Assembly/Convention Accounting

by dontplaceliterature 32 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Just having had my Circuit Assembly recently, I felt that the expenses in a Watchtower-owned building seemed extremely over-inflated. Over $9000 for two days. There were approximately 750-800 in attendance each day.

I have seen some information on this forum in the past about the way that expenses are calculated for Assemblies.

If memory serves, there is some nomial rate per-publisher/attendee that is established and multiplied out. This determines the total expenses for the event, and has absolutely nothing to do with the real cost for utilities/maintenance.

Can anyone confirm this?

If so, does anyone have a .pdf copy for upload or e-mail of the Circuit Assembly Hall or District Assembly Accounting forms?

• baltar447
    baltar447

LOL, yes, the funny accounting. This made me wonder every time I listened to the account report. After I came on this site and read some threads about it, it made me sick.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Shameless bump.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is hyperinflation already starting? This sounds like what they do every time--inflating expenses so they can create a "deficit". And they always donate a good portion to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund at the noon break on the last day, to force a TP$3000 deficit and coerce everyone into donating during the afternoon that already donated. A good way to squeeze money out of people that likely don't have a good job or much money left after field circus.

I can see it coming in a few years. "We took in TP$60 centillion, which was worthless. Please make sure your donations are in gold and silver. Now, we had a total of 60 ounces of gold and 200 ounces of silver in receipts. Our expenses were 80 ounces of gold and 270 ounces of silver. Obviously, you need to put in gold and silver to close this deficit. And please, no toilet paper dollars--they are not doing anything except to make extra work hunting for the gold and silver, and aren't even worth the paper they are printed on."

• Alfred
    Alfred

A few years ago, I asked a colleague of mine (who knows quite a bit about operating expenses in commercial establishments) if he could give me a rough estimate of what the operating expenses would be for a JW assembly hall which I described to him (seats about 1,200, 30 foot ceilings, type of HVAC system installed, no paid employees for repairs, etc.). He told me he'd have to check the building out himself just to be sure but that it should not run more than $1,250 per day (of use) explaining that this is mostly electrical with some water and some pre-established amout for depreciation and repairs. Ever since then I'd always calculate that a $1.50 donation per person would more than cover the hall's "operating expenses" (for a one-day assembly). Yet, when it came time to stand at attention to listen to the "financial report", we'd always have some ridiculous "deficit" in the thousands... they definitely cook the books at these circuit assemblies. (Not sure what the expenses might be at a rented Coliseum but I'm sure they pull stunts like charge for parking that's already included in the rental)...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The Borg. Lying to people for Jehovah for 130 years!

• Robert7
    Robert7

I would say that the costs are probably more legit than it may seem. You're not paying just for the basic services like electricity and water, but this cost is likely a fully 'loaded' cost. This probably includes the amortized costs for taxes, electricity and other services used throughout the week when it sits empty, probably also paying off the 'loan' from the society who funded the construction.

I'm not a fan of the WTBS as much as anyone else, but this actually seems right, give or take...

• baltar447
    baltar447

Robert7, what taxes? Do religious organisations even pay property taxes and such? It's been discussed at length, and they are most likely inflating the numbers so they can reach their preset $$ amount per publisher.

• Alfred
    Alfred

The assembly hall I was referring to has been paid in full for over 10 years and it pays no taxes...

• pontoon
    pontoon

Robert, no taxes on these places. Long after they are paid off the charges still don't go down. They charge a premium price to rent these halls for the one or two day assemblies because these halls are a big part of their money making machine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit