Jehovah's Witnesses and their hypocritical entertainment choices.

by Scooby-Doo 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

The couple that i studied with were major hypocrites when it came to their entertainment choices. I remember the first time i was invited to their house for dinner, this was the first time that we just hung out socially, and they were playing music. A song came on sung by a girl group that liked to pretend they were bisexuals (or lesbians, whatever) and i thought 'hey, maybe these witnesses are pretty relaxed and cool after all'.

Boy was i wrong. They would always bitch about the stuff that i watched/read/listened to etc. It seemed like every other week I'd get a lecture about how whenever i watched a TV show with supernatural elements, i would be inviting demons into my home. 'You know that you're involved in the occult, we don't need to tell you that.' they would say. Seriously, like watching a show about sexy butt-kicking witches is going to lead me into a life of sacrificing goats in the name of the prince of darkness. Give me a break.

Or they would bitch about how they would never watch what i do because they don't agree with what the characters are and what they do. They basically condemned me for watching a show that had a gay (or bisexual, whatever) guy as the main character. Now i wouldn't have a problem with that, that is... if they applied that logic to their own entertainment choices.

They would watch a TV show about a lovable murderer. I mean really, I'm making bad choices for watching a gay guy but you're just fine watching a killer who is presented as the good guy? I remember how they would watch it but they wouldn't buy it on DVD because she wouldn't be OK with it in her house.

Their child used to play The Sims 2. I would always laugh (on the inside of course, didn't want to be rude.) because they really had no idea of what she was getting into. That is a game based on star signs, with people that came back from the dead as ghosts, characters that start off as bisexual and the option of turning your character into a witch or zombie.

There was this one time when i was at their house and we were singing karaoke (ugh!). They got pissed at me for choosing to sing a Courtney Love song off of their disc. That was over the line because she sang about getting drugged up and her general trashiness. If you don't want people to sing that kind of music, then don't have it on your discs! Makes sense if you think about it...

Then I'd recommended movies to them, but they couldn't watch them because they were rated MA15+. What the geniuses didn't realize is that their favorite TV show had the exact same rating. That was probably for the best though, i would have seriously scarred them.

They were big downloaders too, probably only bought about half of their movies and music. I guess it never mattered who they were stealing from. I wonder what Jehovah would say about that?

Most of the TV shows and movies they watched were sci-fi and about war and violence. A favorite of theirs was about a war where the good guys believed in gods like Zeus, Apollo, Hera, Athena etc. and the bad guys believed in a One True God. This show HEAVILY portrayed Christians (or at least, Christian-like people) as crazed nut-jobs bent on genocide. You would have thought that rooting for a bunch of Zeus and Aphrodite groupies to obliterate an entire race would be below people with such high standards. But no...

I could go on and on with examples like these. And it's not only them, I've had similar experiences with other JWs as well. They preach about how evil the world is but secretly enjoy what the world has to offer behind closed doors. I remember once he said to me "Choose your entertainment as if Jehovah/Jesus were sitting right beside you watching it as well." I guess he doesn't like to follow his own advice...

I wish i had called them out on all their hypocritical preaching. So... has anybody else experienced similar situations?

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Last time I stayed with my parents, they had just watched Avalon High, and were in another room arguing about the Sarah Jane Adventures and Doctor Who because of their "demonic content", and whether they should buy the DVDs and just not watch those particular episodes. I had enough of their arguing and told them that they were hypocrites for having just watched a movie about sorcery and reincarnation and then arguing about a show which had aliens masquerading as monsters.

Needless to say, they didn't take that so well...

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

Ha! I know JWs who wont watch certain Doctor Who episodes as well.

The Satan Pit was the big episode that messed them up.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Should we expect anything less from Smurfophobes?

• designs
    designs

Baptist's dance close?

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

"Should we expect anything less from Smurfophobes?"

You have a point there.

How anybody could deny the awesomeness of The Smurfs is beyond me.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Most of the TV shows and movies they watched were sci-fi and about war and violence. A favorite of theirs was about a war where the good guys believed in gods like Zeus, Apollo, Hera, Athena etc. and the bad guys believed in a One True God. This show HEAVILY portrayed Christians (or at least, Christian-like people) as crazed nut-jobs bent on genocide. You would have thought that rooting for a bunch of Zeus and Aphrodite groupies to obliterate an entire race would be below people with such high standards. But no...

You must mean Battlestar Galactica. Surely, that was what led me out of "da troof". Spectacular show. Pretty violent and even the occasional sex scene. Not to mention the 'f'-word ("frak", which sometimes sounded a lot like that other f-word).

That is comical. I used to--and still do--have a lot of guilt issues over entertainment. My wife blasted me over watching 'Avatar', and yet would be watching R-rated movies when I got home from work. Not that I care, but they just need to admit it--movies are f***ing awesome. Come on.

This reminds me--I need to do a 'Noah-David' movie thread. Was just watching that last night. Come on...war, apocalyptic events & dazzling special effects, hot women--the Bible was the template for great R-rated movies. But educational--I mean, surely reading about a couple of folks gettin' stabbed through their sexy parts taught me not to parade my fornication through the KH. So...that's different. Really.

--sd-7

• james_woods
    james_woods
    There was this one time when i was at their house and we were singing karaoke (ugh!). They got pissed at me for choosing to sing a Courtney Love song off of their disc. That was over the line because she sang about getting drugged up and her general trashiness.

Courtney Love was trashy?

I am shocked, I tell you. Simply shocked.

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

Most JW's are hipocritical about something. I wish I could say something out loud about it.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I was counseled by an Elder about watching "Dallas" and the sexual attitudes portrayed in the Series. When I spoke with his son in law, I was told he was actually taping the James Bond movie whilst he was counselling me at the hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit