Church vs Kingdom Hall

by snakeface 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• snakeface
    snakeface

Some of you have previously posted your experiences of going to other religions' places of worship. I'd like to post mine, primarily because I think it would be helpful to any newcomers here who are still in the organization.

I no longer believe God to be an actual person or being. I am not looking to be taught or led or shepherded. I don't feel any void in my life. I just wanted to embark on a new path, some new philosophy. After all, most of my new "worldly" friends belong to churches and have been inviting me to attend on special occasions such as Easter. It serves a purpose for them, so I started researching religions to see if maybe there is something out there that suits me. I did find something that appealed to me. It does not require you to have any specific beliefs; it is more of a "program" for applying spiritual principles in your daily life. (I will not name this group because the purpose of this post is not to promote any particular religon.)

I was impressed that this - and most others - church has its own website. By viewing the Photo Gallery I could see how the people dress and the variety of age groups, and also their activities. Picnics, various ministries such as feeding the homeless in their own community, and all kinds of things that look like a lot of fun. I googled the minister and learned about her educational background and the many things she has done in the past in other churches. It was impressive!

So then I showed up at their Sunday service, and it was a wonderful experience! None of the men wore suits. Women wore pants or dresses, whatever they wanted. Everyone was "themselves". People came up to me and introduced themselves. People were referred to by their first names - Tom, Linda, Judy, Mike, etc - instead of Brother or Sister so-and-so. The "music group" had drums, a guitar, and a keyboard and performed lively, entertaining music. The children went off to their own Sunday school. When the pastor spoke I could tell she was educated and genuinely concerned about the audience, and that she herself believed in what she was preaching. She expressed herself clearly, coherently, and logically. Her message was so warm and bright and positive and loving. I felt nurtured. And she even used correct grammar! What a contrast to the Kingdom Hall where some good ol' boys who never went to high school get up there and flounder around. At one point during the service the pastor asked of there were any visitors present; a few of us raised our hands. She welcomed us, the audience applauded, and those seated around me shook my hand and introduced themselves. An attendant came running around giving each of us little Welcome Packets of info about their church. After the service many people were still welcoming me, and they invited me to come next door to the Fellowship Hall for refreshments. The refreshments were like what you'd find at any witness gathering. They said they do this every week. After that I got to chat with the pastor. Now I think I will go ahead and become a member, because it was such a delightful experience. Yes, this church does require tithing...but let's face it, there are expenses to be met in any group. And I always gave $ to the Hall, so why not here where I feel like I really am receiving something mentally beneficial.

The whole time I was there I felt a sense of freedom; I could wear what I wanted, I could have a beard - some had tattooes. I could get up and go to the restroom. No one was telling me how sinful I was and how I needed reminders. It was then that I realized that the WT really is a cult. A cult that destroys your self will and your self esteem, and your sense of individuality, and that beats you down and keeps telling you that you are worthless and that every move you make is displeasing to God, and that no matter how much you do it will never be enough. I noticed I kept thinking of the pastor as "Sister" so-and-so; I had to force myself to say "Reverend" so-and-so.

The lesson I am trying to convey is, sometimes it is only when you step out into the light that you realize you were in the dark.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The whole time I was there I felt a sense of freedom; I could wear what I wanted, I could have a beard - some had tattooes. I could get up and go to the restroom

But do they let you hold your wife's hand during prayer?

Just kidding. Sounds alright, except for the tithing. I dunno, now that I am out of the WT I really like keeping all of my money. Glad you found something you like. I guess other churches have "love amongst themselves" after all. Another WT lie exposed.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Well their website says they practice tithing, but they recognize that not everyone can afford to. So they encourage people to give what they can. The website stresses that "tithe" means "a tenth" but if someone can give only 3% or 5% it's better than nothing. I guess they don't kick you out then, or shun you.

I - like many people - used to budget a fixed amount to donate at the Hall each month. (In my case it was less than 10% of my earnings!) But then there were also the CO's reimbursements, assemblies, conventions. and special events such as natural disasters for which I personally donated hundreds of $ at a time. Add to the that the cost of gas/snacks for field service, and gas/motels for conventions. I bet all that came out to more than 10% of my earnings. Also, think about my time/effort/energy doing things such as cleaning the hall, cleaning the convention site, mowing grass at the Hall, helping repair the roof on the Hall. I never got paid for that. (Didn't expect to, but my point is, doing those things was a contribution.) With the church, I can just send a check each month and they have a janitor, a secretary, and a staff who has gone to school to learn how to provide such services as grief counseling, marriage counseling, teaching children, and so on. I don't have to clean the urinals or climb on the roof to clean out rain gutters or spend Saturday afternoon raking leaves or sweeping the parking lot.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In the beginning I found them refreshing. It did not take long to find that many churches are busy love-bombing newcomers like the JW's do. Then I began to sit back and see that they were not much different than Jw's in other ways - same 'we have the truth' mentality, etc.

Of course I may have been looking through bitter lenses at the time. Once I rejected god-concept and religion, I never went back. Still, to each his own. I am glad you found it pleasant.

Jeff

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Sometimes it is only when you step out into the light that you realize you were in the dark.

So, so true. I never realized I was in a cult, until I left it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Can't say that I've ever been to a church that required tithing though most of them do encourage it.

I will admit, if you are getting something out of it, why not put something back in it.

Frankly, I've found that the church I attend I get way more out of it than I put in it.

Most churches I go to don't love bomb in the way the witnesses do, some do. However, I think I give the aura of 'don't come near me.' HA HA HA. In regards to 'only we have the truth,' it's there and sometimes they compare themselves to other churches. But I try to steer clear of churches that have too many 'we alone have the truth' dogmas and favor churches that cooperate with other churches for the greater good of the community.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love the church of my youth, and it does not require tithing. Tithing pays for the building, the utilities, the salaries of staff including clergy. Sometimes tithing also can support the priest or pastor's discretionary fund, which they use to help people they feel need the help with groceries, utilities and other emergencies.

• snakeface
    snakeface

This particular religion does not believe it is the one and only true religion. In fact they claim many members still adhere to other religions but attend theirs and practice their guidelines. (whatever that means) The pastor said from the platform Sunday that there are many good things we can take from other religions; they are just different paths. And it is up to each one of us to find the path that is right for us.

I'm going to ask about the tithing. I get the impression it is not "enforced". I used to hear (in the JW congregations) stories about church members being called into the office and being talked to about falling behind in their tithing, and reminded that it's part of theior contract. Maybe that was exaggerated? This church I visited, they already invited me to participate in things. No one said anything like, "If you decide to join our church you'll be allowed to join the chior..." or help with this or that. They just said I am "welcome to" do these things.

I still am amazed that there were no goatshaped demons prancing around, no babies being thrown into fires while drums were beaten wildly, no Amorite women dancing suggestively (I surely would have noticed that!), and no one's head got cut off. I did notice that people acted like they actually wanted to be there. How refreshing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My church welcomes all. And if you're baptized in any christian denomination and wish to take communion, you can.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This is the church I've been going to: Bayside I like it and it in no way compares to going to a dull kingdom hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit