Malawi Party Card, Scans and comment

by BluesBrother 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am indebted to Marvin Shilmer for the info, on his excellent site.

Link .http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/03/malawi-savage-betrayal-by-watchtower.html

I was so pleased to see the actual cards that caused all the trouble, after wanting to see it for so long, that I post it today.

First, the background in case anybody does not know the terrible events that happened. In the late 1960's to early 1970's Jehovah's Witnesses were cruelly persecuted and subjected to the worst possible beatings, rape torture and death. Many of them fled the country and lost homes and possessions . The reason for this was their refusal to join the one political party of the state and to carry the Party Card. Around the World J W's do not join Political Parties, viewing such an act as siding with Satan's world and rejecting the Kingdom of God as the rightful government . They could have avoided the trouble if they would only carry one of these cards.

Translated as :

Now, what do we make of the offending card? I had anticipated that it must have contained some strong endorsement of the Malawi Congress Party and its leader Dr Hastings Banda and a rejection of any other government, but ....the wording is pretty bland really IMHO.

Consider what Jehovah's Witnesses are permitted to join and still remain in good standing with their faith :

1) They may belong to Trade Unions, even though they are quasi-political organizations.

2) If a Country requires its citizens to carry identity cards bearing the state name and symbol, there is no objection.

3) When a Danish Witness family were denied Canadian citizenship, The Watchtower 1976 December 1st page 712 reported that "The single obstacle to a grant of citizenship,' writes Ian Hunter of the University of Western Ontario law faculty, was the fact that, in taking the oath of allegiance, they would not agree to participate in any war effort"......So I deduce from that the family were willing, with The Watchtower's blessing, to swear allegiance to The sovereign and state of Canada , just excepting going to war.

4) It has been well documented here on this site that while this was happening in Malawi, the Witnesses in Mexico were permitted to bribe local officials to obtain a document that said they were excluded from a military call-up, although they remained technically on the military reserve.

5) The Watchtower Society in the 1990's signed an agreement with the United Nations Organization to become a NGO committed to upholding the U N Charter and supporting its interests.

6) When a Witness applies for a National Passport they have no objections to signing statements of loyalty to the state. Of course the Malawi document IS still a membership of the Congress Party. But I venture to suggest that in a one party state, membership does not carry the same political implication as it would do in a free society. Malawians were not so much making a choice for that government as simply obeying the "Superior Authority's" rule to carry a card that implied little more than an identity card. The responsiblity for the heinous acts rest squarely on the Congress Party thugs and its then leader , Dr Banda, but a responsible religious organisation might have weighed the matter more carefully and adopted a more flexible approach in these special circumstances. Is the torture ,rape and murder of a large number of your members really less important than holding this worthless card? I suggest that a really Godly organization would do more to protect its people from evil men....
  • saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Thank you - Blues Brothers. I did the same as you when Marvin made that post - I enlarged the pic of the party card so I could read it and was so dumbfounded - your explanatory comments so excellent too - we can't excuse the inflammatory reactions of the government to the refusal to sign or pay the small tax which is what it actually amounted to but the whole fiasco could so simply have been avoided by the GB in New York whom I believe simply "triggered" upon the word "Party" card without doing sufficient investigation to see what it really amounted to

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

I was a Jehovah's Witness for 20 years and I am technically still one though I do not attend meetings any more, do not believe that it is the true faith nor has gods backing. This subject about the Malawi Party cards and the Mexican military cards was a pivotal moment for me in my life. I remember sitting at the computer reading about this revelation about 9 months ago. I couldn't believe it! I was sick to my stomach at the same time recalling all the times at the conventions and meetings throughout the years they would mention the atrocities that happened there. I remember the speakers at the conventions shouting "Would you be able to be like those brothers and sisters and take a stand for Jehovah in the face of such opposition!" I felt very betrayed and hurt for the people that had heeded the organizations words.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

Welcome Igot2beme! I didn't even know about the Malawi issue until recently. It made me feel very upset.

NLW's wife

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

How do you spell evil? WTBTS.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Thank you! And thanks to Marvin for all his hard work in digging up stuff like this. I've always wanted to see just what was on this card.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    How do you spell evil? WTBTS.

Truly as bad as it gets. The leaders are completely negligent of it's people's needs. Their delusions of grandeur got a lot of people brutally killed and they are no different today, in fact they welcome more. They want their people to die because it provides evidence for their asinine doctrines.

They are a lost people, the Witnesses. A leaderless tribe of spooked rodents waiting for death to take finally overtake them.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for a great post. It made me shudder to see that scan, childhood memories of the graphic horror stories come flooding back.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I remember Malawi and the letter writing going on the late 70's, too. This is one the absolute most upsetting things I learned from reading C of C.

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

Hello NLW's wife, thank you for welcoming me. I have been reading a lot of the topics and posts but never participated until now. It feels good to be

able to express my feeling to others who are going through the same emotional turmoil associated with the WTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit