Parable of wheat and weeds

by HenryP 26 Replies latest jw friends

• HenryP
    HenryP

I have been wondering the meaning of this parable. I know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe it is, but is there another interpretation?

I found this article on it:

*** w84 3/1 31 Questions From Readers ***
    In Jesus’ parable of the wheat among the weeds, do the “weeds” include those who recently have become apostates?
    No, for strictly speaking they are not “weeds.”
    This illustration and Jesus’ explanation of it are found at Matthew 13:24-30, 37-43. In the “field,” which is the world, the “Son of man” sowed “fine seed,” representing “the sons of the kingdom,” genuine anointed Christians. Then the Devil sowed “weeds” that might appear to be “wheat,” but are actually “the sons of the wicked one,” evidently imitation Christians that exist at the same time as the wheatlike true Christians. This developed particularly after the apostles died. (2 Thessalonians 2:6, 7) Through the centuries there have been many who merely claimed to be Christians, including the clergy who have spread false teachings.
    Jesus said that during the harvest period, the “conclusion of a system of things,” the “weeds” would be collected out and “burned with fire.” Some might view the small number of persons who recently turned apostate as “weeds” being collected out. But Jesus did not say that the “weeds” had once been “wheat” and then turned bad. They were sown as “weeds” and remained such, consistent with the genetic rule that vegetation reproduces “according to its kind.” (Genesis 1:11, 12) We need to bear in mind, though, that in speaking of the “weeds” Jesus was foretelling a particular sort of false, or imitation, Christians who would appear. He was not discussing individuals of the “wheat” class who might go bad, becoming like rotten wheat stalks.
    Apostates of the apostles’ day and their modern counterparts are not represented by the “weeds.” Yet the Bible shows that such apostates are “not of our sort,” have God’s disapproval and should be shunned by loyal Christians. Any who apostatize and do not repent by the end of this system of things will experience the same fate as the “weeds,” being “burned with fire” or destroyed completely.—Titus 3:10; 1 John 2:18, 19; 2 John 9-11.

My question is simple, what is the wheat and what are the weeds?

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

The WTS is quite correct in their interpretation of the illustration of the wheat and weeds.

After the apostles died Satan succeeded in planting "weeds" in the field where Jesus had planted "wheat." (Mt 13:24-30, 36-43) That which Satan planted turned out to be an imitation form of Christianity, known as CHRISTENDOM. That there is no mistake in having identified the "weeds" correctly is proven by this picture:

Christendom is very useful to Satan in his controversy with Jehovah -- the reason for which he planted the weeds to begin with of course.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• borgfree
    borgfree

The WT likes to divide everything into organizations, "Christendom"

The parable was not speaking of "organizations" It simple refers to wheat as "true followers of Christ" and the weeds are "false or fake Christians"

Borgfree

"Without knowledge there can be no genuine faith--only superstition on the one hand or speculation on the other" Robert Banks
  • Yadirf
    Yadirf
    The parable ... simple refers to wheat as "true followers of Christ" and the weeds are "false or fake Christians"

Christendom IS nothing short of a "false" form of Christianity because, for one reason, both her clergy and laity condone, participate, and take sides in the wars between nations. Christendom therefore is a "fake". One cannot be a member of Christendom and be a "true follower of Christ". Therefore, all members of Christendom are "weeds", and will remain so up until the day such ones make a decision to "get out of her".

• borgfree
    borgfree

Matthew 13:37-39 NWT

(37)In response he said: "The sower of the fine seed is the Son of Man; (38) the field is the world; as for the fine seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; but the weeds are the sons of the wicked one (39) and the enemy that sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels.(40)...."

Note that He, referring to Jesus, is not capitalized in the NWT.

"...the field is the WORLD;...the FINE SEED, ..are the SONS OF THE KINGDOM; ..the WEEDS are the SONS OF THE WICKED ONE...."

The field is the WORLD, not an organization. The seed are SONS OF THE KINGDOM. I do not see Watchtower or 144,000 there anyplace.

The WEEDS are SONS OF THE WICKED ONE. No mention of an organization, Christendom, etc. These are individual people who seem to be Christian, but are not.

Classes, divisions of people in organizations, numbering those of the kingdom, etc. are all inventions of The Watchtower Society, and are some of the reasons for the WT being a false prophet.

Borgfree

"Without knowledge there can be no genuine faith--only superstition on the one hand or speculation on the other" Robert Banks
  • Yadirf
    Yadirf
    The WEEDS are SONS OF THE WICKED ONE. ... These are individual people who seem to be Christian, but are not.

Christendom is comprised of "individual people who seem [claim] to be Christian, but are not." These, individually and as multi-denominational groups, condone warfare between nations, as shown in the picture I keep rubbing your nose in.

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Too bad they didn't have cameras in the days of the apostles. Then maybe someone could have snapped a picture of Peter baptizing that Roman Army officer. (Acts 10) Then Friday could post that picture too, showing us all how messed up Peter was. After all, Peter must have been messed up. Why? Because JWs refuse to baptize anyone in the military today until they first resign from the military. And the Bible gives no indication Peter had such a policy.

So, according to Friday's logic, demonstrated by his stated derogatory opinion of the minister in the photo blessing men serving in their country's military, what Peter did must have been just as wrong as the minister in Friday's photo. I hope God will forgive Peter and the minister in Friday's photo for not understanding things like JWs understand them. I guess Peter and that poor minister both needed some "new light" from the Watchtower Society.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    After all, Peter must have been messed up. Why? Because JWs refuse to baptize anyone in the military today until they first resign from the military.

Things are not the same today as they were in Peter's day. Have you known anybody in today's military that has had holy spirit miraculously rained down upon them, who then spoke with "tongues", but then afterwards were refused baptism by JWs? No you don't. So stop trying to convince us that you have a brain! -- Acts 10:44-46.

• You Know
    You Know
    I know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe it is, but is there another interpretation?

Yes. / You Know

• borgfree
    borgfree
    Christendom is comprised of "individual people who seem [claim] to be Christian, but are not." These, individually and as multi-denominational groups, condone warfare between nations, as shown in the picture I keep rubbing your nose in.

You seem to have problems understanding that the WORLD is comprised of "individual people" just as the parable says. The world is the field. If you want to argue with Jesus, help yourself, it is clear that Jesus said the world would be filled with good seed and there would be weeds sown into the field of good wheat by the devil. Still, no BIG Watchtower printing plant, in that parable, anywhere.

As far as "rubbing my nose" in that picture, you again misunderstand, the picture makes me PROUD. You and other JWs enjoy the freedoms that those men fight and die for, then you ridicule them and the Pastor who blesses them! I know you are deceived and blinded, but it is time for you to wake up!

Borgfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit