Redemption, Salvation, Atonement? The fly in the ointment

by SweetBabyCheezits 87 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

This is a very simple way to put it but I'm not sure if it is what everyone is here talking about (which is getting confusing!) but anyway:

We inherited sin and death from Adam and Eve.

The wages sin pays is death. We die. We are dead. that would be that,but...

What Did Adam have before he sinned? The prospect of eternal life for him and his offspring. What did he do with it? Lost it by rebelling against God. Thus he could not pass it on to us, as he no longer had it.

What if there was another perfect human who did not sin? He'd get everlasting life. What if he had this- the right to everlasting life-same prospect Adam had- but chose to give it up for himself and allow it to be given to Adam's opffspring instead?

But there could never be another perfect human. So God transfers the life of his Son Jesus to the womb of Mary and has Jesus born as a perfect human.

Jesus stays faithful to God and has no sin. He now has the same prospect Adam had before he sinned. Everlasting life in the paradise earth. Jesus voluntarily gives that up and in his mercy God allows the offspring of Adam to have it. Thus, Jehovah can now resurrect Adam's dead offspring and apply to them the value of Jesus' sacrifice. In other words, God will let us have the everlasting life we would have inherited from Adam had he not thrown it away by sinning, by Jesus' voluntarily giving it up for us.

Perfect Adam no sin= everlasting life for him and his offspring

Perfect Jesus no sin=everlasting life-voluntarily given up for Adam's offspring.

Anyway- I hope my point is somehow being made clear!

The value of Jesus' sinless perfect life can be applied to Adam's offspring under this mercifull arangement by God. The everlasting life in the paradise earth Jesus would have had for himself and his offspring is given instead to us. We get from Jesus what we would have gotten from Adam had he not sinned.

• tec
    tec
    What Did Adam have before he sinned? The prospect of eternal life for him and his offspring. What did he do with it? Lost it by rebelling against God. Thus he could not pass it on to us, as he no longer had it.

I find that and its implications great food for thought, and clearly presented. So I will mull it over. Thanks.

Tammy

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Tammy!

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Factfinder: I hope my point is somehow being made clear!

Yes, you've explained the JW perspective very well! And if I were unclear on the JW view, that would be an excellent introduction. In this case, I know it well, and I've already rejected it on the basis of being too ludicrous to be anywhere close to truth.

We inherited sin and death from Adam and Eve.

And how is that just?

The wages sin pays is death. We die.

So my friend's unborn child had to pay for which sins exactly?

I'll admit, the JW spin is clever at first glance. But there are too many unanswered questions precluding man's fall from grace. For example, I thought the punishment should fit the crime, though. Funny that Adam got one chance, no mercy, just death for him and his offspring, plus suffering for generations to come... yet, say, Peter denies his lord three times (among other sins), gets a pouty face from JC, and he only loses a little pride for himself.

I feel the whole concept is ridiculous if I don't being already believe that the Bible is the holy word of God. It's almost like you'd have to first just.. believe it as a kid somehow... and then try rationalize the irrational parts as an adult. You know?

What if there was another perfect human who did not sin? He'd get everlasting life. What if he had this- the right to everlasting life-same prospect Adam had- but chose to give it up for himself and allow it to be given to Adam's opffspring instead?

1. If we're talking everlasting life in HEAVEN, what exactly did Jesus choose to "give up"? According to popular theology, Jesus is alive and well. The game was rigged with a little nepotism. He was reportedly out of commission for 3 days... not even a blink from the perspective of eternity, even if you count his time as a human. Sorry, no big sacrifice there. Sacrifice means you give something up. From what I understand the President and Vice President are still filling their respective roles, still as powerful as ever, and haven't given anything notable up.
    2. If we're talking everlasting life on EARTH, I'd like to pass along some a recent discovery: People still die.

But there could never be another perfect human. So God transfers the life of his Son Jesus to the womb of Mary and has Jesus born as a perfect human.

Why, again, didn't he just forgive... without all the strings attached? He could've set a really good example for the rest of us instead of acting jealous and petty.

Jesus stays faithful to God and has no sin.

You gotta admit, the game was a bit rigged in his favor, though, eh?

He now has the same prospect Adam had before he sinned. Everlasting life in the paradise earth.

No, Jesus had the prospect of getting crucified. Why would he have come down to this shit-hole on a mission to save us only to look around and go, "Hey, I kinda like it down here, minus the crown of thorns and those 12 whiney stalkers. Y'know, I might just stay forever!"

Jesus voluntarily gives that up and in his mercy God allows the offspring of Adam to have it.

So lemme get this straight: Jesus gave up the prospect for everlasting life on earth, voluntarily, and just settled for heaven.. or as the Cherubs call it, "Second-Best". And he did this just for us, so that WE could have everlasting life on earth. That's generous! But one problem: BAPTIZED FOLK DIE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

"In his mercy" - in this case - sounds like something cultists would say about their leader or an abused wife would say about her husband.

Thus, Jehovah can now resurrect Adam's dead offspring and apply to them the value of Jesus' sacrifice. In other words, God will let us have the everlasting life we would have inherited from Adam had he not thrown it away by sinning, by Jesus' voluntarily giving it up for us.

And the big production, ultimately set up to vindicate the big guy's right to rule and clear his good name of reproach, is complete. Otherwise, he could've, again, just discreetly forgiven us for being born sinful - the heinous crime that it is!

Perfect Adam no sin= everlasting life for him and his offspring
    Perfect Jesus no sin=everlasting life-voluntarily given up for Adam's offspring.

Let's see, tonight you were working on Repetition for Emphasis.... I'm gonna go ahead and put you down for a "G".

Listen, I appreciate your sincerity and the time you put into that explanation, even though it's met with sarcasm. Honestly, I'm not angry at you or "god". I'm frustrated with... circumstances... specifically that religious belief controls so much of man's thinking and there's no easy solution to fix it.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I understand raw feelings, SBC, and we can always pick this back up another time if need be.

Well, I put on big boy pants for now, Tammy. I just won't be pleasant company on here... not that I was before.

Thanks for the consideration, though.

• wobble
    wobble

SBC, I like the way you reason, and I am not surprised that Christians of any variety are not able to answer your well put points.

Your well aimed gun has shot the whole "original sin and need for redemption" doctrine full of holes.

I was reading somwhere , probably another thread on here, that the doctrine is quite new ??? (In terms of christian doctrine)

The sooner people stop baseing their beliefs on works of fiction , like the Bible, and on fictional characters like Adam and Eve the better, a world full of rational thinkers would leap forward in efforts to solve the problems, not least in child birth, instead of trusting in a Sky Daddy to fix things in some (also fictional) Afterlife.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..and how does Jesus have the right to take away my choice to pay for my own sins (I'm pretty awesome so on any justice scale I expect that I have committed very few sins as described in the bible?) If Jesus could pay for all the sins ever committed in a couple of days and by a death that was less horrendous than most crucified victims got(he was only crucified for a few hours as opposed to days for some victims.) I would like to take my chances with justice. I would also like to be able to 'achieve' this life without having to end up entrapped with an eternal debt that I can never repay but requires constant payments of servitude and worship. God is an utter dictator tyrant and has the perfect henchman on his right hand side or living inside people's guts depending on your trinitarianess.

Good job god is just a cover for getting money and exerting influence over people.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

SBC, you make valid points, as always, points that have been deabted for centuries.

I often wonder HOW things would have worked it if Jesus never came OR Came or Us in the 20th century or even right now.

Would things have been done the same way? differently?

I would assuem so, since for US, an atoning sacrifice means nothing or at least very little.

Perhaps Jesus did what he did the way he did at THAT time because it was soemthing that THOSE people of that era could understand, maybe not...

I don't know.

• designs
    designs

'We never lost it'

...so let the Christians crawl on their bloody knees all they want in order to feel good and to show penance, a little oinment afterwards will sure feel good to.

• superpunk
    superpunk

But in regards to to the Fall of Man, the "criminal" would have been Adam ( if he was an individual) and the for us, as long as we continue to perptrate his crime against God, we also would be "criminals".

And yet, according to legend, we couldn't do otherwise if we tried.

Twisted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit