Time to stop obsessing

by Qcmbr 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I think I may have reached another crossroads.

The most tolerant woman in the world and I were discussing it last night. I've seen my loss of faith like a relationship breakup, I've done the gut wrenching fear bit and I've been heavily invested in the anger and angst phase where I've sought out people who believed as strongly as I once did and challenged them (like an ex-lover calling up for a shouting match.) In many ways I've obsessed about my new direction, reading, arguing and debating. I even joined a chat forum on voxli created by 'shockofgod' , an evangelical who directly challenges atheists to debate. My wife pointed out that my lack of religion is my new religion. Fair point. I've thought I was over religion before but I find myself on forums posting stuff constantly - I've not yet learnt to let go.

For me the unwiring will go on, unpicking thought patterns that I built up over years of subtle indoctrination and I feel really satisfied, sadly so, that I debated with muslims, multi-brand christians, agnostics and atheists and found no genuine authentic supernatural stories. The surprise was that everyone religious has the same basic mindset and each religion just repackages the same story. There are more sophisticated thinkers than others, more eloquent, more emotional, more convinced people but overall - no real, solid reality to base anything on - just stories distinguishable from fairytales only by the application of faith. Mainly nice people so invested in the emporer's clothes that they subconsciously refuse to see. This was a bit like the relationship phase where you know its gone south but you secretly still want to know why, still want to make the ex jealous and still , sometimes, harbour a sentimental longing for a nostalgic past.

I think that stage is fading away. So I'm going to say - goodbye - once again (lol) as I try and move off this plateau (I find myself posting the same old same old all the time on multiple public forums - I've made my point to myself). It's goodbye like a familiar friend who lives in another country - not fully gone , not forgotten - just not there! If I find something novel to say I'll almost certainly be back. I just need to prove to myself (and my bosslady!) that I no longer need to obsess. When I 'fight' now I want to fight and debate because its important, not because its my first habit.

I owe this forum more than I ever put in.Thx.

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

"My wife pointed out that my lack of religion is my new religion. Fair point. I've thought I was over religion before but I find myself on forums posting stuff constantly - I've not yet learnt to let go."

I'm unaware of the details of your situation but i don't believe that it is unhealthy to discuss and have an interest in religion. Even if you don't subscribe to a religious belief system, you don't necessarily have to remove religious discussion from your life entirely. Unless of course, you want to.

Although, I can understand the need to let it go if you are obsessing about it to the point in which it affects your life.

Good luck!

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Qcmbr, I'll miss you, but dree your own wierd! It matters less what we believe than what we do.

Keep evolving, Retro

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Sounds like a healthy conclusion to me . Best wishes

• rebel8
    rebel8

You should definitely do what's healthiest for you!

I too have curtailed my time/energy spent on this topic. I take breaks from it when I notice it's doing me more harm than good (just like any "medicine" can do if taken too often).

I've excised most of the parts of me broken by the cult. I've still got a little shrapnel inside, which comes to the surface once in a while--though the pieces of shrapnel are smaller and come less often. When a piece comes to the surface I use tools such as discussion forums to work them out.

Cheers to you.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

All the best to you in your future. I'm sure you'll be missed.

Loz x

• Curtains
    Curtains

best wishes to you qcmbr

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Enjoy your vacation..See you next week..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

Best wishes. NLW hopes to be at the point in 20 years where he no longer thinks about JW's. I hope that will be true for us.

NLW's wife

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You may feel differently in awhile. Some of us hope so, anyway.

This place can be a nuthouse at times. You not participating will just lower the average IQ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit