Breakfast at McDonald's

by Sam Whiskey 21 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Good story Whiskey Sam. Sometimes people that are down and out are surprised when you treat them like a fellow human being. The church I am a member of feeds the homeless every Friday evening. They make a point of feeding them good food that we would enjoy eating. They use proper silverware and show them respect. Sometimes it hard to know why someone winds up like that so it is best not judge them.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Moshe, a rule I have learned about helping people is that you help them out of your abundance and you have to know when to cut the help off. Some people no matter how much you help them will always need more and will drag you down with them if you don't know when to call it quits.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It's a sweet story but I have to agree with almost everything Mad Sweeney said.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    One day I told my wife that I had an epiphany- poor people are often poor because of poor character. After many futile attempts to help down and out people who fell on hard times, I learned that the hard times were usually self-inflicted.
    Self inflicted for sure Moshe, but sometimes that's the most heart wrenching kind of hard times. Self destruction. It's one of the hardest things in the world to overcome, no matter how much one might try. Life is f*cking hard. I figure it's all about the one you touch, not the dozens who never get it.
  • clarity
    clarity

Sam, lovely story, you may never know just how much good was done.

"Sir82 said "But a good JW would have given the dude a Watchtower instead."

Once apon a time I was basically homeless for awhile, moving around, living with family in a nearby town, not belonging anywhere. Coming back into my old town one drizzeling day, I saw an elder (who knew my situation) doing street work and asked him if I could have a magazine. He possessively clutched those watchtowers tighter and said ..."can't, these are my last new ones"

I can't help but wonder ... if he had shown me the same human kindness as was shown in McDonalds, would it have changed something in me?

Pulling my collar up against the cold, I walked away feeling sick at heart.

You just never know.

c

• beksbks
    beksbks

Clarity! I honestly feel sorry for JW's. They are twisted beyond all human nature. They are afraid of human emotion and reaction. They are the true victims.

• tec
    tec

Lovely story, yes.

The more people who do things such as this, the more willing others will be to do it as well. Because someone showed them to do it.

Now I do have to disagree with Beks and Mad on this one. If this woman felt God was working through her, and she felt good at what had been done through her, then that is her right and it does not demean her in any way. Perhaps she gives credit to her love for this man, because of her love for God, and that because of His love for her.

I see nothing self-demeaning in her attitude.

Tammy

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Whiskey, your story here was pretty good. Made me all soft inside and stuff. Next time I go to Mickey Dees, it'll be whiskey shooters all round for everybody.

BTS

• Listener
    Listener
    I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, "I did not do this for you. God is here working through me to give you hope."

It is a bit of a strange story as her actions seem to be prompted by her college assignment. If she didn't do it for this person then imho she has missed the point of giving.

I agree with Mad Sweeny. We are responsible for our own actions and we can thank God for giving us our abilities and demonstrating how we should act.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I agree with Tammy, It doesn't matter who you give credit to... as long as you do good from your heart :)

I know if I would have seen this myself it would have touched me, it brought tears to my eyes just reading it.

Pay it Forward...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit