atheists:

by NomadSoul 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!

O-K, Nomad Soul, now I don't feel ignored...

Which is exactly what did happen after I blurted out that the Exodus account was describing a volcano - volcanic eruption.

Unfortunately I wasn't ignored enough to escape some of the beatings, but they never hit me for seeking out scientific information, at least...

They just used me as a punching bag when they were in a foul mood - which was fairly often. That was another thing that convinced me that there was no god - the way they acted??!!?? Good grief - whatta buncha hypocrites!!

Hypocrisy, in my opinion, is primary proof of the absence of a "god"...

Zid

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I know what you mean. I got slapped when I was around 9 or 10 for pointing out their hypocrisy for having the worst fights after a meetings.

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

Thanks for starting this thread. It will be very interesting to learn about other people's journeys.

I got off the JW hamster wheel 7 yrs ago, but am just now in the process of figuring out what I believe. I'd say I'm about 80% atheist so far. I just have a few more questions. I haven't done enough exploring, yet, to be completely, solidly convinced.

Some of my steps away from God:

1. I never "felt" his presence even though I was doing everything I should. No answers to prayers or comfort given.

2. Would a loving God really destroy all who aren't JWs? (So JW god is out, but maybe a god that accepts everyone.)

3. If there is a loving God: Would he really confine Satan to the vicinity of the earth & allow him to terrorize His precious humans? Plus all the suffering and wickedness w/o any intervening. (So no god who's actively concerned or interested in us. Maybe just a supreme being or force that created things or, like you, Nomad Soul, maybe he started evolution.)

4. Now I've just finished "The 'God' Part of the Brain" by Matthew Alper and am about to start Richard Dawkins' "The Greatest Show on Earth"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. Exposed to the beliefs of JW's as a child, but went out and had fun.

2. "Worldly life" came crashing down on me and I had a personal experience with God.

3. Returned to Jehovah's Witnesses, the only religion I ever really knew and fully did "Jehovah's" (Watchtower's) will.

4. Started being bugged about "the truth" of JW's after "this generation" change and stayed in, but continued to see flaws in the Tower.

5. Had become an expert on computer searches for talks and travel and stuff. I asked "Why won't I Google "Jehovah's Witnesses" ? I did and a whole new world opened to me.

6. I learned about cognitive dissonance and psychological issues. I learned that people who have had a "personal experience" with God or Holy Spirit or spirits and truly believe it really need some mental health care. It's funny how people of vastly different beliefs have been contacted by "the spirits" throughout all of history. I believed, so I know many here on JWN believe they have had a personal experience, but they need to read some psychology after they ask themselves why they really accept that God or the spirits called on them in similar fashion to people of pagan and conflicting beliefs.

7. Continued to learn about Jehovah's Witnesses and branched out to learn about the Bible- how it came about, how it depicts a mythology that cannot be true, how it's god is not such a wonderful guy anyway, how archaeology proves it wrong.

8. Took a personal look at what science really knows about evolution and then about the begining of the universe and the begining of life on earth. Even though much of it is still in it's infancy and will be changed, I couldn't deny science's knowledge is growing. Over 90% of all species of life on earth had become extinct without Man's help. If God were causing this, that would be some god that is just working with his tinker toys and throwing tantrums or something. I couldn't deny that science had a pretty good handle on how old the earth and the universe were. I enjoyed learning how science is willing to change what it "knows" when new data presents itself- way better than believers who just "know" and that is the end of it.

9. I dismissed Jehovah long ago, now I dismissed God. Certainly, the God of the Bible cannot exist. If he did, he wouldn't be worthy of "worship." I am confident that any creator of mankind isn't looking for worship. That same creator has not shown himself at all.

I am not an agnostic. I am sure there is no creator. But if there were real actual evidence of the gods, I would be willing to say I was wrong. The gods are free to show themselves to me any time they want. Until they do, I put them with Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

@ Zid

Sheesh, Nomad Soul...

What am I, chopped liver???

ha ha, I thought the same thing! lol

BTW, I kept my eyes open and found that many "miracles" and visions within the bible - old and new testament - are actually based upon the effects of volcanic phenomena

That's a new thought to me. Would you mind sharing which ones in particular you're referring to?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, FollowedMyHeart!! Give me a minute; I'll get a link to an older thread that discusses that idea in detail...

Here's the link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/185420/1/Yahweh-The-Volcano-God

(There may be several other threads on the subject, too; I just don't have time to look them up right now, 'cause I've GOT to get out of the house for some exercise and my dog desperately needs a walk, too!!)

The beginning of the thread discusses that very account in Exodus that caused me to recognize the volcanic nature of "Jehovah/Yahweh". Somewhere else, in another thread, I mention that there is some volcanic imagery in the new testament also, especially in the book of Revelation, which was NOT written in 69 CE, but was actually written somewhere around 90 CE, which places its authorship at a time AFTER the dramatic eruption of Vesuvius in 79 CE.

Eventually I'm going to start a thread on volcanic influences on the new testament; I've finally gotten my hands on Pliney the Younger's descriptions of the eruption of Vesuvius that killed his uncle - I suspect that the eruption of Vesuvius strongly influenced the 'doomsday' mentality of Revelation, but haven't had time to review the info, yet...

Zid

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

Great! Thanks so much, Zid! I'll be looking forward to your new thread on the subject.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Mostly the same as others, just different order of things...

1) Born in JW, raised by hardcore elder/father
    2) Was hardcore myself, but still had nagging questions as a teen
    3) Went thru some judicial committies, noticed cracks in the Org being run by holy spirit
    4) Hypocrisy within congs became more noticeable
    5) Started to notice cracks in the god hypothesis, doubt the existence of a creator
    6) Then realized if god is unlikely, the bible is more likely the work of man with no divine influence
    7) Floated a few years without scrutinizing much further
    8) Re-kickstarted my exploratory journey by reading Christopher Hitchens "god is not Great"...followed by Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Dawkins, etc.
    9) Read a book about Mormons and the light went on about the true nature of JWs
    10) Scrutinized JWs...started with some hesitation to Google "Charles Russell"...eventually found this forum as well.
    11) Studied the facts of evolution, opened my eyes about the true nature and history of our planet
    12) Still rebuilding my own definition of "meaning of life", filtering the pain and frustration of so many lost years living in a "snowglobe"

Lots of details in between those points....but in a nutshell that's kinda it.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

1. Was born and raised in the organization
    2. Was a true believer for 30+ years
    3. Drove myself to rational thinking trying to add more justification to the Bible’s already deplorable morality model like a junky desperate to justify his addiction to heroine until I was 40.
    4. Gave up trying to “know” anything for sure and had no choice but to step uneasily into agnosticism. My credo was, “I don’t know, and neither does anyone else”.
    5. Started reading philosophy and discovered through reason and logic that my agnosticism was more lunatic than my belief in God and the Bible ever was.
    6. Succumbed to deeper logic and reason when listening to religious folks and creationists argue for the existence of God and that the Bible was His inspired word.
    7. Faced the final frontier of mysticism, God, and demons by watching episodes of ghost hunting shows alone in the dark. I did my own paranormal investigations in places reputed to be haunted. A huge deal for someone previously so demon paranoid. Had séances in which I requested, implored, demanded and provoked the spirits. Did everything I could to prove to myself the paranormal exists and I was disappointed and relieved at the same time to realize it’s all bullshit and myth.
    8. Stepped into atheism like stepping into a warm bath.

Every day, I have some experience with believers and I’m taken aback at how that use to be me. So irrational! Every experience I have with believers only serves to confirm with sound reason that these things are hoaxes and myths perpetuated to control thought and action.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Wow... Publishing Cult, your experience was much like mine!

1) Raised JW, left completely in mind after 28 years, in body after almost 30.

2) After being satisfied that the JW did NOT have the "truth", I started reading books critiquing the bible itself. I wanted to see both sides of the issue. I just couldn't understand how it could contradict itself so much and still claim to be the word of god.

3) Began reading up on evolution and getting ACCURATE information on C-14 dating.

4) Began reading scriptures with a critical eye and comparing them to secular history.

5) Watched whatever the hell I wanted, whether it had to do with spiritism, horror, etc. Never had any issues with demons or spirits or whatever. I DO believe an "energy" departs the body after death, but I think the "Afterlife" can be explained scientifically eventually.

6) Pretty much reconciled within myself that the chances are slim that there is a creator at all. I identify myself as Agnostic Atheist... Evidence tells me there is no god...but I'm more than open to being proved wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit