WTBS Inc and George Orwell…again!

by MacHislopp 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

I’m sorry for the lengthy absence, but my health is not the way

I would like it to be. Most of the time I have problems with coping

with everyday life chores. I do certainly apply with my best intentions …

but sometimes it’s not enough.

I do keep in touch with the posts, with new and ‘old’ members.

I try to prepare topics and answers but I do have difficulty to follow through.

This time I wanted to give it a try. Here it is:

From the 2011 Yearbook - "Tracing All Things with Accuracy", pages 9-13

Jesus said that the faithful slave would be discreet in giving the domestics "their food at the proper time." Christ thus indicated that those who dispense this "food" would be conscientious, prudent, and discerning in providing spiritual food for the household of faith.-Matt. 24:45-47

In our time, Christ's anointed brothers use the Writing Department in Brooklyn, New York, to provide spiritual information in the form of magazines, brochures, books, and other printed and electronic material. This spiritual food, like physical food, has to be well prepared. Even Bible writers, who were directed by holy spirit, made sure that they recorded information that was thoroughly researched and accurate. Luke, for example, spoke to many eyewitnesses and "traced all things from the start with accuracy."-Luke 1:1-4.

The Writing Department follows the pattern of 'tracing all things with accuracy'. But where can reliable information be found? While the Internet is a convenient and quick source of vast amounts of information, our researchers do not rely on blogs or poorly documented Web entries written by unidentified or unqualified persons.

...Of course, it is as Ecclesiastes 12:12 reminds us: "To the making of many books there is no end." Even reputable sources may contain false information. So how do we check for quality, accuracy, and reliability?

Many hours of research and meticulous calculations eventually confirmed the accuracy of this astounding piece of information.

At times, though, even a seemingly reputable source may fail to corroborate details adequately.

........ It is usually possible to confirm the accuracy of the details by cross-checking various sources of information.

....In summary, the Writing Department insists on using only material that is accurate and truthful, even regarding seemingly insignificant details. As a result, "the faithful and discreet slave" can consistently supply spiritual food that brings honor to "The God of truth," Jehovah.-Ps. 31:5

Considering the quoted information, let's focus on paragraph 14, pages 22-23 of the w 15/12/2010 , assigned for the congregation' study on Sunday 27th February 2011:

*** w1012/15pp.22-23par.14SingtoJehovah!***

14 One evening in 1869, C. T. Russell was returning home from work when he heard singing coming from a basement hall. At that time in his life, he had despaired of ever finding the truth about God. So he had decided to devote himself to his business interests, reasoning that if he made some money, he would at least be able to address the physical needs of people even if he could not help them spiritually. Brother Russell entered the dusty, dingy hall and found that religious services were being held there. He sat down and listened. He later wrote that what he heard that night “was sufficient, under God, to re-establish [his] wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible.” Notice that it was the singing that initially attracted Brother Russell to the meeting.

That mention of " singing " twice in the paragraph did look a bit odd ... and out of place. Therefore a good research was needed ...and it gave the following results :

I*

131 years ago

(from : http://ctr.reslight.net/?p=346 )

ZION ’S
    WATCH TOWER
    AND
    HERALD OF CHRIST’S PRESENCE

Vol. I********** JULY, 1879 ********** No. 1

page 1
    SUPPLEMENT TO
    Zion’s Watch Tower,

And “Herald of Christ’s Presence.”

==========

PITTSBURGH , PA. , JULY 1, 1879.

==========

To the readers of the “HERALD OF THE MORNING,”

DEAR FRIENDS: My connection with the “Herald” having been terminated rather suddenly, and under circumstances which must seem rather remarkable and peculiar to you, I feel it to be a duty both to you and to myself to offer an explanation of the manner of withdrawal and my reasons for so doing. Quite a number who were personally acquainted with me thought there must be more of the story to tell, and I have received a number of letters asking an explanation. To these inquiries and to many unexpressed of similar character, let me offer the following statement:

I have been a Bible student since I first had my attention called to the second coming of our Lord, by Jonas Wendel, a Second Advent Preacher, about 1869, who was then preaching the burning of the world as being due in 1873. But though he first awakened my interest on the subject, I was not a convert, either to the time he suggested nor to the events he predicted. I, in company with others in Pittsburgh, organized and maintained a bible class for the searching of the Scriptures, meeting every Sunday.

(Mention is made of : " I first had my attention called to the second coming of our Lord, by Jonas Wendel, a Second Advent Preacher, about 1869" b A precise year is

given but ...no mention of singing. )

II*

117 years ago

Extra Edition Vol. XV n° 8

Zion's Watch Tower

and Herald of Christ's Presence

April 25th 1894

C.T. Russell Editor

page 94 harvest

We begin the narrative at the year 1868 , when the

editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some

years, and a member of the Congregational Church and

of the Y. M. C. A., began to be shaken in faith regarding

many long accepted doctrines . Brought up a Presbyterian,

and indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being

naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the

logic of infidelity as soon as I began to think for myself.

But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck

of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence,

overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence

in human creeds and systems of misinterpreta'

tion of the Bible.

Gradually I was led to see that though each of

the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were,

on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's

Word. Among other theories, I stumbled upon Advent-

Sifting page 95

ism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into

a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services

were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything

more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great

churches. There, for the first time, I heard something ol

the views of Second Adventists , the preacher being Mr.

Jonas Wendell, long since deceased. Thus, I confess indebtedness to Adventists as well as to other denominations.

Though his Scripture-exposition was not entirely

clear, and tiiough it was very far from what we now rejoice

in, it was sufficient, under God, to re-establish my

wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible, and

to show that the records of the aposdes and prophets are

indissolubly linked.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

(Extra issue of Zion's Watch Tower for April 25th , 1894 with two sections: "A Conspiracy Exposed" and "Harvest Siftings". This issue was not included in the Watch Tower Reprints done in 1920. It discusses dissension among the Bible Students and recounts their history from the 1870s. )

(Mention is made of : " I had heard that religious services were held " and " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell " but again no mention of singing .)

III*

105 years ago

from: ( http://www.mostholyfaith.com/bible/Reprints/Z1906JUL.asp#Z229:3´)

page 209 July 1st

ZION'S

WATCH TOWER

and

Herald of Christ's Presence

ROCK OF AGES
    Other foundation can
    no man lay
    A RANSOM FOR ALL

"Watchman, What of the Night?"

"The Morning Cometh, and a Night also!" Isaiah 21:11

SEMI-MONTHLY.

VOL. XXVII

JULY 15

No. 14

A.D., 1906--A.M., 6034

CONTENTS.

"Truth is Stranger Than Fiction"

"All the Way My Savior Leads Me"

"The Cup Which My Father Hath Poured, Shall I Not Drink It?"

Samples of Interesting Letters

Resolutions of the Allegheny Congregation and Others

"Harvest Siftings"

Perils Amongst False Brethren

A Sketch of the Development of Present Truth

Woman's Rights and Wrongs

“I will stand upon my watch, and set my foot upon the Tower, and will watch to see what He shall say unto me, and what answer I shall make to them that oppose me.” Hab. 2:1

HARVEST GATHERING AND SIFTINGS

[R3821 : page 229]

A SKETCH OF THE DEVELOPMENT OF PRESENT TRUTH

Many are the inquiries relative to the truths presented in MILLENNIAL DAWN and ZION'S WATCH TOWER, as to whence they came and how they developed to their present symmetrical and beautiful proportions--Were they the results of visions? Did God in any supernatural way grant the solution of these hitherto mysteries of his plan? Are the writers more than ordinary beings? Do they claim any supernatural wisdom or power? or how comes this revelation of God's truth?

No, dear friends, I claim nothing of superiority, nor supernatural power, dignity or authority; nor do I aspire to exalt myself in the estimation of my brethren of the household of faith, except in the sense that the Master urged it, saying, "Let him who would be great among you be your servant." ( Matt. 20:27 .) And my position among men of the world and of the nominal church is certainly far from exalted, being "everywhere spoken against." I am fully contented, however, to wait for exaltation until the Lord's due time. ( I Pet. 5:6 .) In the Apostle's words I therefore answer, "Why look ye upon us, as though by our own power we had done these things? We also are men of like passions with yourselves"--of like infirmities and frailties, earnestly striving, by overcoming many besetments, discouragements, etc., to press along the line toward the mark of the prize of our high calling, and claiming only, as a faithful student of the Word of God, to be an index finger, as I have previously expressed it, to help you to trace for yourselves, on the sacred page, the wonderful plan of God--no less wonderful to me, I assure you, than to you, dearly beloved sharers of my faith and joy.

No, the truths I present, as God's mouthpiece, were not revealed in visions or dreams, nor by God's audible voice, nor all at once, but gradually, especially since 1870, and particularly since 1880. Neither is this clear unfolding of truth due to any human ingenuity or acuteness of perception, but to the simple fact that God's due time has come; and if I did not speak, and no other agent could be found, the very stones would cry out.

The following history is given not merely because I have been urged to give a review of God's leadings in the path of light, but specially because I believe it to be needful that the truth be modestly told, that misapprehensions and prejudicial misstatements may be disarmed, and that our readers may see how hitherto the Lord has helped and guided. In so far as the names and views of others, who have parted our company, may be associated with this history, I shall endeavor to bring forward only such points as are necessary to an understanding of our position and of the Lord's leadings. Nor can I name all the little points of divine favor in which faith was tested, prayers were answered, etc., remembering that our Master and the early Church left no such example of boasting faith, but rather admonished otherwise, saying, "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself." Some of the most precious experiences of faith and prayer are those which are too sacred for public display.

LIGHT OUT OF DARKNESS

I will not go back to tell how the light began to break through the clouds of prejudice and superstition which enveloped the world under Papacy's rule in the dark ages. The Reformation movement, or rather movements, from then until now, have each done their share in bringing light out of darkness. Let me here confine myself to the consideration of the harvest truths set forth in MILLENNIAL DAWN and ZION'S WATCH TOWER.

Let me begin the narrative at the year 1868, when the Editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some years, and a member of the Congregational Church and of the Y.M.C.A., began to be shaken in faith regarding many long-accepted doctrines. Brought up a Presbyterian, and indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the logic of infidelity as soon as I began to think for myself. But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence, overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in human creeds and systems of misinterpretation of the Bible.

Gradually I was led to see that though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word.

Among other theories, I stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased. Thus, I confess indebtedness to Adventists as well as to other denominations.

Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear, and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to re-establish my wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible, and to show that the records of the apostles and prophets are indissolubly linked. What I heard sent me to my Bible to study with more zeal and care than ever before, and I shall ever thank the Lord for that leading; for though Adventism helped me to no single truth, it did help me greatly in the unlearning of errors, and thus prepared me for the Truth.

(Mention is made of : " I had heard that religious services were held " and " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell " but again no mention of singing .)

IV*

95 years ago

[page 161]

VOL. XXXVII. JUNE 1 No. 11 A.D. 1916--A.M. 6044

----------

CONTENTS

Training Our Affections Heavenward . . 163
    Setting Affections Above a Gradual Work 164
    "The King in His Beauty" (Poem) . . . 165
    The Philippian Jailer . . . . . 166
    A Well-Timed Earthquake . . . . 167
    Finally, Brethren, Think! . . . . 168
    The Power of Thought . . . . . 169
    Questions for Self-Examination. . . 169
    Scope of the Abrahamic Covenant . . . 169 Harvest Gatherings and Siftings . . . 170 Sketch of Development of Present Truth. 170
    First Faint Gleam of God's Plan . . 170
    Chronology Seen to Be Valuable . . 171
    An Important Discovery . . . . 171
    The Beginning of the Harvest Work . . 171
    Denying the Ransom . . . . . 172
    "The Watch Tower" Begun . . . . 172
    "Tabernacle Shadows of Better Sacrifices" 173
    Further Light on the Scriptures . . 174
    Doth This Offend You? . . . . . 175

[page 162]

PUBLISHED BY
    WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY
    CHARLES T. RUSSELL, PRESIDENT
    "BROOKLYN TABERNACLE," 13-17 HICKS ST.,
    BROOKLYN, N. Y., U. S. A.

Foreign Agencies:--British Branch: LONDON TABERNACLE, Lancaster Gate, London, W. German Branch: Unterdorner Str., 76, Barmen. Australasian Branch: Flinders Building, Flinders St., Melbourne. Please address the SOCIETY in every case.

----------
    ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION PRICE, $1.00 (4s.) IN ADVANCE.
    SEND MONEY BY EXPRESS, BANK DRAFT, POSTAL ORDER, OR REGISTERED.
    FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES BY FOREIGN MONEY ORDERS, ONLY.
    ----------

[R5909 : page 170]

HARVEST GATHERINGS AND SIFTINGS

MANY are the inquiries relative to the truths presented in the STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES and THE WATCH TOWER, as to whence they came and how they developed to their present symmetrical and beautiful proportions. Were they the results of visions? Did God in some supernatural way grant the solution of these hitherto hidden mysteries of His Plan? Is the author of these writings more than an ordinary being? Does he claim supernatural wisdom or power? Or how comes this revelation of God's Truth?

No, dear friends; we claim nothing of superiority; nor do we aspire to exalt ourself in the estimation of our brethren of the Household of Faith, except in the sense that the Master urged it, saying, "Whosoever will be chief among you let him be your servant." ( Matthew 20:27 .) Our position amongst men of the world and of the Nominal Church, is certainly far from exalted; for we are everywhere spoken against. We are fully content, however, to wait for exaltation, until the Lord's due time. ( 1 Peter 5:6 .) In the words of the Apostle, we therefore answer, "Why look ye upon us, as though by our own power we had done these things?" We also are a man of like passions with yourselves, of like infirmities and frailties, earnestly striving by overcoming many besetments, discouragements, etc., to press along the line toward the Prize of our High Calling, and claiming only, as a faithful student of the Word of God, to be an index finger, as we have previously expressed it, to help you trace for yourselves upon the sacred page the wonderful Plan of God--no less wonderful to us, we assure you, than to yourselves.

No, the truths we present, were revealed in visions and dreams or by God's audible voice; nor were they revealed all at once, but gradually, especially since 1870, and particularly since 1880. This present unfolding of Truth is not due to human ingenuity or acuteness of perception, but to the simple fact that God's due time has come; and if we did not speak, and no other agent could be found, the very stones would cry out.

We give the following history, not only because we have been urged to give a review of God's leadings in the path of light, but especially because we believe it to be needful that the truth be modestly told, in order that misapprehensions and prejudicial misstatements may be disarmed, and that our readers may see all along the way the Lord has helped and guided us. In so far as the names and views of others who have parted company with us may be associated with this history, we shall endeavor to bring forward only such points as are necessary to an understanding of our position and of the Lord's leadings. Nor can we name all the little points of Divine favor to which was tested, prayers were answered, etc., remembering that our Master and the early Church left no such example of boasting faith, but admonished otherwise, saying, "Hast thou faith, have it to thyself."

We will not go back to tell how the light began to break through the clouds of prejudice and superstition which enveloped the world under Papacy's rule in the Dark Ages. The Reformation movement, or rather movements, from then until now, have done their share in bringing light out of darkness. But we will here confine ourselves to the consideration of the Harvest truths set forth in the publications of the THE WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY formerly called MILLENNIAL DAWN and ZION'S WATCH TOWER, now called STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES and THE WATCH TOWER. We begin the narrative at the year 1868, when Editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some years, and a member of the Congregational Church and of the Y.M.C.A ., began to be shaken in faith regarding many long accepted doctrines.

SKETCH OF DEVELOPMENT OF PRESENT TRUTH

Brought up a Presbyterian, indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the logic of infidelity , as soon as I began to think for myself. But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence, overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in human creeds and systems of Bible misinterpretations.

I was led gradually to see though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word.

Among other theories, stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall in Allegheny, Pa., where I had heard that religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches.

There, for the first time , I heard something of the views of Second Adventism , by Jonas Wendell, long since deceased. Thus I confess indebtedness to Adventists as well as to other denominations.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

V*

88 years ago

The Laodicean Messenger:

Being the Memoirs of the Life, Works and Character of That Faithful and Wise Servant of the Most High God," published by the Bible Students Book Store (1923).

A biography of Charles Taze Russell, first president of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

The book was written by William N. Wisdom and L.W. Jones, who at that time were prominent members of the International Bible Students Association.

(from: http://www.archive.org/details/TheLaodiceanMessenger)

THE LAODICEAN MESSENGER

being the

MEMOIRS of the Life, Works and Characterof That Faithful and Wise Servant

of the Most High God Published by

The BIBLE STUDENTS BOOK STORE Chicago, Ill., U. S. A.

Christ in you, the hope of glory Col. 1: 27 "EVERY true child

of God must have a definite individual Christian character

which is not dependent for its existence upon the spiritual life of

any other Christian. He must from the Word of Truth,

proclaimed, and exemplified by other Christians, draw those

principles of life, which give him an established character, a

spiritual individuality of his own. So positive and definite

should be the spiritual individuality of every one, that, should

even the beloved brother and sister whose spiritual life first

nourished our and brought us forward to completeness of

character fall away, we would still live, being able to

appropriate for ourselves the Spirit of Truth." -Daily Heavenly

Manna. September 17th .

COPYRIGHTED, 1923

By The BIBLE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE CHICAGO, ILL.

______

Printed in the United States of America

______

THIRD EDITION

DEDICATION

The King of Kings and Lord of Lords

IN THE INTEREST OF CONSECRATED SAINTS,

WAITING FOR THE ADOPTION.

This Work is Dedicated To the sacred memory of a wise and

faithful servant of the most high God; and it is with a sincere

hope and fervent prayer that it will be a great aid to all in

reviving a Christian zeal, which, though painful to say, is

gradually losing in "its first love" and eagerness to serve the

Lord and His children, our Brethren.

LMi

FOREWARD

When the news was flashed over the wire soon after Oct. 31st,

1916, "Pastor Russell is Dead," the Truth Friends all over the

world received the shock of their lives. Never did more

unwelcome news reach loyal, loving Brethren; apparently, were

there more heart-aches; never more sorrow; never did more hot

tears of grief flow from human eyes than when this sad news

was received.

LM9

CHAPTER II

AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL NOTES

A CONDENSED HISTORY OF THE BEGINNING AND

PROGRESSION OF THE HARVEST WORK

The following condensed though comprehensive history of the

way in which the Lord opened up to the mind of young Russell

the truth respecting His Plan, as emphatically shown in the

Scriptures, together with some of the discouragements which

beset him and the difficulties he had to overcome in his earnest

endeavors to follow the Lord's leadings, to the accomplishment

of the Divine purpose, are best told in Pastor Russell's own words:

"Many are the inquiries relative to the truths presented in the

Scripture Studies and Watch Tower, as to whence they came

and how they developed to their present symmetrical and

beautiful proportions: Were they the results of visions? Did God

in any supernatural way grant the solution of these hitherto

mysteries of His plan? Are the writers more than ordinary

beings? Do they claim any supernatural wisdom or power? Or

how comes this revelation of God's truth?

God, but did not recognize the Bible; not knowing whether

Christ were my redeemer or not. Nevertheless I went

continually to God in prayer and asked for guidance and finally

in God's providence, I came to see the clear light on the Divine

Word.

"But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck[ of

Faith in God and the Bible, was under God's providence,

overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in

human creeds and systems of misinterpretation of the Bible.

Gradually I was lead to see that through each of the creeds

contained some elements of truths, they were, on the whole,

misleading

LM12

and contradictory of God's Word .

Among other things, I stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time , I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell, long since deceased .

Thus I confess my indebtedness to Adventists, as well as to other denominations.

VI*

56 years ago

*** w551/1p.7Part1—EarlyVoices(1870-1878)***

During the next few months Russell continued to reflect over the subject of religion, unable to accept it, and yet unwilling to let it go. Finally one day in 1870he dropped into a dusty, dingy little basement hall near his Federal Street store—

“to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell . . . Though his Scripture-exposition was not entirely clear, and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to re-establish my wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible, and to show that the records of the apostles and prophets are indissolubly linked.”

(Mention is made of : " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell " and " . . . Though his Scripture-exposition was not entirely clear, .." but again no mention of singing .)

VII*

52 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses In The Divine Purpose

(publ. 1959)

CHAPTER 2

The Turning from Religious Confusion Begins

Page 14

During the next few months Russell continued to reflect over the subject of religion, unable to accept it, and yet unwilling to let it go. Then he relates:

Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall in Allegheny, Pa., where I had heard that religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell . . .

Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear,and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to reestablish my wavering faith in the Divine inspiration of the Bible, and to show that the records of the Apostles and the Prophets are indissolubly linked.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

(Mention is made of : " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell " and " . . . Though his Scripture-exposition was not entirely clear, .." but again no mention of singing .)

VIII*

38 years ago

*** w737/1p.394par.5OrganizedtoPraiseGod***

. Of this, Russell later wrote:

Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall in Allegheny, Pa., where I had heard that religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time,I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell . . .

Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear, . . . it was sufficient, under God, to reestablish my wavering faith in the Divine inspiration of the Bible , and to show that the records of the Apostles and the Prophets are indissolubly linked.

( Mention is made of : " There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists, the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell " and " . . . Though his Scripture-exposition was not entirely clear, .." but again no mention of singing .)

IX*

36 years ago

*** yb75p.34Part1—UnitedStatesofAmerica***

‘A DAYOFSMALLTHINGS’

It is about 1870; the place, Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. Allegheny, which later became a part of Pittsburgh, is a city of many churches. One evening a young man of eighteen is walking along one of Allegheny’s streets. By his own later admission, he had been “shaken in faith regarding many long-accepted doctrines” and had fallen “a ready prey to the logic of infidelity.” But tonight he is attracted by some singing. He enters a dusty, dingy hall. His object? In his own words , “to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches.”

The research shows that the words quoted, " ..." are taken from the Zion's Watch Tower, issue of June 1st 1916, page 170 (R 5909) . The only difference is that, the editor adds, for the first time the notion of singing :

" But tonight he is attracted by some singing ."

The most detailed account of the same event, dated July 15th 1906 and reported again on June 1st 1916 - just 4 months before C.T. Russell's death never mention

any singing.)

page 161

ZION'S

WATCH TOWER

and

Herald of Christ's Presence

ROCK OF AGES
    Other foundation can
    no man lay
    A RANSOM FOR ALL

"Watchman, What of the Night?"

"The Morning Cometh, and a Night also!" Isaiah 21:11

VOL. XXXVII.

JUNE 1

No. 11

A.D. 1916--A.M. 6044

CONTENTS

Training Our Affections Heavenward

Setting Affections Above a Gradual Work

"The King in His Beauty" (Poem)

The Philippian Jailer

A Well-Timed Earthquake

Finally, Brethren, Think!

The Power of Thought

Questions for Self-Examination

Scope of the Abrahamic Covenant

Harvest Gatherings and Siftings

Sketch of Development of Present Truth

First Faint Gleam of God's Plan

Chronology Seen to Be Valuable

An Important Discovery

The Beginning of the Harvest Work

Denying the Ransom

"The Watch Tower" Begun

"Tabernacle Shadows of Better Sacrifices"

Further Light on the Scriptures

Doth This Offend You?

[R5909 : page 170]

HARVEST GATHERINGS AND SIFTINGS

M ANY are the inquiries relative to the truths presented in the STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES and THE WATCH TOWER, as to whence they came and how they developed to their present symmetrical and beautiful proportions. Were they the results of visions? Did God in some supernatural way grant the solution of these hitherto hidden mysteries of His Plan? Is the author of these writings more than an ordinary being? Does he claim supernatural wisdom or power? Or how comes this revelation of God's Truth?

We begin the narrative at the year 1868 , when Editor, having been a consecrated child of God for some years, and a member of the Congregational Church and of the Y.M.C.A., began to be shaken in faith regarding many long accepted doctrines.

SKETCH OF DEVELOPMENT OF PRESENT TRUTH

Brought up a Presbyterian, indoctrinated from the Catechism, and being naturally of an inquiring mind, I fell a ready prey to the logic of infidelity , as soon as I began to think for myself. But that which at first threatened to be the utter shipwreck of faith in God and the Bible, was, under God's providence, overruled for good, and merely wrecked my confidence in human creeds and systems of Bible misinterpretations.

I was led gradually to see though each of the creeds contained some elements of truth, they were, on the whole, misleading and contradictory of God's Word . Among other theories, stumbled upon Adventism. Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall in Allegheny, Pa., where I had heard that religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches . There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventism, by Jonas Wendell, long since deceased. Thus I confess indebtedness to Adventists as well as to other denominations.

Though his Scripture exposition was not entirely clear, and though it was very far from what we now rejoice in, it was sufficient, under God, to reestablish my wavering faith in the Divine inspiration of the Bible , and to show that the records of the Apostles and the Prophets are indissolubly linked. What I heard sent me to my Bible to study with more zeal and care than ever before, and I shall ever thank the Lord for the leading; for although Adventism helped me to no single truth, it did help me greatly in the unlearning of errors, and thus prepared me for the Truth.

I X*

and finally...just 2 months ago :

*** w1012/15pp.22-23par.14SingtoJehovah!***

14 One evening in 1869, C. T. Russell was returning home from work when he heard singing coming from a basement hall. At that time in his life, he had despaired of ever finding the truth about God. So he had decided to devote himself to his business interests, reasoning that if he made some money, he would at least be able to address the physical needs of people even if he could not help them spiritually. Brother Russell entered the dusty, dingy hall and found that religious services were being held there. He sat down and listened. He later wrote that what he heard that night “was sufficient, under God, to re-establish [his] wavering faith in the divine inspiration of the Bible.” Notice that it was the singing that initially attracted Brother Russell to the meeting.

The research shows that the words quoted :

"... reestablish my wavering faith in the

Divine inspiration of the Bible ."

are again taken from the Zion's Watch Tower, issue of June 1st 1916, page 170 (R5909) The only difference is that, the editor for the second time , adds the notion of singing ...TWICE :

" when he heard singing .." and

" Notice that it was the singing..."

Yet he most detailed account of the same event, dated July 15th 1906 and reported again on June 1st 1916 - just 4 months before C.T. Russell's death never mention

any singing.

In conclusion the WTBS Inc. has done it again…

Orwell was right :

“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”

A very cheap and dishonest way indeed, to promote… singing at meetings.

I do hope that I’ve not bored you. Many greetings to you all,

J.C. MacHislopp

P.S. I do apologize for the different styles, the size and colours but I’have problems with my eyesight.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Great post! "He that is faithful in least" comes to mind.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Mac!..

Good thread..Nice to have you back..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

awesome research

• baltar447
    baltar447

Can Barbara Anderson chime in on this? Was this perhaps something he said in conversation and not wrote down?

• yesidid
    yesidid

I missed you,

I missed you ,

I missed you.

Would you believe, just yesterday I was thinking of you and some of your great posts.

I was a little concerned because we've not heard from you in a while.

While I wish you were better, I an pleased yo are well enough to do another brilliant post.

Thank you and all the best.

yesidid

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's will have a ready reply because the cult anticipated something might be said about their accuracy:

jvchap.5p.43ProclaimingtheLord’sReturn(1870-1914)

The twig, though, had been trained by God-fearing parents; it was inclined "in the direction of the Lord." While he was still searching for truth, one evening in 1869, something happened that reestablished Charles’ wavering faith. Walking along near the Russells’ store on Federal Street, he heard religious singing coming from a basement hall. In his own words, this is what took place:

"Seemingly by accident, one evening I dropped into a dusty, dingy hall, where I had heard religious services were held, to see if the handful who met there had anything more sensible to offer than the creeds of the great churches. There, for the first time, I heard something of the views of Second Adventists [Advent Christian Church], the preacher being Mr. Jonas Wendell . . .

• baltar447
    baltar447

So did they invent the story about the singing or what?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Thank you MacHislopp for the information, and yeah I too wonder where the WT writer in the 70's got the part about the singing.

Also, if you have a chance, I was wondering if you could check out a question I recently asked about another historical element of the same paragraph in that recent WT article in the following thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/206592/1/Russells-reasoning-for-his-business-Last-article-in-12-15-2010-WT-Study

I was only able to go as far back as the Macmillan book from the 50's.

• Scully
    Scully

MacHislopp

Just wanted to pop in to your thread and say how happy I am to see you again!

Cheers, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit