So much for being Christian

by MrFreeze 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• VIII
    VIII

DP

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

When I was in high school, a school friend of mine was killed in a car accident. One of the girls my age was saying, "Why does [Jadeen] care?" and "Well, he's not going to be in the New System."

Such sympathy and compassion

• whathappened
    whathappened

My mom is the same way. If you are not a JW, you are sub human. They care more for animals than they do people.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    That is an unbelievable response.

It is, but unfortunately people say and do unbelievable things all the time. Most of them, from my experience, are attached to some faith. Faith makes people feel they have a licence to be a jerk sometimes.

-Sab

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

society uses misinformation and religious pride to breed prejudice. Prejudice, in turn, blocks natural empathy and, for some folks, makes a fertile ground for hate.

Wow, I'm tempted to paste that into my FB wall for whatever JW's are still on my friends list. Great statement SBC.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother (a jw) once said to me that it must be hard having to have friends who do drugs. I looked at her like she had lost her mind cuz I don't have friends who actively pursue that sort of lifestyle and it blew my mind that she thought I would put up with something like that. I've never used any illicit drugs and I hardly ever drink. So I told her no I don't have those sort of friends nor do I allow anything like that around my children. I don't know if she believed me. I've come to the conclusion that I can't control the twisted opinion that my parents have of me just because I choose not to be a jw. They're gonna believe what they want to believe, and I will continue to be a good person despite the watchtower.

• little witch
    little witch

Being a good fellow human is hard. It takes engagement, experience, and at times humility. Some people are lazy and accept the quick sell to bypass simple living and fellowship with others and are content to live their lifetimes out by black and white thinking and letting any meaningful decisions be handed over to others. It isnt just religions that do this. It is just the lazy way out of growing up and taking responsibility.

Failure to educate oneself is not exclusive to religion, but is deplorable and confusing coming from anyone. The common thread is ignorance and the groups that find it valuable. It leaves us befuddled to relate to because it is ignorant. Rejoice in the fact that You are not. The truth doesnt hurt anyone, If someone said that to Me, I would simply reply, "that is an ignorant statement". Rather than let it be on My shoulders, I would not take it on to start with I would put it right back where it came from (parent or no parent).

I am glad such drivel hurts Your conscience, You are the better person.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I really don't care for people who are too judgemental or think too highly of themselves in the "spiritual" sense. However, as much as some JWs try not to be judgemental, it is really impossible for them not to be since they are constantly reminded by the WT that they're a part of a small group chosen by God to his work. Also, they're constatntly bombarded by WT literature that trashes other religions and other lifestyles so they actually become mentally conditioned over time... not all JWs of course (some JWs are just naturally judgemental)

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Failure to educate oneself is not exclusive to religion, but is deplorable and confusing coming from anyone. The common thread is ignorance and the groups that find it valuable.

Great points. This is why I think critical thinking skills should be taught early in life. Ignorance (and it's byproduct, misinformation) are a global pandemic. Religion is just one carrier, albeit a major one. And self-refining critical thinking is the vaccine.... one that children need before the disease infects them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit