Population

Peak 2010

Hours

Bangladesh

Pakistan

30 Other Lands

India

*** w92 5/1 p. 7 The 1914 Generation—Why Significant? ***
    From small beginnings in 1919, Jehovah’s Witnesses have continued without letup to spread “this good news.” As a result, millions from over 200 lands are now being gathered as subjects of God’s Kingdom. And what blessings await these subjects! The Kingdom will abolish war, famine, crime, and oppression. It will even overcome sickness and death!—Psalm 46:9; 72:7, 12-14, 16; Proverbs 2:21, 22; Revelation 21:3, 4.
    Before the 1914 generation passes away, the Kingdom-preaching work will have accomplished its purpose. “Then,” foretold Jesus, “there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.”—Matthew 24:21, 22.

If we divide the total number of hours to the population, a single person in Bangladesh didnt even get a single second of witnessing. Is there really a worldwide work? if nearly half (or even more than) of world population did not even had a chance to hear from a JW?

Country

Average in seconds

Bangladesh

Pakistan

30 Other Lands

India

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Nope! Our C.O. from a few years ago said that Witnesses have no presence in Somalia, North Korea or Afghanistan. But thankfully, now that Jesus beamed his Noo Lite ray at Brooklyn recently, we know that more than enough time is available to reach these people during the "Overlap."

Additionally, on the inside cover of one of the Yearbooks (don't ask me what year, I've since thrown them all out but I believe it was one of the last hard-cover ones), there was a color-shaded map of the world, indicating the activity in each country. Gosh--it's really upsetting me that I don't remember what year this book came out. Anyway, I used to show it to people lonnnng before the "overlapsation situation" came down the wire because there was a shade indicating "No Reported Activity" and it formed a swath from North Africa all across the Middle East and stopped in western Asia. I'd show that to people in the early 2000s when we all believed 9/11 meant HARDY-HAR-maggedon was imminent. It was a great way to refute. I used to say 10, 15 years ago that "We have all the time in the world left...look at all the uncovered territory." Of course, back then, that nearly got me run out of town. But now, with the Ova-lap Doctrine, I ended up being correct.

The entire inhabited earth will be preached and now that "generations" vaguely means "contemporaries" which vaguely suggests an "overlap," rest easy, everyone! This game just went into overtime!

• sabastious
    sabastious

They get to about 50% of the world. Nice try but no cigar.

-Sab

• jakeyen
    jakeyen

and we had these recent public talk asking the audience

"Do you know wahat is happening now? we got eartquake, tsunami, midlles est unrest, and Do you know whats going to happen this APRIL with the special promotion of 30 hours, Matt 24:14 fulfillment? the end is nearer niiirrreeer, as in we are in the last part of the end

well let us see

• jakeyen
    jakeyen

This game just went into overtime!

nice DarioKehl

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

there are a stack of countries where they have zero presence and these nations have huge populations;

Algeria

Egypt

Libya

Morocco

Syria

Bahrain

Saudi

Kuwait

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Oman

The Emirates

Qatar

Somalia

Jordan

Indonesia

Thailand

Malaysia

Myanmar

Vietnam

Laos

Cambodia

Singapore

just wondering what the population of that lot could be and how many JW's have presence there?

• Alfred
    Alfred

One of the last Public Talks I heard before finally waking up last year was about the proximity of Armageddon relative to the completion of the "worldwide work". The elder giving this talk kept stressing how close we were to the end and mentioned that we should not be overly concerned about countries with few JWs covering densly populated areas (like Bangladesh) because we now have the internet which is a tool we can use to reach the remaining people who deserve to discover "the Truth"... He was adamant about the fact that everyone on earth would eventually be witnessed to one way or the other so that no one would have any excuse when Armageddon finally arrived. I immediately imagined a poor 90-year old widow living in a shack in the middle of the woods where there are no roads, internet or electricity... that was when I turned to wife in the middle of the talk and said: "I'm leaving"... she begged me not to make a scene and I stayed. Afterwards we went to about 3 or 4 more meetings and then mutually decided never to return...

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Much of the published statistics are elaborate shams designed more to impress than convey intelligent data. As jakeyen has pointed out, Bangldesh, Pakistan and India are a case in point.

There are just three congregations in Bangldesh all made up of former Christians from different denominations, usually Roman Catholic, and all in the capital city Dhaka. There has been no penetration whatever into the vaster, rural Muslim population. For them the Watchtower is as mysterious as the man in the moon.

Pakistan is just the same, with 18 congregations, again all urban, Christianized and comfortable middle-class.

India is probably slightly better but again with a high preponderance of former Christians in the Watchtower fellowship. When I was there in the early 70s there was not a single Watchtower follower who was not from a non-Christian background. [Again mostly Roman Catholic]. There was a former Sikh, back in the 60s, who became a Watchtower follower, but this was only because he fell in love with and subsequently married a missionary girl.

Even in those relatively well off countries where the Watchtower operates, one could question the effectiveness of their evangelistic work. I challenge any Watchtower follower to line up a sampling of the general public on any street corner in London, Montreal, Sydney, Tokyo, and even in the Watchtower's own backyard, New York, and ask a simple question:

What do the words "Jehovah's Witnesses" mean to you?

The answers you will get will range from:

Are they a new rock group? Aren't they the ones who discovered golden plates or something? Are they the guys who kill their babies by prohibiting blood transfusions? and so on. Anyone who says "They are the only ones preaching God's kingdom"! can be shown to be a Watchtower follower anyway, which is statiscally possible, given a random sampling.

It is truly sad that after 131 years of frantic effort, this is all they have to show for it.

• nugget
    nugget

Even in countries with a greater proportion of witnesses the preaching work is not done with any passion or enthusiasm. It is not the hours spent that count but surely the quality of those conversations. This worldwide report is a mish mash of fudged hours and travel time mixed with poor quality witness work and avoidance tactics so that you speak to as few people as possible.

In my area we are lucky to see witnesses once a year down our road and we do not live in the back of beyond so many persistent not a homes may well live in deepest Africa.

This is not a productive work by any stretch of the imagination it is a way of keeping the rank and file in check and a method for guaging level of indoctrination.

• wobble
    wobble

Add to the above mentioned problem ,that for every overlapping year of the never ending generation of 1914, millions more are born, 80 plus million I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit