Do you appreciate the sacrifices brothers made in 1927 so that we can preach on Sundays?

by miseryloveselders 24 Replies latest jw friends

• inbetween
    inbetween

Please, dont tell me, they want to push Sunday now....just leave people their day at peace !!!

anyway, interesting report about 1927, they pushed against the law, "On occasions when publishers were arrested, there were so many of them that the authorities were overwhelmed. "

This does not sound like a legal battle for religious freedom, this sounds like disobedience to superior authorities. On the other hand, today they advice, not to break the law, but to be "cautious as serpents , but innocent as doves" when preaching and state laws are involved. Example here, telephone witnessing is legally forbidden, so also the brothers are discouraged from doing it.

• wobble
    wobble

Under Rutherford, the P.T Barnum of cults, anything that got attention and publicity was a good idea. I doubt the big man himself was out on Sundays, one short "stretch" meant he kept within the law, unless it invoved alcohol, he couldn't do without that, despite Prohibition.

I was born in, in1950 ,and when I was young there were a number of firebrand types who were always up for anything that would publicise the WT, or get what they wanted, say permision to build a KH in the face of opposition, I think that attitude, of not rolling over in front of Authority, is what helped to suck my father in to the cult.

He had stood up in Court in 1942 as a conscientious objector (he was not at that point a JW) and said his piece on how corrupt authority, including Winston Churchill, was running the war. All the JW's around that time were sentenced to 3 months in prison, father got six months.

I think those kind of people were to be admired, mistaken or not, and they gave an exciting and subversive edge to the religion, which has long gone now.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The guilt trips never end.

It would be a terrible thing for a witness to have even one enjoyable moment of personal time.

All fun, relaxation, laughing and idle moments are selfish think about all the people that will die while you sit in your easy chair and sip your coffee

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

I can only feel sorry for the misguided brothers who wasted so much time and energy to tell people about their imaginary friend on a specific day of the week. I don't appreciate it at all.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Do the householders appreciate it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit