Do JWs suffer from Stockholm Syndrome?

by campaign of hate 21 Replies latest jw friends

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

This topic is what what it says on the tin. Do JWs suffer/are suffering, from Stockholm syndrome?

Getting abused (mentally) and then seem to form a relationship with the captives (WTBTS).

There is also a condition called Oslo syndrome, but haven't read up much about it.

Personally, i think i might be suffering from the former.

Would love to get a few opinions....

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Do JWs suffer/are suffering, from Stockholm syndrome?

Absolutely they do.

http://drjoecarver.makeswebsites.com/clients/49355/File/love_and_stockholm_syndrome.html

(the 'victim' is the JW and the 'abuser' is the WTS):

Every syndrome has symptoms or behaviors and Stockholm Syndrome is no exception. While a clear-cut list has not been established due to varying opinions by researchers and experts, several of these features will be present:
    • Positive feelings by the victim toward the abuser/controller
    • Negative feelings by the victim toward family, friends, or authorities trying to rescue/support them or win their release
    • Support of the abuser’s reasons and behaviors
    • Positive feelings by the abuser toward the victim
    • Supportive behaviors by the victim, at times helping the abuser
    • Inability to engage in behaviors that may assist in their release or detachment

It has been found that four situations or conditions are present that serve as a foundation for the development of Stockholm Syndrome. These four situations can be found in hostage, severe abuse, and abusive relationships:
    • The presence of a perceived threat to one’s physical or psychological survival and the belief that the abuser would carry out the threat.
    • The presence of a perceived small kindness from the abuser to the victim
    • Isolation from perspectives other than those of the abuser
    • The perceived inability to escape the situation

The relationship that JWs have with the WTS is a classic case of Stockholm Syndrome.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I recently saw this doco on the Jonestown massacre/mass suicide and it shocked me at how elements of both mind and physical controls were in place and the geographic isolation was key to it working so horrifically. But would I be right in concluding that "mind control" is on a spectrum with the WT being somewhere in the middle?

Just wondering.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree.

Actually I think it is common among religious people.

• yodastar
    yodastar
    On the money 100%
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette
    It's a classic example of a codependent relationship.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    sparrowdown: But would I be right in concluding that "mind control" is on a spectrum with the WT being somewhere in the middle?

If you were to place "mind control" on a spectrum, I would place the WT in the 'high' category.

The WTS/JWs are a high control cult. They don't even need the geographical isolation that some suicide cults employ - they manage to control their members by isolating them within the culture at large. And, they even manage to convince their members to die to prove their loyalty. That is high control, not medium.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OrphanCrow,

I really appreciate your analysis of this issue in relationship to JWs.

You nailed it.

While JWs might not be going all "Jonestown" (yet), they are certainly well toward that end of the destructive end of the spectrum.

Oubliette

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Orphancrow: The WTS/JWs are a high control cult. They don't even need the geographical isolation that some suicide cults employ - they manage to control their members by isolating them within the culture at large. And, they even manage to convince their members to die to prove their loyalty. That is high control, not medium.

great comment!

spot on.....

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    If Jonestown was considered to be at the high end of the spectrum then JWs are not quite there yet, ie shooting Senators and passing out cyanide at the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit