If time travel exists

by sabastious 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

The mind has a wonderful mechanism which allows human advancements in technology: speculative thinking.

"What if....." can lead to possibilities.

The unfortunate blow back of speculative thinking is that we simply ACCEPT speculations as though they were FACTS.

This is so easy to do. For one thing, it gives us HOPE.

We don't have to die. There is paradise and heaven. There is a benevolent intelligence behind everything that will prevail in the end.

That sort of thing.

It is lovely, really.

But, it is speculative.

We live in a real world with a clock ticking on each of us. We have a definite shelf life.

Spend it however you wish; speculatively awaiting your beliefs to blossom into last minute reprieve from reality......

or..

constructively making use of the time and resources at your disposal building the best life possible in there here and now.

• designs
    designs

Since we don't fall through the space in atoms we can assume this is pretty much it.

Go plant a tree, 400 years from now someone will be having a picnic under it

• four candles
    four candles

It's not a british accent,it's an aussie one. I was always mistaken for an Aussie when I was in the States...it's totally different....but good video.

Time travel is possible...just ask marty Mcfly.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Stephen Hawking expanded on the concept recently by calculating that a really, really big spacecraft with a huge amount of fuel could attain speeds approaching c after about six years' of acceleration. But it would begin to travel in time after only 4 years. When the ship attained .99 c, for every day on board the spaceship an entire year will have passed back on Earth. If the course of the ship was circular and the crew started its decelleration sequence after, say, three months, by the time they returned to their starting point they would have been in space for a little over 12 years but would step foot on Earth about 150 years after they left.

Physicist Lawrence Krauss (in his book "Beyond Star Trek") presents convincing information that such a spacecraft (.99 c) is not physically possible because of the vast amount of energy (fuel) that would be required.

However, the Einsteinian time dilation is quite real - it is observed daily in the particle experiments at the Large Hadron Collider at Cern, and in time corrections needed for the GPS satellites as two examples.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Perhaps there is more of a correlation between non-belief in anything supernatural, and people who are unable or unwilling to believe in anything beyond accepted scientific theory/evidence.

That would be the corollary of my observation, Tammy. How would you typify people who are able or willing to believe in anything beyond accepted scientific theory/evidence?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If Augustine, and others, were/are correct and God is "outside" of time and space as WE KNOW it, then time travellers is not an incorrect description of what God, Jesus and the angels may be.

I don't think God transcends our existence I think he/them was/were caused by The First Cause just as we, through him, were too.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Marty! You're not thinking 4th dimensionally!

Yes yes yes! My favorite movies.

-Sab

• tec
    tec
    How would you typify people who are able or willing to believe in anything beyond accepted scientific theory/evidence?

Exactly as that. Some people are conservative in some areas (such as outside proven facts or acceptable theories), and others are open in some areas, such as seeing beyond those acceptable facts and theories to what can or may be. I think the second group is more likely to have faith in something unseen or not yet proven, as you stated earlier.

But the reverse can also be true. Some people with faith are very conservative in other aspects, and some in the first group are also very open-minded in things we haven't proven or seen yet.

Tammy

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    Nickolas:

Is it my imagination or is there a correlation between belief in things supernatural and belief in things that defy the known laws of physics and accepted scientific theory / evidence? The number of people in here who believe in UFOs, extraterrestrial visitations, superluminal travel and time travel to the past seems a bit higher than the norm.

Sorry Nickolas, but I'm afraid your a little bit out to lunch with that one. You'll find many, many believers in UFOs, extraterrestrial visitations, superluminal travel, time travel to the past and the paranormal in all corners of western society and the internet in almost equal proportion to what you see here. It just so happens that it's more in-your-face here and on other web forums, regardless of type. The web just makes it all easier to talk about. There isn't as great a percentage of the population who are so rigidly scientific\skeptical\cynical as you might think. I'm sure there are other web forums out there for ones who are more like minded to you. Just sayin'. You are still welcome here, of course...

V665V665

P.S. I might believe in the future possibility of breaking the light speed barrier but I DON'T believe in reverse time travel. The thought of THAT is just far too headache inducing for me...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Sorry Nickolas, but I'm afraid your a little bit out to lunch with that one.

Ok. Wouldn't be the first time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit