Radiation plume no danger to Arizona

by darthfader 42 Replies latest social current

• beksbks
    beksbks

I heard an expert talking about some of the differences today. It's not all the same. And length of exposure appears to be key. "Radiation" is a blanket. Xrays are Gamma? This stuff included all manner of toxic shit. One of them has plutonium, which apparently is much worse. Dunno, I was on my way to work and just got the gist before I had to go.

I'm not primarily focused on this "plume" and the US by the way, I'm thinking about Japan specifically and nuclear energy in general.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Copied from Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_compared_to_other_radioactivity_releases

Natural sources of radiation are very prevalent in the environment, and come from cosmic rays, food sources (bananas have a particular high source), radon gas, granite and other dense rocks, and others. The collective radiation background dose for natural sources in Europe is about 500,000 man Sieverts per year. The total dose from Chernobyl is estimated at 80,000 man sieverts, or roughly 1/6 as much. [ 1 ] However, some individuals, particular in areas adjacent the reactor, received significantly higher doses.

Chernobyl's radiation was detectable across Western Europe. Average doses received ranged from 0.02 mrem (Portugal) to 38 mrem (portions of Germany). [ 2 ] For comparison, the dose received from eating one banana per day for one year is roughly 3.3 mrem.

I happen to like Bananas...

• beksbks
    beksbks

Another good reason not to kiss the Monkey

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm actually more concerned at the moment with an appropriate place to post some Sex Pistols.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Darth, did you read the articles I posted about mental retardation in adolescents who were in certain areas of Norway when Chernobyl's fallout descended? Norway is about a thousand miles away from Chernobyl.

Where you aware that there was an increase in thyroid diseases 200 miles from Chernobyl?

Do you realize that Radon, a radioactive substance that is naturally found in the ground, is dangerous when it accumulates in basements?

Also do ou realize that any radioactive material found in food is grossly minimal compared to even long distance fallout? Whatever games are played with figures do not add up to real world situations that scientits have figured out.

Villabolo

• shamus100
    shamus100

>:O BEKERS, HOW COULD YOU!!!! :'(

Hateful commie beotch! >:(

• beksbks
    beksbks

Flea ridden banana eater!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Whoa!! That means your fleas are radioactive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• darthfader
    darthfader

Ok. First off, I am only trying to balance the concern that people have here (in the Southwest US) for the fallout from the Fukushima disaster.

Villa, I take it your posts are on this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/207375/1/WORLD-WIDE-ALERT-ALL-JWN-MEMBERS-BRACE-FOR-NUCLEAR-FALLOUT-BULLSHIT-STORM-THIS-IS-NOT-A-DRILL I'll see if I can wade through that bulk of posts and some sense of what you are saying.

Yes, I understand what radon is and where it comes from and why it's concentrated in basements.

Everyone plays games with the figures, that's why Im trying not to take an alamrist position on anything. If you have some figures and peer reviewed articles on the ratio of radioactive material in bananas vs. inhaled fallout "dust" please point me in their direction.

cheers.

• freydo
    freydo

Japan nuclear plant: exposed to the elements - nuclear fuel in meltdown

Open to the elements after its walls were blown away, this is the dried-up storage pool where overheating fuel rods are threatening a nuclear meltdown at Japan's stricken Fukushima power plant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8389415/Japan-nuclear-plant-exposed-to-the-elements-nuclear-fuel-in-meltdown.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit