The Face Of Jehovah

by PublishingCult 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I was one of the lucky ones (sarcasm). I was born into the Cult of the Publishing Corporation. My earliest childhood memories are tangled horribly with the sights and sounds a Kingdom Hall. Flashes of faces and suits and ties, stepford smiles all around, the droning of a male voice over the speakers, the plunk plunk plunk scratchy sound of prerecorded Kingdom songs on vinyl played over the PA system . . . voices singing From House to House in unison. Getting my two year-old ass torn up in the bathroom, I can only assume, for being disruptive and cranky during the closing prayer. There was the big orange Paradise book placed in my lap and opened to images of death and destruction.

I remember this one dark cold night. I think I had witnessed my older brother, four years older than I, doing something he could apparently get in trouble for. He first told me in detail who Jehovah was, what he could do, that he sees everything, knows everything, and can do anything. He told me about Armageddon in detail. I was scared. He had my attention. He asked if I promised not to tell mom, and I am sure at that point I had forgotten all about what I had seen him do. I was so very young. I promised, not knowing what a promise actually was. He made me take an oath before Jehovah that I wouldn't tell mom. He made me say the words like some incantation, "I take an oath before Jehovah that I will not tell mom . . . ". Then he reminded me of what Jehovah would do to me if I should break my oath to him.

It was during that experience that my imagination, for the first time, conjured up the image of Jehovah. I saw his face. I saw what he looked like. The image of his face based on everything I had experienced from infancy until that night came into my mind with vivid detail. He was there above me in my room. I could hear him breathing he was so close and watching me, his presence there, menacing, threatening, to remind me not break my oath. I suddenly felt him watching me all the time. I was four years old when I felt the oppressive accusing eyes of Jehovah burning into me.

I have actually made an image of what Jehovah looked like to me my entire life, and I want to show you my impression of "the only true god".

But, I am telling you this story because I am very curious to know what the face of Jehovah looks like to all of you. This is sort of an experiment.

If you would, please, either draw a picture and post it, or write a description of his face. I would like to for all of us to compare these images, for I am curious to know what face your minds have produced when the name, Jehovah, is spoken.

Thank you in advance for participating in this experiment.

PC

• Ding
    Ding

Wow, what a powerful description of what you went through as a child!

I'm sure you're not the only one who has gone through this fright.

It's no surprise, is it, that JWs have no sense of having Jehovah's approval on their lives?

Since I wasn't raised in the WTS, I don't have those memories, a fact for which I am truly grateful.

The WTS decries Christendom's scaring people with Hell.

I was raised in "Christendom" but no one scared me the way the WT has done to you.

How do born-ins ever develop an image of Jehovah as a loving Father?

Or don't they?

• PublishingCult
  • dudeson
    dudeson

Wow, that is creepy. Looks like Frankenstein mixed with Matthew Perry.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Thank you PC for sharing. I never had a face in my head for God, but I'm curious to see how others envisioned this entity called Jehovah.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

PC - I'm imagining that face turning from the profile to looking at me. How frightening.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    Looks like Frankenstein mixed with Matthew Perry

Ha ha, yeah it does.

• watson
    watson

I can relate to your story.

Sidebar: God looks like a grown up Bart Simpson.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@PC-

I am sorry you had such a terrifying image of Jehovah as a child. My parents told me God was good. As a JW , however, my image of him was pretty much as seen in the visions of God in the Bible: he is sitting on his throne. I did not picture an angry face. That is such a shame your parents gave you such a horrible impression of God. I tried to envision him as a loving father- the father thing never worked well for me, so I imagined him as being my best friend who loved me, cared about me and would watch over and take care of me.

Does God always look that angry? That image makes you think he is always mean but I guess that is the image you had of him.

How does every one else picture God? Those who believe you are going to heaven- what do you expect to see when you see God there? ( I don't believe I am going to heaven.)

• Heaven
    Heaven

I never imagined a face. Just clouds with light beams coming out. That's as close as I got to imagining him. Kinda like this:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit