WTBS Inc and George Orwell…again!

by MacHislopp 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Scott77
    Scott77

MacHislopp,

Very excellent post with historical details and references. Your attention to details is amazing and impressive. Sorry for your failing health. I hope you feel better soon.

Scott77

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello again,

First of all many thanks for taking the time to ...read the material and add your personal touch. To reassure those who have commented on it, I do feel that slowly but gradually my health is improving. I do know that millions are suffering and I'm sure in worst condition than mine. So here I am again.

Now back to the post:

To DanaBug, OUTLAW , yourmomma, I do appreciate your comment.

Scully and Scott77 thank you for kind remarks.

Yesidid many thanks for your touching expression.

Baltar447 " Was this perhaps something he said in conversation and not wrote down" I thought of that reason in the first place. Please see my answer to Honesty below.

Honesty thanks for your comment and your research:

jv chap.5 p.43 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914)

The twig, though, had been trained by God-fearing parents; it was inclined "in the direction of the Lord." While he was still searching for truth, one evening in 1869, something happened that reestablished Charles’ wavering faith. Walking along near the Russells’ store on Federal Street, he heard religious singing coming from a basement hall. In his own words, this is what took place:

"Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists [Advent Christian Church], the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell . . .

Here are my observations In all the quotes, when the Society refers to Charles Taze Russell's own words, they insert the brackets at the beginning and at the end. i.e.

jv chap.5 p.43 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914)

The twig, though, had been trained by God-fearing parents; it was inclined "in the direction of the Lord." While he was still....

and

"Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, ...".

Now when you examine the redaction of § 14 :

***w 10 12/15 pp. 22-23 par. 14 Sing to Jehovah!***

14 One evening in 1869, C. T. Russell was returning home from work when he heard singing coming from a basement hall. At that time in his life, he had despaired of ever finding the truth about God. So he had decided to devote himself to his business interests, reasoning that if he made some money, he would at least be able to address the physical needs of people even if he could not help them spiritually. Brother Russell entered the dusty, dingy hall and found that religious services were being held there. He sat down and listened. He later wrote that what he heard that night “was sufficient, under God, to re-establish [his] wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible.” Notice that it was the singing that initially attracted Brother Russell to the meeting.

you will notice that the part - when he heard singing coming from ...- originates from the editor 's words. The Editor is telling the story in his own words. When the account become more personal like :

- He later wrote that what he heard that night ..-

than the Editor inserts the brackets because the words he is quoting i.e.

"... reestablish my wavering faith in the Divine inspiration of the Bible."

are taken from material already published in the Zion's Watch Tower of June 1st 1916, page 170 (R5909).

As a matter of fact when at the end of the paragraph the Editor writes :

Notice that it was the singing that initially attracted Brother Russell to the meeting.

he is unable to put any brackets because nowhere , even in the earliest biography and other publications, Charles Taze Russell says or mentions or even hints at the fact that - it was the singing that initially attracted - him.

Imho, if ever it existed a publication, with that proof , the Society's Editor of the December 15th 2010, article would have not failed to refer to it.

Furthermore, an even clearer example of what I'm saying can be seen on the material which I've added already into the research i.e.

yb 75 p.34 Part1—United States of America***

‘A DAY OF SMALL THINGS’

It is about 1870; the place, Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. Allegheny, which later became a part of Pittsburgh, is a city of many churches. One evening a young man of eighteen is walking along one of Allegheny’s streets. By his own later admission, he had been “shaken in faith regarding many long-accepted doctrines” and had fallen “a ready prey to the logic of infidelity.” But tonight he is attracted by some singing. He enters a dusty, dingy hall. His object? In his own words, “to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches.”

There you can see how the article's Editor every time is quoting C.T. Russell's words , inserts the brackets but NOT when he writes :

- he is attracted by some singing -

In conclusion and also to answer to Baltar447, until proved the contrary the - singing - stuff is a deceptive and baseless material which proves again, if need there was, that in the WTBS Inc. case, Georges Orwell was right .

“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”

Greetings to all of you,

J.C. MacHislopp

P.S. To InterestedOne : Thanks for your comment. I'll look into the matter including the 1957 book you're referring to and I'll reply as asoon as possible.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello again ,

I wish to add another piece to the research. As far as I know, this issue of the Zion’s Watch Tower, May 1890 - therefore published 121 years ago - is the first to mention C.T. Russel own words : " I had heard that religious services were held " and " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell " but again no mention of singing .

[R1211 : page 1]

VOL. XI. ALLEGHENY, PA., MAY, 1890. NO. 6.

Zion's Watch Tower

AND

HERALD OF CHRIST'S PRESENCE.

----------

PUBLISHED MONTHLY.

----------

TOWER PUBLISHING COMPANY.

----------

"BIBLE HOUSE:"
    Arch Street, Allegheny, Pa., U.S.A.
    C. T. RUSSELL, EDITOR.

r1211 POEMS AND HYMNS OF DAWN.
    r1212 VIEW FROM THE TOWER.
    r1212 SENATOR BLAIR'S VIEW.
    r1213 EXTRACTS FROM INTERESTING LETTERS.
    r1214 MR. MOODY ON THE BIBLE.
    r1214 THE SEVENTH TRUMPET.
    r1214 PERILS AMONG FALSE BRETHREN. r1214 HARVEST GATHERING AND SIFTINGS. r1214 SIFTING THE WHEAT.
    r1214 PUTTING OFF AND PUTTING ON.
    r1215 A POINTED APPLICATION.
    r1215 THE SUBSIDENCE OF MOUNTAINS.
    r1213 AN EPISCOPAL BISHOP ON BAPTISM.
    r1215 "ACCEPTED."

[R1214 : page 3]

HARVEST GATHERING AND SIFTINGS.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEVELOPMENTOF PRESENT TRUTH.

Many are the inquiries relative to the truths presented in the TOWER and MILLENNIAL DAWN, as to whence they came and how they developed to their present symmetrical and beautiful proportions.-- Were they the results of visions? Did God in any supernatural way grant the solution of these, hitherto, mysteries of his plan? Are the writers more than ordinary beings? Do they claim any supernatural wisdom or power? or how comes this revelation of God's truth, any how?

…..

We give the following history not only because we have been urged to give a review of God's leadings in the path of light, but specially because we believe it to be needful that the truth be modestly told, that misapprehensions and prejudicial mis-statements may be disarmed, and that our readers may see how hitherto the Lord hath helped and guided us. In so far as the names and views of others, who have parted company with us, may be associated with this history, we shall endeavor to bring forward only such points as are necessary to an understanding of our position and of the Lord's leadings.

Nor can we name all the little points of divine favor in which faith was tested, prayers were answered, etc., remembering that our Master and the early church left no such example of boasting of faith, but rather admonished otherwise, saying, "Hast thou faith, have it to thyself." Some of the most precious experiences of faith and prayer are those which are too sacred for public display.

We will not go back to tell how the light began to break through the clouds of prejudice and superstition which enveloped the world under Papacy's rule in the dark ages. The reformation movement, or rather movements, from then until now, has each done its share in bringing light out of darkness.

But confining ourselves to the consideration of the harvest truths set forth in Millennial Dawn and Zion's Watch Tower, we begin the narrative at the year 1868, when the editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some years, and a member of the Congregational Church and of the Y.M.C.A., began to be shaken in faith regarding many long-accepted doctrines. Brought up a Presbyterian and indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the logic of Infidelity as soon as I began to think for myself.

But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence, overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in human creeds and systems of misinterpretation of the Bible.

Gradually I was led to see that though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word.

Among other theories, I stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches.

There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists from the preacher, Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased.

[R1214 : page 4] Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear, and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to re-establish my wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible, and to show that the records of the apostles and prophets are indissolubly linked. What I heard sent me to my Bible to study with more zeal and care than ever before, and I shall ever thank the Lord for that leading; for though Adventism helped me to no single truth, it did help me greatly in the unlearning of errors, and thus prepared me for the truth.

I soon began to see that we were living somewhere near the close of the Gospel age, and near the time when the Lord had declared that the wise, watching ones of his children should come to a clear knowledge of his plan.

At this time, myself and a few other truth-seekers in Pittsburgh and Allegheny formed a class for Bible study, and from 1870 to 1875 was a time of constant growth in grace and knowledge and love of God and his plan.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Greetings to all,

J.C. MacHislopp

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I just skimmed through this post due to the length, but I really appreciated this in the 2011 YB: Our researchers do not rely on blogs or poorly documented Web entries written by unidentified or unqualified persons.

What in the world makes THEM qualified. As far as my experience has shown, very few in the writing department had any researching education, let alone degrees in english comp.

Also, how can they talk about "unidentified persons"?!?!? I don't even know WHO wrote this article!!!! What a bunch of baloney!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Thanks MacHislopp. Too funny - 'tracing all things with accuracy,' huh? It would be very interesting to trace where the 'singing' part of the story originally came from. Yes, maybe Barbara Anderson can recall something?

The other funny thing is that these 'Bible truths' the article spoke about were in Christendom's hymns.

The quote, "The singing of the truth is a good way to get it into the heads and hearts of God's people" comes from ZWT 1896, Feb. 15, p. 26, and apparently is in connection with launching a collection of Millennial Dawn hymns/Zion's Glad Songs of the Morning.

• metatron
    metatron

Welcome back! Your posts are excellent!

metatron

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

Just more material on the same topic.

InterestedOne : concerning the - singing - please note, what the Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence published in the issue of May 1890:

[R1214 : page 3]

HARVEST GATHERING AND SIFTINGS.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEVELOPMENTOF PRESENT TRUTH.

... But confining ourselves to the consideration of the harvest truths set forth in MillennialDawn and Zion's Watch Tower,we begin the narrative at the year 1868, when the editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some years, and a member of the Congregational Church and of the Y.M.C.A .,began to be shaken in faith regarding many long-accepted doctrines. Brought up a Presbyterian and indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the logic of Infidelity as soon as I began to think for myself.

But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence, overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in human creeds and systems of misinterpretation of the Bible.

Gradually I was led to see that though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word.

Among other theories, I stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists from the preacher, Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased.

Then compare the above ,with what MacMillan wrote , 67 years later - with N. Knorr's approval :

"Faith on the March " A.H. Macmillan 1957 Edition

(Page 16 16th - 22nd line)

SEEKING GOD'S WILL

Some have said that just such a chain of reactions was set in motion when, about 1870, a young man (whose life, later, had considerable influence on my own), upon hearing religious singing in a little dingy hall on one of the dark streets of Allegheny, Pennsylvania, turned aside and walked in.

(page 17 17th - 24th line)

Finally he left the Presbyterian Church because its teaching on doctrine was too

narrow; he joined the Congregational Church, which he found more liberal. He had become particularly interested in the Y.M.C.A. "There's the place I can work with other young men," he reasoned. He had never wanted to sit around the church looking pious or just listening to singing and someone preaching on matters that were unreasonable, horrifying and unlike a God of love. He wanted to be active-- trying to save men from going to eternal damnation. So he had worked and studied, continuing to search for the truth.

(page 19 9th-17th line)

THE BIBLE STRENGTHENS WAVERING FAITH

On this evening about 1870 he had been walking along one of the dark streets in Allegheny when he heard singing. He paused for a moment. Being young, he had an insatiable thirst for knowledge. As a reverential lad, he still had a desire for faith in the Supreme Being.

Kindly compare with what the Society wrote 54 years later :

**w10 12/15 pp.22-23 par.14 Sing to Jehovah!

14 One evening in 1869, C. T. Russell was returning home from work when he heard singing coming from a basement hall.

At that time in his life, he had despaired of ever finding the truth about God. So he had decided to devote himself to his business

interests, reasoning that if he made some money, he would at least be able to address the physical needs of people even if he

could not help them spiritually. Brother Russell entered the dusty, dingy hall and found that religious services were being held there.

He sat down and listened. He later wrote that what he heard that night “was sufficient, under God, to re-establish [his] wavering

faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible.” Notice that it was the singing that initially attracted Brother

Russell to the meeting.

For the other point i.e. C.T. Russell ' s reasoning , please note, what MacMillan wrote - with N. Knorr's approval :

"Faith on the March " A.H. Macmillan 1957 Edition

(page 18 15th-23rd line)

TRADITIONALISM ENCOURAGES INFIDELITY

Like many serious thinkers before and since, finding the traditional teachings of religious Christendom untenable, he was falling an easy prey to the logic of infidelity.

At the age of seventeen, then, this had become his conclusion:

"Now my father is in business here in Pittsburgh and is doing quite well. There is no use in my trying to find out anything reasonable about the future from any of the creeds or even from the Bible, so I'm just going to forget the whole thing and give all my attention to business. If I make some money I can use that to help suffering humanity, even though I cannot do them any good spiritually."

Kindly compare with what the Society wrote 54 years later :

***w10 12/15 pp.22-23 par.14 Sing to Jehovah

14 One evening in 1869, C. T. Russell was returning home from work when he heard singing coming from a basement hall. At that

time in his life, he had despaired of ever finding the truth about God. So he had decided to devote himself to his

business interests, reasoning that if he made some money, he would at least be able to address the

physical needs of people even if he could not help them spiritually. Brother Russell entered the dusty, dingy hall

and found that religious services were being held there. He sat down and listened. He later wrote that what he heard that night

“was sufficient, under God, to re-establish [his] wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible.” Notice that it was the singing t hat initially attracted Brother Russell to the meeting.

The above examples prove that on certain things even H. MacMillan is unreliable and again, if need there was, that in the WTBS Inc. case, Georges Orwell was right .

“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”

Greetings to all of you,

J.C. MacHislopp

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

MacHislopp: So it looks like the singing and the "make-money-to-help-humanity" both can be traced to Macmillan's book in 1957. I wonder if they can be traced back any further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit