The Watchtower Proselytizer's road to hell

by Nickolas 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

There is an old proverb that says the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Take heed.

How many people have you harmed in your life, even when you didn't intend to?

Former Witnesses on this board have expressed regret and shame for having gone door to door luring people into the Watchtower. How do you sleep at night, thinking about all those people you personally brought in? Do you maintain some sort of metal ledger balancing off your debt/guilt with people you have personally helped to escape? Or do you just quietly live with it and try to forget?

Still others, astonishingly, express shame because they are still going door to door and they justify their hypocrisy against their fear of being outed and shunned, losing everything. There's another word for this. It's selfishness. It's putting your needs above the welfare of others. Whether you are simply callous or cowardly, the result is the same. How do you qualify your intentions?

There are two kinds of hell, the one that's real and the one that isn't. The one that's real is in your mind. It eats away at you when you are all alone with your thoughts, like when you're lying awake in bed at three in the morning and everything is quiet except the voice in your head. The one that's real fills the last years of your life with anxiety and remorse while what you have done plays over and over in your mind and you can't make it stop.

Good intentions justify nothing. If you are responsible for doing harm, you are still responsible.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm waiting for a "but".

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Good intentions justify nothing. If you are responsible for doing harm, you are still responsible.

Ok, but what about "the ends justify the means" argument.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

No buts, mrsjones. Those who are out can make amends by helping others escape. There is no redemption for those who are still in and luring others into something they no longer believe in.

What ends are you referring to, sab?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What ends are you referring to, sab?

The ones that justify the means. Do they exist?

-Sab

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NICKOLAS:

There is only one person that I know of that I might have influenced to get baptized as a JW. He is the son of an inactive JW friend. Maybe my 'kindness' when he was younger plus the good impression and love bombing he got when he attended the memorial was instrumental in his getting hooked. Too bad that responsible JW men in the hall didn't get to him first! I am rather sad at the circumstances he is in now. He is an extreme case and even the brothers where he lives try to help him. I have tried to talk some sense into him in the past but it goes in one ear and out the other, so I wash my hands of the situation.

He won't listen to wisdom and is hoping that Armageddon comes to save him from his predicament.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Those who are out can make amends by helping others escape.

There's the "but".

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

LongHairGal, looking from the outside in, you've done everything you can to correct your mistake. If I was you I'd sleep peacefully.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

The ones that justify the means. Do they exist?

The "ends" are the consequences of being baptized into the Watchtower. The "means" is proselytizing. If you believe the ends are negative, there is no justification for the means.

• Curtains
    Curtains

in hindsight I wasn't luring I was networking. I'm still networking and hope that the people I networked with as a JW are themselves doing the same. No shame, no sense of responsibility here - my heart is clean

edit: however I do wish I hadn't witnessed to my children

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit