Assemblies

by finnrot 20 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

I was raised a Jehovahs Witness from birth, but even as a little child I had my doubts. That's why I was never baptized. I believed in Jehovah but I just thought it was somehow a load of bullshit. I don't know exactly how to explaine it, but I just didn't totally buy into this cult.

I hated going to all the meetings, the bible studies and going door to door. Especially if we were canvassing a neighborhood where I knew somebody from my school. How embarrasing!

The one thing I loved was going to a conventoin at the Oakland Coliseum.

The time frame was the late 60's to mid 70's. By that time there were at least 2 false prophecies of the end of this wicked system of things that didn't come true during my lifetime. That was it for me. I was no longer a believer. I'm not stupid, the Orginization was and is obviously a false prophet in my book. Too many false predictions.

BUT!!! The conventions at the Oakland Coliseum were still a blast for me. My dad was what was considered an armchair JW, so we would spend most of the time wandering around the outside of the coliseum going from food tent to food tent.

The best treat I remember was the cantaloupe cut in half with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle, I still have fond memorie of how ggood that tasted. I must admit that I enjoyed the plays that they had on the stage on the baseball field, but I was just there for the entertainment and the food, the long boring talks were for scoping out the girls and just using my binoculars to look at anything but the boring speakers.

• snakeface
    snakeface

I've always hated assemblies too. They were WAY too long! The material could be covered in a WT study article rather than incoveniencing everyone. It is so difficult for the elderly, the handicapped, people with babies or small children, to travel and sit in those cramped seats all day. An entire day's worth of material could be covered in a one-hour WT study.

• sir82
    sir82

Some of my best JW-centric memories are from district conventions.

On the other hand, circuit assemblies / special assembly days have been invariably boring / depressing / mind-numbing.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I very often caught up on my sleep by napping at the conventions.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I remember going to assemblies at the Oakland Coliseum too. Running around during the lunch break almost made up for the boring morning and afternoon sessions. It was so much more fun than going to the Cow Palace.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Yes, but think how much more fun you would've had if they took you to Disney Land instead, LOL!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Myself and a fellow apostate left Twickenham mid day and went on a tour of London getting more innebriated all the time. We got back in time for the bus home!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

out of the darkness and hell of being raised a JW from birth the small light that sometimes shone was the trip to the Ass'emblies when we were kids, it was the variety,change of scenery and being able to meet up with friends that we enjoyed, The CA at Dorking was most pleasant,a lovely area surrounded by parkland and sometimes we would go for a swim after in the public pool opposite, and the shear size of the DA at Twickenham every summer was great for us kids.

• Gayle
    Gayle

It is really a sad thing when youth remembers the only great thing or best thing was some ice cream there,,doesn't speak well of the rest of the vacation or trip or event. I think we were desparate to make the best of it and found some of our own joy in the midst of the insanity,,I guess it becomes a good mark of survivor skills that we developed.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Understand where you are coming from Gayle, dreadful to put kids through so many years of torment ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit