by PYRAMIDSCHEME 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    That is what that book says, 3Mozzies, and it is a quote I would show a Dub but, from memory, that is not really the first time.
    I choose it because they are likely to have it on their bookshelf and because the later date gives them a fright. I have it on mine with a dogear at the page. The fact that it is incorrect is irrelevant if they spot it, because it is their book, not mine.

Hey Black Sheep, I love showing that to my JW friends as well, it freaks them right out!

3Mozzies

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It's a good one for my Dad as 1943 is way after his baptism.

TD gives a breakdown here. Unfortunately the scans have expired.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/98503/1/The-Demise-Of-1874

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This is an extract from Greg Stafford's Three Dissertations book (p. 71) that you'll probably find helpful.

For some time the date 1874 remained a part of The Watch Tower's chronology [WT 1923, March 1, pp. 67, 71, 73]. Eventually, though, it was replaced with 1914 as the time when Jesus' parousia ("presence") began, invisible to human eyesight. Exactly when this happened is not easy to determine. In 1938 it was admitted that not until after 1922, did the Bible Students realize that the prophecy of Matthew 24, which would include Jesus' parousia, did not apply to the period between 1874 to 1914. Rather, it was fulfilled between 1914 and 1918 [WT 1938, June 15, p. 189]. In July, 1943, there appears to be a reference to the Witnesses' belief in 1874, as one Watchtower notes that some only claim to believe that Christ's parousia began in that year, but deny their claim by their actions [WT 1943, July 15, p. 217]. However, in the early part of 1944 the time of the parousia officially changed from 1874 to 1914 [WT 1944, April 1, p. 104 - GS comments that this was "the first explicit reference to this change that [he] found in the Watchtower"].

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

I think that one of the reasons for the confusion over when the Watchtower changed over from 1874 to 1914, is because of the different theological perspectives of the two leaders, CT Russell and his successor, JF Rutherford. CTR was obssessed with the Gentile Times prophecy that supposedly ended in 1914. For as long as this date was in the future, CTR had a modicum of credibility. To CTR this meant that the end of the world as we know it, and consequently, with the belief that Christ came "invisibly" in 1874, that his generation was seeing the last days [1874-1914 conveniently made up 40 years which meant the "last generation"]

By 1916, when CTR died, this prognosis had clearly been discredited, and at first JFR scrambled about attempting to justify some aspect of CTR's expositions. JFR did this by extending CTR's datings to 1925, when again, the world as we know it was expected to end. When this again failed, JFR went completely off the rails and began a corrupt process of biblical exposition that saw him delving into some of the most bizarre forms of Bible study.

He left dating things well alone, and the year 1874, though still evidently being upheld by him, was never mentioned in any intelligent way in any of the literature scribed by him. JFR began to see himself and the organization he was reconstructing as the centre of the theological universe and in order to "prove" this, he plundered the Bible to find adequate allusions to support his absurdities. Ruth and Naomi, Mordecai, Job, Jonadab among others, were enlisted to show how he and his organization were thus "fulfilling" Bible prophecy, without the need to resort to dating things.

Much of what he was teaching was so utterly cockeyed, that the Watchtower allowed his books to quietly go out of print as soon as they ran out of their time. Thus, whereas CTR was all for dating things because these dates were still in the future, JFR had inherited a defunct sequence of dates, which, because he was unable to adapt to his new teachings, were therefore ignored.

Throughout his life, he had never once conceived his theology in terms of a 1914 invisible return of Christ. Remember JFR had other concerns on his mind. He refashioned the Watchtower organization into his own image by wrenching it away from the more genteel construction first done by CTR. The generaly introspective meditative formula introduced by CTR was replaced by an intellectually dominant set of regulations which now required the ponderous study of every pronouncement made by him to his following.

Whereas CTR had focussed on the "harvest" as his main theological concern, and the soon approaching cataclysm, JFR instead focussed on replacing what he saw as an overly dependent view of Jesus Christ in the organization. Thus, detirmined to "put Christ in his place", he adopted much of the Sacred Name theology, which was becoming prominent at this time, and invented this "Jehovah" perspective, which became a new obssession. He instituted an editorial policy in the Watchtower which would insist on the inclusion of this name in almost every paragraph.

Despising the preaching work himself, he instituted regular ministarions which saw the rank and file requiring to go from door to door, while carrying awkward phonograph machines [which evidently he sold to the rank and file for a neat profit] blaring his stentorian voice.

He refashioned the organization which he inherited into an anti-Catholic fascist system of belief, with his position at the pinnacle unchallenged. He undid the fledgling democracy instituted by CTR in the local congregations, by imposing a dictatorial method of control which saw all elected officials in the congregations disbarred from office, to be replaced by flunkies personally selected by himself and responsible to him alone. With an ironic twist of euphemism, he called this authoritarian control a "theocarcy".

By the time of his death, the Watchtower organization that he bequeathed to his successors no longer bore any tolerable resemblance to that founded by Russell. Dates, which were first manipulated into place by Russell, were ignored, with no adjustments made by JFR.

Thus the literature of the time, if depended on too literally, can be misleading. My own research is possibly faulty, but the last mention I can find for 1874, is the book "Prophecy" published in 1929, where this statement is found:

"The scriptural proof is that the second presence of the Lord Jesus Christ began in 1874". [page 65].

It must be remembered that if this is indeed the last reference to this date, it by no means indicates that belief in this date was done away with at that time.

It simply means that from then on, JFR totally ignored this date, while still adhering to it.

Someone once pointed out to me that the JFR booklet "What is Truth", published in 1932, mentions the date 1914, albeit with no theological implication or even any regulated analysis of what that date meant. JFR died, still believing [if he believed anything intelligent] in 1874.

It required the perverse genius of Freddy Franz, erstwhile "oracle of God" to reinvent the second presence doctrine, with yet another emphasis on the "Gentile Times" doctrine, which his mentor, JFR had refused to comment on.

As has been noted above, the "Proclaimers" book on page 133, did publicly admit that this change from 1874 to 1914 was effected as late as 1943. That date then must stand as the official date of transition from 1874 to 1914. Nearly three decades after the event.

For a fuller understanding of this subject, a good book to read is "Captives of a Concept" by Don Cameron. A book I have shamelessly plagiarized in this post.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

moggy lover did a good description of what has occurred.

here is Sep. 15, 1930 p.275 reference to 1874 as beginning of Lord's presents

The Sep 15 1931 p 278 implies of prophesy fulfilled but isn't specific as to Jesus returning. Then there is a long silence until they change 1874 to 1914. Proclaimers is the latest publication that admits the change but it obviously is written in a way that the general r&f don't notice that 1874 has been preached for over 50 years!!!!!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

26 The request of Gideon to the Lord was that he
    would send the dew upon the fleece and that the
    ground beside it be dry. The dry ground round about
    the fleece well pictures Jehovah’s faithful servants,
    particularly from 1914 to 1918. It was in 1914 that
    Christ Jesus was enthroned
    ; in 1918 he came to the
    temple and gathered unto himself those then found
    faithful. Those faithful ones sleeping in death had
    no reviving during that period of time, but must wait
    a “little season” in their graves. (Rev. 6 : 11) ....

WT 15 Jan 1935 Page 24

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It has to be remembered the previous view was that, while Jesus' parousia began in 1874, Jesus' enthronement or installation as King was 1878. Black Sheep's 1935 quote refers to 1914 replacing 1878 as the time of Jesus' enthronement.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Hi Ann! How have you been?

ANN:

It has to be remembered the previous view was that, while Jesus' parousia began in 1874, Jesus' enthronement or installation as King was 1878. Black Sheep's 1935 quote refers to 1914 replacing 1878 as the time of Jesus' enthronement.

It is truly ironic, but technically if the "parousia" are the events immediately surrounding and thus leading up to the second coming, then 1874 as the date when "Michael stands up" means that concept is correct. The parousia technically does begin in 1874!

1886 is when the 2300 evenings an mornings ends and the temple in its right condition begins for 110 years from 1886 to 1996. 1886 was the year the first Studies In the Scriptures took place. 1874-1994 marks a 120-year generation of Noah. 1914-1996 marks an 80-year generation.

1914 is when the 11 hours of vineyard workers begins. 7 years is one hour so 11 hours is 77 years from 1914 to 1991. 1991-1998 constitutes the "12th hour" and thus the "last hour." This is the hour the workers are paid from the last to the first. But it is also the hour the antichrist is revealed The antichrist was revealed 45 days before the 2nd coming, which was November 10, 1992.

1935 is when the third hour workers who were not promised a penny began to show up. 3 x 7 = 21. 1914 + 21 = 1935. Thus a second class within the WTS was prophesied in the Bible for the 3rd-11th hour workers! This is the anointed vs the "other sheep." But as the parable shows, once Christ arrives he invites ALL the workers into the kingdom, meaning the other sheep. The 3rd-11th hour workers get the same "penny" as the 1st-hour workers. The early anointed ones are not only surprised but not that happy about that. They are told to take their penny and go! So in more ways than one, the last are first and the first are last in the kingdom. Both chronologically and in regards to Christ's approval.

Haaaa haaa ! Sometimes I'm amazed at how much Biblical understanding I have. But then, I'm the messiah, so I guess that comes with the territory, right?

Oh, Annnnnnnn, thanks for agreeing with me!

So the focus on 1874 could be considered "inspired" though back then they did not fully appreciate what it meant.

Fascinating!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi Lars. I'm fine, thanks for asking. And how's my fave muppet? You're still spamming the other forum, I see.

Oh - you've added a bit. 'Agreeing' with you? Huh? LOL!

• garyneal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit