Need help combatting disfellowshipping policy scripturally

by stuckinlimbo 19 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Thankyou for your responses. I appreciate them. I will look up the 2009 July Awake. Thanks NVR2L8. It was very humble of you to leave and apologise to your child after 10 years of following the cult rules. You give me hope that maybe one day the same will happen with these parents.

• NeonMadman
  • stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Thanks NeonMadman that's exactly the type of info I was after!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Matthew 9:

[9] And when Jesus passed on from thence, he saw a man sitting in the custom house, named Matthew; and he said to him: Follow me. And he arose up and followed him. [10] And it came to pass as he was sitting at meat in the house, behold many publicans and sinners came, and sat down with Jesus and his disciples. [11] And the Pharisees seeing it, said to his disciples: Why does your master eat with publicans and sinners? [12] But Jesus hearing it, said: They that are in health need not a physician, but they that are ill. [13] Go then and learn what this means, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I am not come to call the just, but sinners.

Matthew 18:

[10] See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. [11] For the Son of man has come to save that which was lost. [12] What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them should go astray: does he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains, and goes to seek that which has gone astray? [13] And if it so be that he find it: Amen I say to you, he rejoices more for that, than for the ninety-nine that went not astray. [14] Even so it is not the will of your Father, who is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

(Bible text from newadvent.org)

• Frank75
    Frank75

Yeah...I wrote an essay on it once and will PM it to you if you like. However in the end, even the sincerest JW won't or has a hard time reconciling logic and scripture with what they are told either in the WT or by the elders....heck even some who have been kicked out for years, perhaps even here on JWD, still feel guilty and that it is for their own good.

Frank75

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Try also this article

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/disfellowship-shunning.php

Watchtower disfellowshipping goes well beyond the Bible in many areas. In fact the term disfellowship does not even appear in the Bible.

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

now we not disfellowshiped or dissasociated we're no longer a Jehovah's Witness

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

1 Corinthians 5:11

11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

Ok, not eat. In the ancient Jewish culture having a meal with someone was considered an close, intimate situation...unlike just having a meal with someone at Burger King today. I do not see any indication of a shunning here. COmapre with 2nd Thes 3:14 and 15

14 But if anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked, stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. 15 And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother.

See the words in 1 Cor 5:11 "quit mixing in company"? See in 2 thes 3:14 'stop associating with'?? The NWT translates the identical Greek term differently so one does not make the connection between the two texts. They then claim that 1 Cor is speaking of serious sins while 2 Thes is speaking of lesser sins. Why?? Because 2 Thes refutes their disfellowshipping policy in verse 15- to not consider the person and enemy and continue admonishing them as a brother. Exactly what in 2 Thes indicates that it is speaking of lesser sins???

• Terry
    Terry

Jehovah's Witnesses are like a private club for Member's Only

It is a policy of My Way or the Highway because they aren't in business to LOVE and COMFORT or save the lost.

They are in the Authority business.

Jesus, on the other hand, said:

Finding the Lost - Matthew 18:12-14

"If a man has 100 sheep, but one of the sheep becomes lost, then the man will leave the other 99 sheep on the hill. He will go to look for the lost sheep. Right? And if the man finds the lost sheep, the man is happier about that one sheep than about the 99 sheep that were never lost. I tell you the truth. In the same way, your Father in heaven does not want any of these little children to be lost."

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Thanks for all you answers. I really appreciate them. I think talking/writing to her parents would be like banging my head against a brick wall, from what she's told me, but I would be interested in that essay if you would like to send it to me Frank75.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit