When there are to many medications in the house.....

by Quentin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Due to health issuse My wife, myself and daughter take medications. My wife Kathy takes about 12, the daughter 6 or 7. I have 15 meds to take in a days time. All of them are kept seperate in a lock box to which Kathy has the key. She dsipenses the pills in scrip bottles we saved for that purpose. We all three take painkillers. Kathy and I hydrocodon and the daughter oxycotin. I take hydro 10/500. Our daughter takes 20mg time release oxy 2X daily. We have done this for 2 yrs with no problems, until today.

Kathy had a Doctors apponment to which they were running late to keep and put our daughters med dose where she usually puts my 2 O'Clock vallum dose. I took my 2 O'Clock vallum, they weren't back yet, and OOPPPS!!! it was daughters oxy. It's now 8:58 PM and I'm riding Cloud 9 ( why is it called cloud 9? ) and wondering what's on cloud 11 and 12. So far I haven't had any adverse effects except for being well oiled and higher than a kite,and expect to drop asleep in nxt 1/2 hour.

Our system has worked well for over two years, but here's the thing folks, if you take any kind of meds, especialy opiates, for what ever rason BECARFULL AND DOUBLE CHECK THE MED BEFORE TAKING IT. I assumed Kathy had the correct med in that bottle and just took it, without looking. My vallum and her oxy are about the same size and shape, but are different in color. Had I taken the time to look would have noticed that right away. Be carfull guys and double check all your meds, doesn't take but a few seconds. If you have large amounts of presciptions in your house it's well worth the time to BE CARFULL. Thankfully I'll probably sleep it off and be ok. I'm of the soap box and off to bed....next....

Q, who sees two TVs where there should be only one.....nitey-night...

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Hey Quentin...

Just sleep it off. You'll be okay.

Unless you did this on purpose...

Or, heaven forbid, overdosed and this is a cry for help.

I know that Oxy and Hydrocondon are very dangerous because my sister was on both.

PM me if you need to talk.

:)

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Maybe you oughta go to the hospital or at least call them and see if your going to be OK.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Taking ONE or TWO Oxys is not going to do any damage. Just chill.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

If you're on 15 other meds and took oxy by mistake, you should talk to a doctor or pharmacist to be sure there's no interaction with anything else in your system. Get on the phone, please!

• crapola
    crapola

Better yet, try and get off the opiates. They are very addicting.. I know from experience how hard it is to do but the longer you keep taking them, the harder it will be to stop.

• Quentin
    Quentin

7:04 AM here...thanks all for your comments and offers of help...I'm fine, slept it off. A dumb mistake, which shows one has to be carefull when taking meds of any kind. Have a good day all....

• moshe
    moshe

My wife broke her arm and I have been getting her meds for her- I hate getting her weekly meds divided up, pills cut in half and put into the pill carrier- she takes 7 different meds- so far no mistakes.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I hate getting her weekly meds divided up....moshe..

Kathy hates it as well, however we all decided several years ago someone needed to keep up with the large amount of medication that is in the house. Have to be VERY carefull, it being easy to make mistakes. Happens in nursing homes, hospitals all the time. As a household we don't deal with the volume other entities do.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My wife broke her arm and I have been getting her meds for her- I hate getting her weekly meds divided up, pills cut in half and put into the pill carrier- she takes 7 different meds- so far no mistakes.

All those pills for a broken arm?..

All those pain pills you have to be one very happy/mellow family..

Snoozy, who hopes you have good Med insurance!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit