Parable of wheat and weeds

by HenryP 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Sunstarr

Just curious: Christ died for all mankind. You could argue that God directed him to do so; however, he had free will and chose to give his life. Because of this sacrifice you claim to have the possible future of paradise on earth and freedom from sin. This freedom can only be attributed to Christ (since, again, he had free will). Therefore, you enjoy that freedom because of an individual whom you feel is NOT God. Is this, or is this not idolatry under your guideline as quoted above?
    Note what I have bolded in your statement above. You're very much mistaken. That Jesus should sacrifice his life was in accordance with God's plan to save mankind out of eternal death. Jesus didn't institute the plan, he just went along with it. The credit therefore goes to God, and that's the way Jesus would have it. So no, to acknowledge that Jesus' sacrifice paved the way to paradise being restored is not an act of idolatry because it was done in accordance with God's will. Like the Scriptures attest to: "God ... gave his only-begotten Son.... God sent forth his Son into the world ... for the world to be saved through him." (John 3:16, 17) And yes, to give credit to men for a God-given right, namely "freedom", certainly is idolatry.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• sunstarr
    sunstarr

Yadirf,

The bottom line to my point is this: Did Jesus have a choice in sacrificing himself? It's yes or no. I'm sure you would agree that the answer is yes. He most certainly had a choice. Whether or not he gave credit to God is immaterial. The fact that he had any say in the event gives him at least partial credit. If you suggest that he had no choice, then you are saying that God forced him into giving his life. If you suggest that he had a measure of the decision, then he is owed some credit. In the latter case, it would be a matter of giving credit to "a" god, and under your definition, idolatry.

As for the other side of your argument (God's plan), am I mistaken in remembering that JW's believe that the governments were placed in their respective positions by God and are allowed to remain only because of Him? (Ro. 13:1) So where does one draw the line at what is part of God's will and what is a matter of choice by the individual?

I think I'm safe in saying that Borgfree's comment was not intended to display worship for those individuals who have fought and died. I'm sure his statement was indicating that he's very much appreciative of the freedoms he enjoys because of their sacrifice. I'm quite sure he doesn't set up a shire to pay homage to these soldiers. Yet, he is thankful for what they have done. He doesn't ridicule the soldiers for their actions.

Have you ever been given a gift certificate to a restaurant or a store? After using the certificate, were you appreciative of the giver? Does that imply that you idolize that person because of the gift they have given you? If someone else were to ridicule that person for the manner in which they gave you the gift, would you be upset or offended?

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Sunstarr

The bottom line to my point is this: ....
    I understood your point the first time round, and you've said nothing new but what my previous comments doesn't overturn.

I think I'm safe in saying that Borgfree's comment was not intended to display worship for those individuals who have fought and died. I'm sure his statement was indicating that he's very much appreciative of the freedoms he enjoys because of their sacrifice. I'm quite sure he doesn't set up a shire to pay homage to these soldiers. Yet, he is thankful for what they have done. He doesn't ridicule the soldiers for their actions. Have you ever been given a gift certificate to a restaurant or a store? After using the certificate, were you appreciative of the giver? Does that imply that you idolize that person because of the gift they have given you? If someone else were to ridicule that person for the manner in which they gave you the gift, would you be upset or offended?
    You've demonstrated quite well you're proficiency at reading into other peoples statements only what you desire to get out of them, but not anything like they said, didn't say, nor even implied. Are you really so desperate to find a fault with a JW that you have to resort to such tactics, whether knowingly or not? No one ridiculed those soldiers in the picture I posted. Additionally, regarding Borgfree's "statement", you demonstrate that you have no idea what constitutes an act of idolatry -- for which reason I have to conclude that you're not very well versed in the Scriptures.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Sunstarr

As for the other side of your argument (God's plan), am I mistaken in remembering that JW's believe that the governments were placed in their respective positions by God and are allowed to remain only because of Him? (Ro. 13:1) So where does one draw the line at what is part of God's will and what is a matter of choice by the individual?
    The "governments" came to exist as a result of man's original rejection of God's own rule. Ever since then, God has TOLERATED man's rule (in the form of governments) for a specific reason. Too, the Scriptures are full of references which show that Satan is the ultimate one behind man's system of self-rule. I would encourage you to meditate once again on the text of Romans 13:1, and think in terms of God's toleration of the world's governments, not only in light of the way they got their start but give consideration to what the Bible elsewhere has to say regarding Satan's part/share insofar as his authority over them all.

• sunstarr
    sunstarr
    I understood your point the first time round, and you've said nothing new but what my previous comments doesn't overturn.

Perhaps I was mistaken in assuming that you didn't understand my point. However, nothing of what you said overturned my argument. You stated that it was "God's plan" and that Jesus gave him credit. That doesn't overturn what I said. You've simply avoided my point. Whether you've understood it or not, you've clearly proven your JW-like ability to dance around the subject.

You've demonstrated quite well you're proficiency at reading into other peoples statements only what you desire to get out of them, but not anything like they said, didn't say, nor even implied.
    Exactly what statement have I read into? I've commented only on what either you or Borgfree have stated directly. He stated that the picture makes him proud. He then stated:

"You and other JWs enjoy the freedoms that those men fight and die for, then you ridicule them and the Pastor who blesses them!"

You accused him of being an idolater because of an assumption you made based upon that statement. He never stated that he didn't have the right to those freedoms. Are you so thick-headed that you don't believe that freedoms can be withheld from individuals despite their "rights" to those freedoms? The acts of those soldiers allow us to make full use of our rights. Yes, God gave us those rights. But, believe it or not, man has the power to restrict some of them. Or don't you believe that there are some people locked behind bars who aren't afforded the "right" to walk free? Perhaps you are the one who is in need of lessons on not reading into others' statements.

No one ridiculed those soldiers in the picture I posted.
    I never said anyone DID ridicule those soldiers. Borgfree stated such as noted above. I gave you that example only in defense of Borgfree's position. No doubt, he made that statement based on personal experiences/opinions. Again, I read into nothing. However, as a point of reference, I would like to call your attention to the statement you made as follows:

That there is no mistake in having identified the "weeds" correctly is proven by this picture:
    You related that picture (soldiers and a priest) to identification of weeds, and thus a connection to Satan. If that isn't ridicule, maybe you could enlighten me as to what is.

By the way, oh master of scripture, Webster defines idolatry as:

1 : the worship of a physical object as a god
    2 : immoderate attachment or devotion to something

Would you please explain to me how Borgfree's statement satisfied either of these definitions? Maybe you need to give me the new light on what "idolatry" really means.

The "governments" came to exist as a result of man's original rejection of God's own rule. Ever since then, God has TOLERATED man's rule (in the form of governments) for a specific reason. Too, the Scriptures are full of references which show that Satan is the ultimate one behind man's system of self-rule.
    I understand that it's a ridiculous argument. That's exactly why I brought it up. Please refer to my question of "So where does one draw the line at what is part of God's will and what is a matter of choice by the individual?" Of course the state of the world is as it is because of man's rejection of God. Yet man still had the choice. Just as Jesus still had the choice. Choose to reject God, or not? Choose to sacrifice, or not? Credit has to go somewhere. So, if all credit goes to God for Jesus sacrifice, all credit should go to God for man's rejection. Otherwise a double standard is in effect.
  • aChristian
    aChristian

Yadirf,

I notice you avoided answering my earlier question. So, I'll ask it again.

Pertaining to Peter's being willing to baptize a man while he was yet in the military, and JWs now refusing to act in the same way, you wrote, "Those sort of things which God did during Christianity's infancy had a purpose for that period alone ... different conditions warrant different actions." What conditions do you believe are "different" today which prove to you that it was proper for Peter to have baptized a member of the military, and prove to you that it is now improper for Christians to do the same thing?

• Beans
    Beans

Hey does anybody have any pictures of an airplane and a priest?

Beans

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit