So, do you still think that nuclear power plants are a good idea?

by I quit! 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say that I believe there is an efficient way to separate hydrogen from water, and that it has been suppressed. Instead I said safer. But this is only the tip of the iceberg.....

• freetosee
    freetosee

No, never did. right now we might be dependant of nuclear energy, but that is because we have made ourselves dependant of it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I am not a big fan of nuclear, especially using uranium. I have done my own research on this subject. Since inception there have been and continue to be regular incidents at the plants around the world outside of the ones that get world press (like Three Mile Island in 1979, Chernobyl in 1986 and now Fukishima in 2011). Radioactive substances are regularly released into the environment.

Nuclear power from uranium is used primarily to legitimize and make available resources for the military. This is why the nuclear program was started in the U.S., including Project/Operation Plowshare and who are still behind it today. There are other less harmful substances we could be using.

Anyone living downwind from one of these places would be smart to move upwind.

Nuclear power is sold as being 'clean'. It is not. Outside of the toxicity of radioactive releases and the waste products, it has a huge carbon footprint supporting it.

There are communities today that are using sustainable, renewable technologies to power their homes. One example is Village Homes in Davis, California ( http://www.villagehomesdavis.org/home ). They have done some very innovative things to be quite green.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Personally, I think the tides and currents of our oceans can and will be the power source of the future.

As for nuclear, it's nuclear. With all the benefits and risks of it. It's not a bomb and many are operated safely, but I still wouldn't want one in my backyard. Uranium is a natural element and has been exposed to the atmosphere many times, just naturally. I think we'll learn how to operate and place nuclear plants better. To answer your question, I think nuclear is a good idea, but not the greatest idea out there....at least not right now.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

who could have imagined that diesel generators wouldn't work under water?

• designs
    designs

French scientists recently published a study on the rise of Leukemia among children around France's 19 Nuclear power plants, similar to the findings of German scientists.

Institut National de la Sante' et du la Recherche Medicale INSERM

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

We will see fusion reactors being built within the next 50 odd years if not sooner but in the meantime nuclear is by far and away the best solution if we want to produce power without much carbon output however, if the carbon output staves off an ice age and opens up productive land in Siberia and other frozen areas via global warming then maybe iwe should be keeping our carbon producing energy stations running.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm not convinced we've exploited the potential of tidal power generation yet. We haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg. I'd go there before I'd go nuclear. The waste disposal problem with nukes is FAR more serious than frikkin carbon dioxide. It isn't even close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit