Radiation plume no danger to Arizona

by darthfader 42 Replies latest social current

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Are you bible thumping on me?

• darthfader
    darthfader

Latest information

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110318/ap_on_re_us/us_west_coast_radiation_monitors

LOS ANGELES – Government experts in the United States are keeping a close eye on any radioactive particles that could travel from Japan, and they may already be seeing trace amounts.

A diplomat who has access to radiation tracking by the U.N.'s Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization told The Associated Press in Vienna that initial readings show tiny amounts of radiation have reached California. But it's not dangerous in any way — "about a billion times beneath levels that would be health threatening," the diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the organization does not make its findings public.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

thank you for the good copy and paste, darthfader! Freydo wants us to panic

• beksbks
  • villabolo
    villabolo

Darthfader:

"A diplomat who has access to radiation tracking by the U.N.'s Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization told The Associated Press in Vienna that initial readings show tiny amounts of radiation have reached California. But it's not dangerous in any way — "about a billion times beneath levels that would be health threatening," the diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the organization does not make its findings public."

A sister-in-law of a friend of a UN's Nation's worker nephew . . .

As you have been told a zillion times, it is irrelevant what that rediation levels are NOW. On the basis of the Norwegian epidemiological report, which indicate minor mental retardation as a result from Chernobyl fallout a thousand miles away; it is obvious that one cannot assume anything if those Japanese reactors go into total meltdown results.

Such mental retardation was the result of micro-doses of inhaled radiation that would not be considered dangerous by those bullshit authorities that are being cut and pasted.

Villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

Beks: ROFL Smiley Animation

Villabolohehehe

• darthfader
    darthfader

Villa, please post a link to the study you sited above -- the only reference I have is an article from Johns Hopkins University:

Mental retardation. Kozlova et al. (31) studied 2,189 children from contaminated zones (15 to over 40 Ci/krn2) in the three countries; they had been irradiated in utero at different periods of gestation. The reference group comprised 2,021 children from zones with less than 1 Ci/km2 of contamination who were matched for age, socioeconomic level, and parents' educational level. They observed reduced intellectual performance (on psychometric tests) in the exposed group. These results are descriptive and do not take into account the parents' psychologic condition, even though this same study also finds a higher prevalence of psychologic disorders among exposed parents

Case clusters in Europe and Asia Minor Down syndrome. Clusters of Down syndrome cases have been reported in several different European countries after the accident at Chernobyl: in West Berlin, 12 cases were observed 9 months after the accident, while only 2-3 were expected (32). An ab-normally high prevalence was also noted in the region of Lothian, Scotland (33). EUROCAT (European Reg-istration of Congenital Anomalies), a network of re-gional registers monitoring congenital malformations, was called upon to assess the significance of these clusters. In 1991, EUROCAT included 24 registers in 14 European countries, covering approximately 350,000 births a year (about 10 percent of the births in these countries). Its comparison of the incidence of Down syndrome before and after the accident at Cher-nobyl revealed no significant differences between the two periods (34). The apparent clusters that have been reported may result from different biases (e.g., improved screening and awareness, selection) (35). It is also highly prob-able that the medical teams studying the consequences of Chernobyl would observe some isolated clusters, and that they would be published more frequently than negative results (34).

Once Again, It looks to me that the signal to noise ratio of these statistics is too high. There are many other biases that cant be accounted for that cloud the outcomes.

I'm not arguing the point about the radiation fallout dangers, but I don’t want to blindly accept biased information from alarmists There are plenty of people who argue and fight on both sides of these kind of debates to make it very difficult to discern the real facts.
    Cheers

• villabolo
    villabolo

Darthfader:

"These results are descriptive and do not take into account the parents' psychologic condition, even though this same study also finds a higher prevalence of psychologic disorders among exposed parents"

I find it odd that the psychological condition of the parents should be statistically significant in view of the large number of the study sample. Are we to believe that most of the parents of the affected children was subnormal?

http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/scientists-discover-lower-iq-in-post-chernobyl-children/

Scientists discover lower IQ in post-Chernobyl children

Published on Wednesday, 19th May, 2010 at 22:09 under the news category, by Michael Sandelson.

Fear radiation levels affected foetuses.

Chernobyl reactor 4
    A critical period

Two Norwegian researchers have found radiation from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear power station could have influenced the intelligence levels of unborn children.

Chernobyl’s reactor 4 exploded early on 26 April, releasing enormous amounts of radioactive particles into the atmosphere that were dispersed over a wide area. Worst hit in Norway were the mountainous regions of Midt-Norge.

The results have been published in the latest edition of the Scandinavian Journal of Psychology.

“The Chernobyl accident may have had a subtle effect on the cognitive functioning of those exposed to low-dose ionizing radiation during the most sensitive gestational period,” write Bjørn Rishovd Rund, professor of psychology and head of research at Vestre Viken helseforetak (health trust), and Kristin Sverdvik Heiervang, Research Fellow and the University of Oslo.

A total of 178 teenagers were tested. 84 came from the most contaminated area of Norway and who were exposed to radiation at the time, whilst the remaining 94 came from uncontaminated parts.

The data was then analysed in two different ways. The first method used the 94 as a control group, comparing their IQ scores with the others.An IQ comparison was then made between those exposed during the most sensitive period (between 8 and 16 weeks) and those later on in pregnancy.

“Adolescents exposed to low-dose ionizing radiation in the uterus scored significantly lower in full-scale IQ than unexposed adolescents.”

They also found teenagers who’d passed the most sensitive period prior to the accident and the control group performed just as well as each other.

AND THIS OTHER REPORT:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2010/05/19/chernobyl-effects-still-showing-up/

Chernobyl effects still showing up

May 19, 2010

A new study suggests that babies exposed to radioactive fallout from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster when they were still in the womb have subsequently scored lower than other youth on IQ tests. The findings of the study, though, are controversial.

The Chernobyl accident sent clouds of radioactive fallout via the winds northwest to Norway. The country, especially its mountainous areas in the central part of Norway, became the hardest-hit outside the former Soviet Union.

Reindeer herds were contaminated, for example, along with agriculture. Newspaper Aftenposten reported Wednesday that a new study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Psychology suggests the radiation also may have affected unborn children.

“Our research indicates that even low doses of radiation can have consequences on the development of the brain during the most sensitive portions of a pregnancy,” Bjørn Rishovd Rund, a professor at the University of Oslo, told Aftenposten.

He and associate Kristin Sverdvik Heiervang tested 84 18-year-olds in Oppland and Nord-Trøndelag counties who were still in the womb when the radiation hit hardest. Another group of 18-year-olds from another part of Norway were tested separately, as a control group.

Those exposed to the radiation scored lower in intelligence, memory, attention spans, ability to solve problems and abstract thought, concluded the researchers.

The study didn’t measure how much radiation to which the teenagers may have been exposed. Its results have surprised officials charged with nuclear safety in Norway.

“There has been some research that indicates radiation can result in lower IQs, but only at doses a hundred times greater than what occurred in Norway,” said Astrid Liland of the state nuclear safety agency Statens strålevern. She’s skeptical, as are health officials.

“This is just one study involving a limited number of people,” she said. “You can’t be sure based on that.” Others worried that youth born in 1986 may be stigmatized.

Roger Ingebrigtsen, state secretary in the health ministry, told Aftenposten that he expects the study’s findings to be “thoroughly evaluated.” He cautioned against “being critical as soon as researchers come with conclusions you don’t like.”

Villabolo

• beatthesystem
    beatthesystem
    I gave Satanus an answer right above your post. BACKGROUND RADIATION IS NOT INHALED UNLESS IT IS RADON! Then the dose of Radon that you get is relatively minute when measured in mSv. BUT IT GETS AND STAYS INSIDE OF YOU. T

So what? I'm not worried about radon.

I recommend to you the first link on this page:

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/

Locales with the highest radon exposure had the lowest cancer rates, controlling for other factors such as smoking. The study covered more than 90% of the US population by county.

I live in a region where there is a lot of radon outgassing from the ground, and I don't really care.

Higher levels of radiation are good, up to a certain threshold. People that live at high altidudes have lower cancer rates overall than sea levelers. You get more radiation from the Sun at higher altitudes.

I'm not worried about the radiation.

If you are curious as to why, I recommend you investigate radiation hormesis, particularly the work of Dr. T D Luckey.

http://www.amazon.com/Radiation-Hormesis-T-D-Luckey/dp/0849361591

In fact, I even keep radioactive materials in my house because it prevents cancer. If you want to up your gamma dose, an easy way to do it is to buy Fiestaware ceramic dinnerware from the 1930s in red-orange. Uranium oxide was used in the glaze to give it its color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkYKcFFkBo

I am a cancer survivor, by the way. I took more radiation in my 20th year to kill the cancer than you will get in your entire lifetime.

BTS

• Snoozy
    Snoozy
    First, the fact that the fallout is going to be breathed in and incorporated into your body. That puts the radioactive particles in immediate contact with your body's cells.Second, that fallout is going to be effecting you for weeks, months and years; until it's excreted. If it's excreted. A regualar X-ray is only giving you radiation for a couple of seconds. Even without the issue of inhaling the radioactive particles to consider, how long would you like to stand in front of an X-ray machine that is constantly turned on? Hours, days, weeks, months

I agree with that. I also read that California is in for it sometime soon. They even have somethiing called the "Earthquake fish" that Japan uses to predict earthquakes...next arrival due March 19th tomorrow. Should be interesting!

Damage from radiation doesn't show up for quite a while..by that time all the ones that said it wasn't harmful are dead from old age. I often think that is why there is so much cancer today! Results from the 50's and 60's.

A comment from a daughter of a worker trying to keep the reactor from blowing...

The team, known as the Fukushima 50, were described as ‘suicide fighters’ as they worked round the clock with little sleep and food and exposed to deadly levels of radiation to bring the damaged reactors under control.
    One message on Twitter, apparently from the daughter of a Fukushima worker, said: ‘My dad went to the nuclear plant. I never heard my mother cry so hard. Please dad come back alive.’
    A worker’s daughter said in an e-mail: ‘My father is still working at the plant. They are running out of food. He says he’s accepted his fate… much like a death sentence’
    Expert Keiichi Nakagawa said: ‘I don’t know any other way to say it but this is like suicide fighters in a war.’
    There are actually 300 of them on the site, working in shifts of 50.
    One has been exposed to five times the annual radiation limit.
    Former atomic energy official Gennady Pshakin said: ‘They are like the Spartans, standing up against all that’s thrown against them.’

Read more:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/858441-fukushima-50s-families-post-touching-messages-hailing-suicide-fighters#ixzz1H09p0Oq9

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit