Jehovah's Witnesses and their hypocritical entertainment choices.

by Scooby-Doo 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I had seen the Good Bad and Ugly by the time I was 10, but was not allowed to watch The Goonies.

What can I say ? My dad liked Westerns.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

had seen the Good Bad and Ugly by the time I was 10, but was not allowed to watch The Goonies.

Both great films, although I'm surprised they wouldn't let you watch Goonies. What was questionable about it? I'm in my thirties and downloaded the theme onto my MP3 player on the strength of that movie. That film is a must see for all kids. Everybody wanted to be like Data. The Good/Bad/Ugly is in my personal top 10, maybe even top 5. I'm still yet to True Grit, one of these days though.

My mother was real hypocritical when it came to entertainment. She'd find my Compton's Most Wanted cassette, and toss it in the rubbish when I wasn't around. Then she'd go watch Homicide Life On the Streets, or Law & Order. Something else funny to me about my dad. To this day, he loves movies like the original Clash of the Titans, Sinbad, or movies with Sabu such as The Flying Carpet. I've heard him make comments at the meeting where he'd criticize Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. The funniest thing though is, if Lord of the Rings comes on TV, he'll be hooked. Harry Potter not so much as its too childish in his opinion. But let LOTR comes on, he will not change the channel unless the NBA is on.

Something else about hypocracy when it comes to the WT/JWs in regards to violent entertainment, is the WT salivating for divine retribution on people today. They send mixed messages to JWs via the literature. On one hand in the Service Meeting, we're discussing how its love that motivates us to preach the good news. Love for our neighbors, and everyone is smiling all morphine like. Prior to that in the Theocratic Ministry School, we were discussing how exciting it must have been to see Pharoah and his army drowned, or all the first born of the Egyptians killed during the final plague. Or its the WT and JWs salivating over the impending destruction facing this system of things. With the exception of violent 80's cartoons, Japanese Anime', Hate Groups, and extremist Muslims, the WT and JWs are the only groups I know that use the word "destruction" or "destroy" as much. They've got a blood lust of sorts. At the District Convention a few years back, they had two kids dressed up like Israelites, and they were playing in the dirt/sand. The one kid was like, "here comes Pharoah and his army." The other kid was like, "here comes the walls crashing down and drowning them all!" They made it seem like it was an action movie and actors and actresses. Effed up religion.

• pirata
    pirata

I think many JW like some form of entertainment that they are taught is "wrong". They may feel guilty about it, so make up for their guilt by getting all righteous about how bad "other" entertainment is. There is a natural tendency to make oneself feel better by judging others according to one's own conscience.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

All Death and Horror viewed by JW`s,must be WBT$ Approved..

JW`s should only view Good WBT$ Death and Horror..

http://img.search.com/thumb/a/a8/TheWatchtower_cover_Oct15,1980.jpg/220px-TheWatchtower_cover_Oct15,1980.jpghttp://exjwslosangeles.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/image002.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QcjB84-75-0/TO7TG--wjvI/AAAAAAAAG-o/4JpBMGKCOrw/s1600/Watchtower_Magazine_English_issues.jpg

...................... ...OUTLAW

• jay88
    jay88

Why are those Watchtower's soooooo, over done. And this is the stuff children are suppose to set through for 2hrs no break?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are so petty. There are plenty of shows on TV that have a minor "problem". One, for instance, features a person that always seems to know when the phone is about to ring or the doorbell is going to go off. Another features a teenager in Africa that seems to always know what the animals want and is able to connect with them (which, if you ask me, is intuition--some people simply are very intelligent and have excellent intuition). In both cases, the witlesses will claim you are inviting demons in because, whether it is a psychic baby-sitter or someone with a gift with animals, they disregard that it could be intuition and claim it is pure spiritism.

You also have more than plenty of songs that are "bad" for no good reason. The scumbag that dragged me into the cancer claimed that all Journey songs were automatically bad. This same pig, however, sees no wrong with Air Supply. By their own standards, I know that the "dirtiest" Air Supply song is dirtier than the "cleanest" Journey songs. But, you cannot get through to this scumbag--however he sees fit that you should live your life, you need to comply no matter what the cost is. And he is free to do as he damn well pleases--perhaps he is trying out to be one of the Rothschilds, because his attitude is similar.

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

sd-7: "You must mean Battlestar Galactica."

You got it! I agree, great show.

Quality JW programming at it's best!

FrankWTower: "I wish I could say something out loud about it."

Me too, i wished i had called them out on all of their hypocritical BS.

The Finger: "I was counseled by an Elder about watching "Dallas" and the sexual attitudes portrayed in the Series. When I spoke with his son in law, I was told he was actually taping the James Bond movie whilst he was counselling me at the hall."

That is hilarious! Sometimes i can't even believe the lengths that they will go to, to make sure they're in complete control. I have noticed that they seem to focus mostly on entertainment that has sexual or supernatural themes. Just like the 'James Bond' elder, they seem to let violence slide.

miseryloveselders: "At the District Convention a few years back, they had two kids dressed up like Israelites, and they were playing in the dirt/sand. The one kid was like, "here comes Pharoah and his army." The other kid was like, "here comes the walls crashing down and drowning them all!" They made it seem like it was an action movie and actors and actresses. Effed up religion."

Good God, that HAS got to have some sort of negative impact on a child's mental state. I don't know if that would be considered child abuse (probably not) but it reminds me a lot of some of the things Fred Phelps and his inbred posse have their children do. Scary.

OUTLAW: Those covers are so damn creepy. What's even more disturbing is that the average JW wouldn't even think twice about the 'positive message' they tell.

WTWizard: "In both cases, the witlesses will claim you are inviting demons in because, whether it is a psychic baby-sitter or someone with a gift with animals, they disregard that it could be intuition and claim it is pure spiritism."

Exactly! They are so desperate to find demons in every little corner of the world.

It's sad, really.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I'll never forget the time I overheard a group of elders discussing movies. One recommended a certain movie an another said "isn't that rated R?"

The first elder said "yes, but R rated movies dont effect me, I can handle it"

A couple of the other elders nodded in agreement.

That was the moment i stopped fretting over wether a movie was appropriate to watch or not. I realized right then, I could "handle it" and it would not "effect me"

case closed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit