If God exists.... which church does he attend?

by cyberjesus 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Lots of good comments on this thread. Great topic, CJ.

GaryNeal: In the end, I think we can only prove what is incorrect and for the Watchtower, they have so many things that are so easily proven wrong. But of course, the same could be said about Christianity.

Yeah, I can't agree with you more, Gary. I think that's about the most intellectually humble perspective to take, at least for average folks like me who aren't blazing a path of discovery.

Once I tried to explain this philosophy to my JW parents: "No, I don't have the big answers as to why we're here and where we're going. And I don't have a glorious hope to offer you like a paradisaic afterlife. All that I've discovered thus far is that absolute truth may not be within our grasp but we can use logic, reason, and evidence to eliminate many things that are unmistakably false."

"Nine times out of ten, in the arts as in life, there is actually no truth to be discovered; there is only error to be exposed." – Mencken

MrQuik: That period was to be marked by Jehovah's absence from the affairs of man. Anyway, thats my take on things. What do you think?

I think you're on the right path - questioning - and that your views will continue to evolve if you keep an open mind. My thinking, when I was at the point you're at, was to start with a clean slate.... rip out old faith-based presuppositions and throw them away. All of them. I felt I should assume my faith-related data was corrupted from the point I learned about God and the Bible and then rebuild it brick by brick.

If you come back to a particular holy book, at least you can feel *more* confident that it's true since you did it without being persuaded that way as a naive child. That's just my take on things.

JGNAT: Any organized religion, by definition, will be a poor imitation, with pieces missing. Like the fable of the blind men and the elephant.

I like to think that those standing far off from the elephant - the nonreligious - can see clearly that it's just a big pachyderm being molested by blind religionists. Gotta love a good illustration.

Hey, maybe that idea is the answer to the problem BroDan had with this analogy last week.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

how bout those of you who do attend church? what makes you believe thats the one god attends too vs the other churches and even the other religions? if all you need is faith to follow a holy book how do you know you have the right holy book if all of them are based on supernatural events that have no evidence of claims.?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    MrQuik: That period was to be marked by Jehovah's absence from the affairs of man.

From your perspective, what would the world look like if god had always been absent from the affairs of man.... after he spawned life, for example?

• Twitch
    Twitch

@Psacramento

SDA = Seventh Day Adventist

• Este
    Este

The Almighty GOD originated the "Church" or "Kingdom of GOD" we attend if we choose that path, to Serve The Almighty GOD, why is it you ask such a confusing question?

E.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Which church does God attend? Probably the one that he purchased with his blood.

Which one was that again?

• Este
    Este

Which church does God attend? Probably the one that he purchased with his blood.

Which one was that again?

1 I saw a new heaven and a new earth. The first heaven and the first earth were completely gone. There was no longer any sea.

2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem. It was coming down out of heaven from God. It was prepared like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

3 I heard a loud voice from the throne. It said, "Now God makes his home with people. He will live with them. They will be his people. And God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or sadness. There will be no more crying or pain. Things are no longer the way they used to be."

The New Jerusalem is "The Church" so-to-speak which consists of Jesus Christ and the twelve apostles.......

E.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Oh, good, I thought you were going to say JaHeSHuacha somethingerother.

• tec
    tec

All those who make up the 'body of Christ', who belong to Him, are the Church. Not a building; not an organization... but those people who belong to Christ. God will make his home with them.

Tammy

• Twitch
    Twitch

And pursuant to the thread topic, what of those who believe in god but not jesus?

i.e. all other religions besides christianity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit