NZ Earthquake Update

by Murray Smith 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Update from CHCH NZ just in case anyone out there is interested . . .

We're still gettin kicked up the ass down here by some punchy aftershocks . . . still coming at about 1 every 90 mins. New damage reports with a nasty whack this am our time (11.20pm now) 4.8 mag at less than 10km's away 10km deep . . .

These things are so dam close when they let rip its sounds like an atom bomb exploding . . . they are seriouslty LOUD . . . count to five and then wack!

I will have to sit here all night to make sure the computer screen doesn't fall off the table . . . dammit.

So if I talk a load of crap I got a good excuse right?

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

We feel for you, Muzza.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Well, Muzz, I just moved to Melbourne on Tuesday and I didn't even live in ChCh!

Take care matey

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Wise move anyway bigmouth . . . the whole bloody country is lit up with a few quakes at the moment . . . got a spare room?

Seriously . . . I've never felt so intimidated by the incredible power being unleashed here right now . . . it's frazzeling my nerves

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I'll tell you a funny thing... I'm really sensitive to earthquakes. Even sleeping I wake and say to my wife "feel that ?" (seriously :)

I was asleep when the Sept. 4 one hit and I was near Dunedin. The 'bang' and swaying was unreal... but when we arrived in ChCh on Monday for a day prior to our flight out I didn't sense a thing even though others were comenting on all the aftershocks. Dunno, weird.

Anyway, our motel room seems solid here in Aussie, it's warm and it must be 2 am over the ditch, so good night and sleep near a door frame.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Thanks for the update... and yes, we do care. We've had nightly updates on the news since it happened.

We heard the good news that there wasn't anyone in the church tower that collapsed. That was one good piece of news that's come out lately. The climbing death toll is very sad but to be expected I guess.

I can't imagine what it's like to have constant small earthquakes. How did your house fare?

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Thankfully I live in what appears a strong house . . . concrete block . . . but EVERY line of mortar is now cracked . . . I guess there's some steel in there somewhere otherwise I'm living in a house of free-stacked blocks.

You'd think 5000 aftershocks since Sept 4th I'd be gettin used to it . . . and I was! . . . this new rupture is right near the city though, and the aftershocks seem so much more menacing . . . huge BOOM . . . like a bleedin Howitzer goin off outside the back door . . . and then the jolt is really aggresive . . . people are leaving the city in droves . . . over 100,000 gone already . . . atmosphere here is really tense.

Hey thanks for your posts . . . makes me feel less isolated during this

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I don't blame ppl for leaving, especially when basic utilities like power and water are compromised, and possibly many can't work cos their work places were damaged etc.

Maybe it's time to take ur wife on a holiday?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

OMG, I don't know how you're handling that kind of stress. I've never been in a big earthquake..we don't have many in Ohio, and the ones we do have are small. We've had two in the last 22 years that I've lived here. The first one shook my living room lamps, and I was unaware of the second one until I heard about it on the news. I was freaked out anyway...guess I'm not made of the stuff that NZers are. Good luck, and be careful!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Murray!! I have wondered just how many here are from NZ. Yes we care. I'm in California near San Francisco. Thinking of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit