What Doctrines or JW Views Did You Not Find Too Believable?

by minimus 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Another thing I remembered was them telling us women that we would have to choose our husband over our children. They often gave the example of a flood and we could only save one it would have to be our husband and to let our children drown. (Yes they said that). I always figured it is a mothers instinct to save the children!..

They argued that for the sake of the family line the husband could make more children..

Never could go along with that...they carried that headship thing a little to far..

And then we have the Org telling the women that they should stay with a abusive unbelieving mate because he may someday change and join her. They were encouraged to pray to Jehovah for strength to do the right things to turn their unbelieving mates around. I am sure many abusers did join, it was a religion after their own heart!

So you should :

Pray for the flood to stop (In flooded area's)

Pray for the brothers and sisters in the hurricane areas

Pray that others come into the "Truth"

Pray to endure any persecution that may come upon them

But in the prayers you are only allowed to pray for the strength to stand whatever problems you may face.

Kind of a personal pep talk..

Eventually I started wondering if anyone would listen to their prayers?

Then I was sure no one was listening.

Now after being out for a long time I am finally getting some spiritual feeling back..they almost ruined it all for me.

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Little Imp, that is too funny! Almost unbelievable for a grown up to act that way. Sometimes you just have to wonder if they truly can believe any of it themselves, surely they have to find that funny..surely!!!

I was surprised when I learned that you had to hand in a monthly report of time spent knocking on doors. Seemed very Big Brother.
    Before we met my husband had attended meetings relating to assisting on a quick build. However, they then decided that as he did not hand in a report he wasn't allowed to help with the build.

Snoozy..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS: A few big ones that I can think of: (1) I didn't accept their divine claims and thought they were presumptuous, to say the least. They are just men with opinions. (2) I never believed I was 'responsible' for other people being saved. Who is responsible for me then ?? This was just a guilt-trip to enslave people. (3) I rejected the religion's view against college and careers. I am a responsible person who has NO use for JWs who don't want to be in the workforce. Don't want to know about them. (4) I find the religion's attitude towards women unacceptable and certainly un-Christlike.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

'The fact that you could recieve some "acceptable" blood components but could not donate those same lifesaving yourself seemed strange. You could recieve a blood fraction but YOU couldn't give it'

Reminds me of the honor system. When you take something or benefit from something someone else donates (blood bank), you are expected to replace it with something of like value or more and so the honor system goes.

JWs are takers not givers!

Excellent thread.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I thought it was unlikely that the end would come in 1975. I thought before then end of the millenium was more likely for it to come.

S

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

I couldn't belive some angels came down to Earth for a shag. They materialized and grew bladdy wedding tackle for goodness sake!

Why didn't Satan himself come for a quick 'ow's yer father'?

Nah!

punkofnice . . . my gut's is sore after that . . . you gotta way with words . . .

Seriously though . . . . The "two witnesses" of Isaiah being fulfilled by Rutherford and his lackies . . . always thought what a lot of poppycock here!

And the arrogance of applying prohecy to oneself personally . . . just really bummed me out big time

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

a culmination of events but same as Min really with the "God destroying billions at the big A" always the main one that didn't sit very well , the very last conversation I had with a Dub was last year and we touched on this subject and she bare faced lied to me, I explained to her the very magazine you are carrying promotes this, she then went on about "only God can judge" bullshit. The other doctrines that did not have any credibility soon fell quickly into place;

The closeness of the new system- I used to think things can get hundreds of times worse

The sealing of the 144,000 was completed by 1935- ridiculous doctrine, historical information clearly states that hundreds of thousands would have converted to Christianity and died faithful from the first century BC to this date.

Blood-I always found it amazing that hemophiliacs could never store their own blood so as to transfuse later when an emergency arrives, utter madness that they were made to suffer like this,I knew nothing of the organ ban either.

The Symbolic prophecies in various books throughout the Bible can somehow have fulfillment from a man made American publishing company based in Brooklyn.

The fantastic child like claims of how the New System will be- as mentioned earlier the wolf will always kill the lamb, panda bears lions and tigers will always be dangerous!

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Another thing that happened with my husband is:

At the Tuesday night Group as is usual the men took turns to read. The Book Study Conductor sometimes used to overlook my husband's turn but one of the brother used to speak up and say that it was his turn. This brother was not an Elder or anything, so husband took his turn at reading.

However, when this particular brother moved away the Book Study Conductor never allowed my husband to read again.

This was the case when I started attending the Tuesday Group after we married. Often the only males would be the Book Study Conductor, my husband and the brother in whose house the Group was held. Every week without fail the Book Study Conductor would say "whose turn is it to read" and it was always the other brother who absolutely hated reading and had to read every single week.

My husband didn't mind really as he hated reading but he always wished he had said to the other brother that the Book Study Conductor knew he hated reading.

This was this particular Elder's way in trying to force my husband into handing in a report (didn't work though)

• designs
  • MartynAndrew
    MartynAndrew

Hi

I remember studying with a guy around 1989 and in the book there was a section that said that it hadn't rained until the the flood with Noah. When I asked about that, he said to just cross it out, new direction has been given and it's not right. So I crossed it out and carried on. Then we got to the way they figured out 1914 and they explained the math. I could not believe my ears, I asked if they actually believed it...of course the slave would not mislead the flock so it must be correct. Ah good time. Marty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit