So why are there earthquakes?

by trevorbv 41 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, a tsunami is just the "side effect" of an underwater earthquake, not much way around one if there is an under water earthquake.

Not sure if it can serve a purpose per say though....

• unshackled
    unshackled
    evolution is accepted by the majority of Christians.
    Heck the RCC with over a bilion christians accepts it.

I wish that were true, but sadly not. Only 4 out of 10 Americans believe in it, let alone the majority of Christians. Ask your nearest tea party member what they believe.

Just because the official stance of the RCC accepts evolution, it is an exaggeration to state that every single Catholic also agrees. Heck, most likely have no clue the RCC even backs it.

Edit: forgot the Gallup poll link...http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/four-americans-believe-strict-creationism.aspx

Also note 40% of americans believe god created humans in their present form.

• dgp
    dgp

About the comment above, I can say that the statement about Catholics is true and false. If you talk to most priests, and even if you check some of their Bibles, you'll find that Catholics have no problem accepting the theory of evolution. Yet if you talk to the oldest Catholics, they don't. What happens is, in such a large organization, some people follow the "new lights" and others don't. It takes generations for a change to happen.

I think it was John Paul II who said that fossils were there as proof of evolution. When I was in college, the priest who taught us Theology (yes) said that universities were good places for Catholics to shed the beliefs that disasters were caused by God.

You won't find a young priest or seminarian who doesn't believe evolution is true. Remember that there are many Catholic universities around the world.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I know that it may be hard for some, but the US is not the world, LOL !

On a serious note, when I see those numbers, it blows me away.

• unshackled
    unshackled

PSac...yeah I know the US is not the world. I'm Canadian, WE'RE the world. LOL

I thought the results would be much better (accepting evolution) in the UK and Canada, and they are, but not by a whole lot. Dawkins at the end of The God Delusion lamented on poll results in the UK showing high non-acceptance of evolution.

I have no data to back this up, but I'd bet the mass populace of Muslims don't accept it either.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

No, muslims don't.

I think the issue with evolution is that, no matter how much scientsist THINK the correct message of evolution is getting out, it isn't and hostile guys like Dawkins are their own worse enemy.

Many people still think evolution means:

No God.

Man came from monkeys.

And many still think these issues are unresolved:

the missing link

fossil records

design complexity

Fact is, if guys like Dawkins would push evolution to the public without an aggenda attached to it, they would see better results.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Exactly, far too much misinformation about evolution out there. So frustrating considering how much evidence there is for it...and it has nothing to do with belief in god.

I wouldn't label Dawkins as hostile, but that's subjective I suppose. Either way, if he's hostile then I'd say those fighting against evolution being taught in schools are equally hostile.

I'd really hope I'm still alivee to see humanity advance past this stage.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I can honestly say that if Dawkins had spent and woudl spend his time and resources clearing up the myths and misconceptions about Evolution and less time attacking religion, he would be doing a greater service.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Everyone knows that earthquakes are caused by God Farting ............sheesh

• unshackled
    unshackled

I hear ya, Psac. Two sides of the coin here...I have no problem with organized religion being attacked. Not talking about personal belief in whatever you want, but structured, organized religions that mislead mass populations for political and financial purposes. Attack those scumbags I say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit