Governing Body Autographs Gift Bibles For Cuban Authorities

by PublishingCult 57 Replies latest jw friends

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Publishing Cult:

I am NOT an apologist for the WTO at all. Else why would I be here, lol. That being said, I have to say that the caption saying "Governing Body members sign gift Bibles for public officials" may have nothing to do with autographing Bibles.

Many have purchased or obtained a book for someone as a gift and have written a brief message in the inside cover. The GB probably wrote something like this:

"Please enjoy this Bible. We thank you for your kind treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses in your country. Sincerely, Lloyd Barry."

The GB have been misled and they are misleading others. But many would look at this article and go, yeah, big deal? Isn't being an NGO a bit of a bigger scandal?

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

@ RayPublisher:

The language is clear: "Governing Body members sign gift Bibles for public officials".

Definition of SIGNATURE (Merriam-Webster)

1 a: the act of signing one's name to something b: the name of a person written with his or her own hand

Since the caption clearly says they were signing Bibles, and since we know the WTBTS publishes Bibles, their own NWT version, we can be certain they were not signing the country's guest registry. We can only go by the careful choice of language used by the WTBTS.

Now, if however, you are talking about a gift inscription, the language to be used for such an act should make a clear distinction between the two ideas. To suggest it might only be a gift inscription is to merely suggest it might be a gift inscription, and you could be correct.

The photo, however, highly suggests a formal book signing, for how many givers of books as gifts do so in the context of a photo op and sitting formally at a table simply to inscribe a message of appreciation to government officials and/or politicians unless it was a tacit act of political alignment or acquiescence?

Which actually brings us to your reminder about the NGO scandal.

This entire trip to Cuba by the governing body smacks of schmoozing with government officials, acting out of harmony with their stated Scriptural position when it comes to religious leaders and their dealings with government and politicians, or as the WTBTS puts it in the book, The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah, chap. 16 p. 297 par. 11, "hobnob with the politicians" in order to further "kingdom interests".

The GB loves to point their self-righteous finger at the Catholic clergy, for example, who cooperate "with [the] business and political groups in trying to persuade their parishioners that all was well". (WT 12/01/80)

Why is it the governing body can violate their own standards by hobnobbing with governments, and sign oaths of allegiance to them to further kingdom interests when my JW child must suffer ostracism by peers and teachers for not saluting the flag?

Whatever the case may be, signing or inscribing, this shameless public display of hobnobbing with government officials only lends more weight to the UN NGO issue. Surely, we can reasonably agree on that point.

• dgp
    dgp

Does anyone actually believe that, after fifty-one year of preaching atheism, anyone at the Cuban government read a line of those bibles?

• VM44
    VM44

Are those GB members signing hardback or paperback Bibles?

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

PC

Excellent point on the "hobnobbing". It is the old double standard at work yet again.

I appreciate your acknowledging my point by saying " To suggest it might only be a gift inscription is to merely suggest it might be a gift inscription, and you could be correct."

It's one more note in their symphony of dubious spiritual deeds. I do believe most of them are sincere though, and are "caught up in the concept" as mentioned in Don Cameron's book. I met several of them during my brief time as a worker bee there, and did witness a few arrogant episodes, but for the most part they were/are simply "regular guys" trying to do the best they can as Ray Franz alludes to a few times in COC. They are not equipped or educated enough to be holding the reins that they do.

Which is why Jesus should be in control of Jehovah's Witnesses, not them...

</sermon> lol

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Friends,

A few years ago I found somewhere on the internet a picture with GB members meeting Cuban government peope (I think they were from the Cuban Central Comity or Polit Bureau).

For me the evidence that GB members are direct involved in political arrangments.

The GB members are the one in the WT organisation, who don't believe in God. They know it's all fake!

• carla
    carla

marking

• sabastious
    sabastious

I wonder what most Witnesses would have to say about this. They can't possibly condone such audacious acts from the Governing Body. It's a good piece of evidence that the Governing Body has no shame and are completely out of their minds.

-Sab

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yet they completely ignored it when it came out. Either that or it's true that most witnesses don't read the literature.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Yet they completely ignored it when it came out. Either that or it's true that most witnesses don't read the literature.

They must have ignored it... but it just seems impossible doesn't it?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit