Bible's Buried Secrets

by Mat 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mat
    Mat

Anyone in the UK watching this seris? Last one on next Tuesday. The first two can be watched online here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zsbwv

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

mm, I will watch that

• nugget
    nugget

first week was trying to find historical evidence for King David and was very thought provoking. This week was about whether the Israelites were polytheistic or montheistic. It also looked at whether God had originally a consort and why this part of the Bible has been buried. It was worth the watch and gave some very interesting points from the scriptures that indicate that the monotheistic form of worship came later. It showed the significance of the tree of life and how this was associated with a female deity.

Next week they are looking for the garden of Eden.

• wobble
    wobble

It is well worth a look, if only because the (female) presenter is so attractive ! Prof. Strappyloppylopoluus or something.

She is prepared to go out on a limb too, her claim that Israel's territory today is far more extensive than any kingdom David may have ruled over is explosive stuff, the Israelis base their claims to Palestinian lands on history.

Also her contention that Yahweh was the same God as El of the Canaanites, and had a wife, makes the Christian claims for Jesus seem doubtful.

The sad thing is, this will not spark much debate, and will go unnoticed by JW's , or dismissed as "She hates the Bible and God .... "

• Sargeant Pepper
    Sargeant Pepper

I caught bits of last nights episode. They pointed to Deuteronomy 33:3 as being evidence that YHWH had a wife called Asherah. They reckon that ancient scribes misrote her name as 'host' which is very similar in Hebrew. Checked out my NWT but their claim didn't seem to add up, maybe I need to look at another translation.

Was was interesting was that we were reminded that there is a very long and complex history of the people of the bible lands that far pre-dates the time when the bible was written.

Oh and they also pointed to a piece of ancient pottery found in Isreal that has both the names of YHWH and Asherah on it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The Whole EL thing and God having a wife is nothing new, I recall reading about this a few years ago.

The view of God as a bridegroom and Isreal as the bride is a very common and used often and I can see it being misunderstood.

• tec
    tec

The Israelites did worship Asherah. It's even in the bible - they had been rebuked many times for their Asherah poles, or whatever. So I don't see it as surprising that there would be evidence of that worship.

Tammy

• ziddina
    ziddina

Now, THIS is the stuff that they should be teaching in churches...

Full disclosure and all that...

Of course, the churches would soon be empty, after an honest discussion of the real origins of the bible.

Zid

• wobble
    wobble

Don't forget to watch next week, Garden of Eden ? What will Sloppyoppoulous make of that ?

• Mat
    Mat

Now, THIS is the stuff that they should be teaching in churches...

Full disclosure and all that...

Of course, the churches would soon be empty, after an honest discussion of the real origins of the bible.

Zid

I would go to church if they did teach this! It would be honest of them.

To be honest, the seris isn't saying much that hasn't been said in The Bible Unearthed, and one of the writers to that book was interviewed in the show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit