What are the people at Bethel like? What's the GB like?

by doubtful 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doubtful
    doubtful

I can't even count the number of times I've heard people say how incredibly humble and down-to-earth and caring the exectuives at Bethel are. I've had one first person encounter with a GB member..i forget his name although I would be able to identify him in a picture. He did seem genuinely nice. Yet, I also know that these people are on a serious power trip, and they are intentionally decietful, even if they feel the ends justify the means. They routinely obfuscate the truth, smudge numbers, and take quotes out of contexts to mislead the minds of their pawns. They've received an innumerable quanity of letters regarding the invalidity of the 1914 doctrine by now, but stubbornly refuse to discard it out of pride or because they know it will undermine both their credibility, their authority, and their stranglehold over their followers, because without 1914, we have no clue when Jesus started to reign, or if he ever will, and thus no basis for believing that we're in the last days or that the Watchtower was specially chosen by Jesus to be his earthly representative. Without the "last days" mentality, there is no sense of urgency. No incentive to get out there on knock on doors, forgoe an education or a career. This leads to more satisfaction with one's current station in life and inevitably leads to a loss of emotional and psychological dependence on the Watchtower.

So, I know these men can't just be delusional saints who sincerely believe all the crap they teach. They can't be so stupid as to still believe in 607-1914. They just know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and they choose to perpetuate a lie.

So, for those of you former Bethelites or travelling overseers who have had substantial interaction with the head honchos over at Brooklyn, can you objectively tell me what these men are like? Do they walk around with an air of superiority about them? Do you get the impression that they think they know everything, and that they're father figures and we're all helpless children?

And here's a big one. Is it true that the GB members live in penthouse suites in Brooklyn, or that they at least did until recently? I have heard this claim before, but I've never confirmed it.

I also often hear a lot of accusations made about Rutherford's character, his alleged promiscuity and alcoholism, but I've never seen any concrete proof that would serve to convince any JW of the veracity of the claim. I'm looking for ammunition here.

I've also been told that there are a lot of homosexuals at Bethel, known as NPGs (non-practicing gays). Is this true?

And what are most Bethalites like? Are they incredibly satisfied, zealous and happy (ie - uber brainwashed), or are most of them tired, disillusioned, and envious of others with money and freedom, and simply stay for fear of having to support themselves out in the cold harsh world outside of the confines of the factory?

So for those of you who have been at Bethel, please provide some perspective.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

http://freeminds.org/organization/brooklyn-bethel/freddy-klein-and-the-apostate-books.html

In general, that website will give you the break-down.

There is one story passed along about Knorr is his later days seen wearing a funny t-shirt saying "Hell" or "Damn" or something to that effect.

Also, please view the following link and download, if only temporarily, the document. If you can't read CoC, you must read this.

http://jwfacts.com/watchtower/experiences/anderson.php

The Watchtower is not the perfect lil place one might have thought it to be. History shows any person, and especially any organisation, is prone to corruption, power-trips, etc. No exceptions.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

I was at Watchtower Farm in 1978, quite a while back. My impression of Bethel was that it was a business. People didn't act like they were there in service of God, well some did, but the overseers and supervisors definitely were interested in productivity.

I was dismissed when I admitted I was gay and even that was handled in a very businesslike manner. They had ordered the very contract I had signed when I made my application to Bethel, held it out to me and asked me if that was my signature on the ap declaring that I was "morally clean".

Its a business as are all religions. Its just that the products are much more dangerous than those of most businesses.

• cult classic
    cult classic

JIG - That was very unkind and unloving. How typical of them.

• cult classic
    cult classic

doubtful - There are thousands of them, so you will meet all kinds. Some of the most arrogant people I have ever met are Bethelites. And I enjoyed the company of Bethelites who were the most humble people I have ever met as well.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is easy to fake being nice. Every organization is supposed to put up a good front. Yet, behind the scenes, they are often crooks.

Example: JP Morgan. You look at the commercials, you think they are nice. You open an account there, they appear nice. You take out a loan, they appear nice. But, when you are late on your last payment (or they mis-handle your last payment, so it doesn't get processed properly), they foreclose first and ask questions later--and confiscate the whole value of your property without any shame. Too bad you never know about it before it comes to this--and this is all the major banks, not just JP Morgan.

Example: When is the last time you heard Bernanke publicly denouncing people as "scumbags that need to be eliminated from the earth"? The worst I heard is that "Inflation is too low--I would like to bring it up to around 2%". Yet, as anyone that has been to the grocery store or the gas pump lately knows, you are paying more than 2% more than this time last year. Last year, gold was under $1100 per ounce--today, even after this week's flash crash, it is still more than 2% more than this time last year. (And silver is even more.) Someone that seems genuinely nice is ruining our dollar, and is soon to create price hyperinflation that will affect the whole world.

You don't get people to believe your lies by being bitter upfront. This is true with Osama Obama. This is true with the Fed. This is true with the Rothschilds. This is true with your local branch of your big bank. And, it is true with the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery. By pretending to be humble, they get people to believe their lies so they will be led to waste their whole lives and give up the value of their lives.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I went on a trip in 2000 to NYC . While there I had my first chance to tour Bethel ,and have dinner with the Bethelites in one of the main dining rooms .

My impression was this : very business like ,almost a military feel to it ....I disliked the feeling very much . It DID NOT come across as a place of brotherly love and warmth . In the evening we went back to visit a young Bethelite that took us up to see his room ,it made me sad to see he had so little personal space ,and slept on a bed roll on the floor . During the day I watched peoples faces as they rushed from dinner to work ,I saw stress and pressure .Not the smiling ,jovial ,relaxed expressions I expected to see in God's house .

I saw one older GB member being led into the dining room by a young aide ,the older man shuffled his feet and appeared to be talking to his shoes .Not a vote of confidence from me if he was still an active GB member .I imagine he was one of the older ones being taken care of instead of actually being active .

I met the Gb member that did the voice reading of the old Bible Story book ,at an assembly .He seemed nice enough ,but in his talk he seemed far removed from what modern families really deal with on a day to day basis .

That is all I have to share .

• Doubting_Tomas
    Doubting_Tomas

I have heard that tearm a few times NPG and every time refering to Bethelites ... Do you live in the NYC area may i ask ?

• doubtful
    doubtful

Nope. I'm on the west coast.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Was there in the late 80s as a worker bee in the binder-eeee.

The GB that I briefly met or observed but didn't speak at length to:

A. Schroeder - grumpy and mad that the waiters broke up his table because there wasn't enough people sitting at it...but maybe he was really hungry...

John Barr - very friendly, seemed to really care when he shook your hand.

T Jaracz - aloof, and his wife was a shrew that's for sure.

F Franz - he was blind and being led around but did hear his prayer at Gilead Grad which was amazing he was a smart old guy with feet of clay as we now know.

Lymann Swingle - very genuine, but nice. One of the few that comes out o.k. in COC...

Spoke to:

Milton Henschel - was like Abe Lincoln, very tall soft spoken, seemed nice, and also seemed humble.

Dan Sydlik - very funny, very cool, if he didn't like you then you knew it. He was not a faker.

Karl Klein - a bit nuts, kinda weird, could barely understand his voice. He chewed me out royal once for having a guest visit after hours that wasn't wearing meeting clothes...they were devestated, I told them not to worry about it after he stomped off down the carpeted corridor...

A few years after leaving, had Guy Pierce serve my cong. Very very smart guy, friendly and a great speaker.

My take on it all: They may be sincere, but they are caught up in the concept, and that is what consigns them to the tar pits. Stuck in the black muck and trying to keep it together to protect their ass-ets

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit