Evolution vs. Watchtower Society

by FrankWTower 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Beth Sarim - "Is alien disclosure near and what effect would it have on the Witnesses?"

I'll assume this question is directed at me, since I mentioned Disclosure in my earlier post on this thread (apologies for its off-topicness).

Personally, I have no idea if it's near (although I would love it if it were). However, if one assumes that the governments of the world do indeed possess classified evidence confirming the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life, the Information Age/WikiLeaks Era can't help but make it harder and harder to keep it classified. The Pentagon's grudging admission a few years back that Groom Lake Air Force Base really is, in fact, “Area 51” is a testament to that, IMO.

More and more private citizens and (present and former) government staffers from nations around the world are urging their governments to come clean about what they may or may not know, UFO sightings are allegedly increasing, and the attitude among the secular world that extraterrestrials might actually exist (and that it's not that scary a thing if they do) is growing. Hell, even the Vatican has made official statements to the effect that the possibility exists, and that it's okay to believe that.

When I was a JW teenager, I nontheless loved Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, etc.; aliens were cool, and I thought the prospect of honest-to-God peaceful First Contact would be the cat's ass. However, there was something about the possibility that I also found vaguely disquieting. I didn't know why at first, but as I thought about it (and after talking about it discreetly with a few other JWs), I slowly began to grasp intuitively that if aliens came down to Earth (either to make friends, or otherwise), the WTS (as an organization) would not handle it well at all; in fact, the contents of an Awake article published in the 90s – for all intents and purposes - confirmed that for me.

Still, I couldn't articulate (even to myself) why the WT wouldn't like it, and wouldn't understand until learning a few things much later and – after giving it a lot of thought – tying them together.

The way I see it, the US government (the aging Big Dog) is the main obstacle to any potential Disclosure. Assuming evidence does indeed exist (I can't help but find it interesting that the CIA was commisioned only two weeks after the alleged Roswell incident), the American intelligence community has spent some 70 years trying to keeping a lid on it; and if there's one thing that the otherwise fiercely competitive 3-letter-agencies have in common with each other (DHS notwithstanding), it's the steadfast desire to never tell the public anything (in the NSA's case, to the extent of essentially denying it's own existence for the longest time).

A big (but IMO, underrated) reason for this is the old conservative view that human beings are, at their core, inherently bad, and need to be kept on a tight leash for their own (and everybody else's) damn good. This would, of course, include only letting them know what they "need" to know. Unfortunately, the mass panic that ensued during Orson Welles' radio broadcast of War of the Worlds back in the 30s did absolutely nothing to discourage this attitude.

Another (far bigger, IMO) reason is the fact that, thanks to the efforts of the Religious Right over the past 30+ years, there exists a disproportionately large contingent of fundamentalist (i.e. Biblical literalist, and quite authoritarian) Christians that are firmly anchored in the increasingly extreme Right Wing of the US government.

A really interesting university study was done recently, the results of which indicated something the reasearchers found surprising; the vast majority of Americans who self-identified as “Bible-believing” (i.e. fundamentalist) Christians - while often perfectly willing to believe in the existence of spirits, demons, etc. (i.e. supernatural beings) - were quite adamant in their unwillingness to accept the possibility of intelligent ETs*. The reason the researchers found it unexpected was that they had initially grouped “aliens” in the same category as “supernatural beings” - they revised that classification after their initial findings and conducted the study again.

After examining their findings, the researchers concluded that the existence of biological intelligent aliens simply doesn't fit into the majority of Biblical literalist worldviews. By that logic, Disclosure couldn't help but throw the conservative Christian world into enormous turmoil, and this would definitely include the WT; they'd particularly have a tremendously difficult time shoehorning it into their Fred-Franz-scripted End-Times narrative. I suspect the WTS would never recover.

I used to believe that Disclosure or First Contact would spell the death knell of virtually all forms of fundamentalism **. However, I've since come to revise that view.

Peaceful First Contact would still be difficult to deal with for the vast majority of Right-Wing Christian fundies in the United States of Jesusland (they would definitely distrust the alleged peacefulness), but I also now suspect that they might be able to handle an (admittedly far-fetched) Independence Day-style armed invasion; the vast majority of religious wingnuts are quite militant, and would jump at the chance to defend their country, families, and most importantly, faith from the “Godless alien hordes”.

I could be wrong.

* Hack born-again writer and self-styled prophet Hal Lindsay being a noteworthy exception; and even then, he tends to dismiss alleged Third-Kind Encounters as tricks by demons.

** A possible exception might be UFO cults, and even then, any kind of official or semi-official Disclosure would call into serious question the veracity of their respective theologies, because - like the WTS – most UFO cults are apocalyptic in nature, and Disclosure doesn't really seem to fit with that kind of eschatology. Authoritarianism - and authoritarian high-control groups - as a sociological phenomenon would arguably still continue; IMO, the trait is hard-wired into the human psyche (in varying degrees, depending on the individual) as an evolutionary adaptation, but I couldn't imagine it having much of a religious flavor to it.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I could be wrong.

A fair assumption.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nickolas - "A fair assumption."

Umm, the part about me possibly being wrong, or the rest of it?

If you think I'm mistaken, why?

(not mad, just curious)

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Hey there, Vidiot. My take is that UFOs and extraterrestrial visits are a new modern superstition. All those reported sightings and all those reported encounters add up to aliens from another world who either aren't too adept or aren't too interested in keeping their presence secret, yet no irrefutable evidence exists that they exist. Yes, I am familiar with how conspiracy theory plays into the entire story, but until I see Klaatu and Gort standing there on the lawn of the White House, I'm not buying it. I'm a UFO agnostic.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nick,

I get you. Believe it or not, I actually try to be as agnostic about extraterrestrials as I am about God these days, but it's easy to get swept up in the hype; I did try to put "allegedly" and "if" in my post as much as possible - maybe they weren't big enough.

Thanks for the reality check; 'preciate it.

That being said (and keeping everything hypothetical), what did you think of my reasoning in the post?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You prefaced your hypothesis quite well, Vidiot, insofar as you are tentative in putting forward the supposition that evidence exists and concluded quite logically that the information age will pop the lid off the secret archives if the supposition is indeed true. But that in itself is a giant leap forward that requires at least partial suspension of disbelief in order to proceed with what follows.

Your reference to science fiction is revealing, particularly that you enjoy it so much. So do I. But enjoyment of science fiction requires the same facility as does enjoyment of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, and that is complete suspension of disbelief. Stephen Hawking refers to science fiction as "space westerns" because they require bending the laws of physics to the point of breaking them, in particular relativity theory. For there to be extraterrestrials, even as close as alpha centauri, space travel would require decades. The fact that alpha centauri is a binary star system makes the probability of life quite low, particularly life sophisticated enough for space travel. Then we get into the planetary anthropic principle and exceedingly remote odds of the kind of goldilocks zone situation that our planet has existing elsewhere in the galaxy. That does not mean it doesn't. Even if the odds are one in a billion that might mean 50 earth-like planets in the galaxy, but if so they will be statistically thousands of light years away from us, all but ruling out the possibility of space travel within the bounds of relativity theory. The third thing is SETI, which has so far failed to detect any confirmed transmission indicating intelligent life - assuming that transmission of information would be a necessary prerequisite to develop the science of space travel, this alone is a pretty good indication that sophisticated civilisations, if they exist, are very, very far away from us.

Now, all that aside, your conclusions about how contact would rock the world's religious systems seem rational. And Hawking, hedging somewhat on the improbability of contact, has said that if it should ever happen, the probability would be high that exploitation would be top of the extraterrestrial agenda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit