Part 5: The Beginning of the End

by Amazing 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• jukief
    jukief

I find this very interesting because here in Colorado, home schooling is encouraged! My sister (whose husband is the PO) took her daughter (an only child) out of school around grade 7--to keep her away from worldly boys, she said. She was praised and the family was looked up to as an example. Of course, it didn't help that the daughter ended up rebelling big time--despite her parents' efforts to keep her away from "wordly" influences. She ended smoking, using drugs, prostituting herself, etc. I thought it was pretty ironic.

That's one of the things I hate about the dubs--the double standards.

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Amazing: A couple statements you made caught my eye.

1. "... my higher power, whomever She/He/It might be."

2. "... if God cared so much about us as His adopted Children through His most beloved Son, Jesus ..."

Judging from your first statement, I take it that the key word in your second statement is "if." JWs do much harm to many people. But the worst harm they do is destroy many people's faith in God and Christ. Sadly, it appears they managed to destroy yours. I wonder, after successfully leading your family out of the JWs, have you also been successful in leading them away from a belief in the God of the Bible?

• individual
    individual

Amazing - really enjoying reading your posts. Better than any of the books written by ex-JWs on why they left. Looking forward to reading the next installment.

• AMarie
    AMarie

Amazing:

Your stories keep getting better and better! You're getting me hooked like a house wife on soap operas. I can't wait to read the next installment.

Keep'em coming

AMarie

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Faithful2Jah: Maybe the following will help you understand me better.

Amazing: A couple statements you made caught my eye.
    1. "... my higher power, whomever She/He/It might be."

2. "... if God cared so much about us as His adopted Children through His most beloved Son, Jesus ..."

Judging from your first statement, I take it that the key word in your second statement is "if."

I make these statements for two reasons. 1. I have some concerns with God that go beyond the Watchtower religion. 2. I am trying to not be judgmental in what I think is the truth today.

JWs do much harm to many people. But the worst harm they do is destroy many people's faith in God and Christ.
    I once felt this way. I suppose that the JWs have destroyed the faith of some. I think that for many, as they search, grow and starts expanding the scope of their views, there coems a point in time where they may question the existence of God. I do not think that this is necessarily caused by their JW experience, but that their JW experience perhaps acted as a "delay" in a process that was an eventuality.

Sadly, it appears they managed to destroy yours. I wonder, after successfully leading your family out of the JWs, have you also been successful in leading them away from a belief in the God of the Bible?
    My wife is a believing Christian.
    My oldest daughter is a believing Christian.
    My Son-in-Law is a Believing Christian.
    My oldest son does not comment much, but inclines to believe in God.
    My younger daughter is a believing Christian.
    My youngest son is a believing Christian.

Me ... I am still searching. Science, reasoning, questioning and looking for substance over wishful thinking has led me to believe that the problem with God is not whether he exists, but who he is and what he wants with us. I do not buy into atheism because it comes across as arrogant to say for sure that there is no God. I find nature to simbiotic and complex to believe that evolution is the sole cause of our existence ... evolution is proven, but there are some big gaps in some of it that science cannot explain. So I leab toward God. I find Jesus Christ to be awesome, and the one person in history that continues to be my last hope in God.

Hope that helps. You are always free to email me for in-depth discussion at [email protected]

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Jukief:

I find this very interesting because here in Colorado, home schooling is encouraged!

Home Schooling among JWs has been accepted in some areas more so than others. In larger metro areas and more populous states, the Elders tend to be more relaxed about it. In the SF Bay area in California, Home Schooling was almost vogue because it was avant-garde to normal society. Where we were at in Oregon, smalltown, USA, the JW Elders tend to be far more conservative. This particular Elder had the added attraction of being an ass.

My sister (whose husband is the PO) took her daughter (an only child) out of school around grade 7--to keep her away from worldly boys, she said. She was praised and the family was looked up to as an example. Of course, it didn't help that the daughter ended up rebelling big time--despite her parents' efforts to keep her away from "wordly" influences. She ended smoking, using drugs, prostituting herself, etc. I thought it was pretty ironic.
    The statistics on Home Schooling are excellent across the board. California become so accepting that the State even establish a State approved Home School where local School Districts participated and monitored progress.

Unfortunately, many JWs choose Home Schooling to try and get away from the world, and in so doing, they only ignored the real cause of the problems with their kids.

For Home Schooling to be successful, parents must be well educated, and highly involved in the study program. Also, the kids involved must be highly self-motivated and self-disciplined to succeed. Then to compenates for some of the loss of social interaction, Home Schooled kids are encouraged to have involvement with local school sports, drama, band, games, and parties.

If the JW kids being home schooled do not have some good structure of friends at the Kingdom Hall, then they will have difficulty because the JW parents are using Home School to keep them from activities that they needs. It is a catch 22.

The reason that we took our kids out of Home School was that Oregon did not have as good of a program as California. We made the exception for our youngest daughter, who did not use an Oregon program, but we found a better Private School that worked well. The reason for her exception was not to keep her away from friends, but schedule problems that made her day a 12 hour problem.

• Duncan
    Duncan

Amazing

Really enjoying this.

Insightful, and very engaging. Excellent.

Duncan

• anewperson
    anewperson

Amazing, this is to answer your "Why this begin to happen at this point is still a puzzle to me to this day. I was still going to meetings and playing the role. I had not said anything out of line to anyone. But, keeping up appearances was somehow not enough ... it was like some kind of energy field was descending on us, as though something was automatically raising the “antennae” of the JW Elders."
    The answer is you were possibly and in my opinion even probably wire-tapped.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Anewperson: I have some information on this. While I cannot say for sure whether I was "wire tapped" at least not at this stage, I can say that one issue regarding the phone system did go the the Sheriff. Later on I was warned 3 times about some jeopardy to me, and the need to remain illusive to the Society. I wuld include these in my Exit, but I am not sure it is wise at this time.

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

keep em coming....

(lets hope ALOT of Elders are lurking)

Sunny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit