I Hate My Sister and Am Becoming "Seething and Hateful" Like She Says! Help!

by CrimsonBleu 29 Replies latest jw friends

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

This isn’t the first time I have posted about problems with one or more of my sisters. But I need resolve:

I am disassociated, and have been free for over 25 years. Both of my sisters are still in, and hate each other vehemently. The both tolerate me though, (isn't that against the 'rules?"( and as of last April, our elderly Mom has lived me with and I care for her in my home. My sister who lives closest (I will call her sister A) handles her financial matters, like her bills and banking and takes her to her doctor’s appointments (I can’t drive) and things like that, but mom lives with me and my hubby and grown sons. Mom is a delightful lady, always appreciative, and she is very happy here. Nursing homes are not an option, and we see to it Mom is well cared for. Mom was contributing 500.00 a month toward her expenses here up until recently…( me and hubby originally did not want Mom to pay anything to live with us, but sister A insisted, so we did it to help mom feel like she was contributing her part)

Sister A who handles Mom’s business affairs has done so since before I moved closer to help care for mom, so I never thought anything about that part of her helping to care for Mom. I can do it, but Sister A does it. I have come to realize there is an element of control that SA has in doing that exists…(please understand that she is a control freak and she likes ‘policing’ thing, especially me, my family and my life). It seems she watches every penny Mom spends, (watching to make sure I don’t take Moms money and spend it J ) and Mom loaned my sons some money (less than 100.00 total) recently between two of them, to make a trip outside of town for a short bit. Sis A saw that on Mom debit card and asked me about it, so I told her Mom loaned the boys some money. She went off on me, (what’s new?) and bitched an ranted about how my boys had no business taking any of Mom’s money and when she gets like this, she goes on, and on and on, backed by emotional rage and just off the wall!.

Now I know as well as you there are two sides to every story, and I will provide both—honestly and truthfully (under Gods sovereign watchful and knowing eye) that what I say is truth.

I have not a mean bone in my body. I don’t lie. I don’t gossip, cheat, steal, manipulate or coerce. I am not vengeful, nor hateful. And I have taken an incredible amount of verbal abuse from Sister A for a very long time. Sister A told Sister B that I am hateful, a liar, seething with hate and twofaced—sweet to your face and seething behind your back…. Siiiiigh. Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I am none of the above. Sister A did not want to me know she said those things about me to sister B, so she told sister B to stay away from me, to have nothing to do with me, that I was all the above stated. Then sister A told me the same thing about sister B…..and that sister B had said horrible things about me and my family and that I should have nothing to do with her and that she herself was cutting her off, blocking emails and phone. (She is pitting us against each other, a control thing). When I asked sister A just what sister B had said that was so horrible (I can take it, I am used to it for the most part), she told me “You don’t want to know! I can’t tell you cos you will be so mad at her and hate her like I do.” Then she went on to explain how she was blocking sister B and for good and would not want anything to do with her even if our Mom passed, she would not even come to the funeral if sister B was there. She made it sound like she was protecting me from the horrible things sister B had said….and that she herself could no longer deal with her.

No lie. She said that. I have it in my email records.

So something didn’t sit right with me and I emailed sister B and asked her what on Earth she could have possible done to upset sister A so bad? I explained that SA was livid, was blocking her email and wanted absolutely nothing to do with her, and I wanted to know why and what was said. I asked her to please send me the correspondence so I could know what’s going on, which she obligingly did. SB was as dumbstruck as I was, and said that for the life of her, she could not understand why SA was so hateful and spiteful…not exact words, but close. I have all that in my email records too.

So SB sends me the correspondence. There was the general exchange of daily issues, the mini updates and such, then there was what sister A said….it started out stating that she (SA) tried to stay away from me as much as possible, but had to see me on occasion when she came to visit Mom and take her to her appointments. (Not true…we went all sorts of places together. Yard sales, lunch, thrift shops, had lots of time spent together usually with Mom with us). She told SA that she had better watch out and have nothing to do with me because I was “hateful and sweet to your face and seething with hate behind your back”…..that my home is disgusting and ruined because I let my sons (she has no children) still live with me, ( my home is quite clean, open, comfortable and peaceful) and that I lied about some things to a brother at her hall. (that is another issue and story, but as God as my witness, I don’t lie. ). There was more, but I was shocked at what I read! I could barely believe my eye! Fighting tears, I struggled with this and what to do, how to feel, what to say…if anything. I wrote SB back and thanked her for sharing and told her I was once again under attack, just as she was and it will just have to pass.

SA did not want me to know the truth of what she had said to SB, so she told me that SB was the one who said all the horrible things, and now I know the truth. SA does not…not…know I know the truth, and I am holding it as my trump card on the day I say a final “good-bye and I never want to hear another peep outta you the rest of my life” speech.

Back to the present: Mom loaned my sons some money. SA saw it online, and asked what that was about. I told her. She was pissed. The barrage of assults began, and she made herself out to be the one who controls Mom’s money, the one who has all the say to what Mom does with her money, that the boys were taking advantage of her and using her and on on on it went. BTW, Mom is quite capable of thinking for herself!.

I went silent for a day, and answered tactfully and politely, never throwing verbal spears or intentionally fueling her fire.

It didn’t work.

I decided then and there (with agreement from my hubby) that if money was such an issue, then we will remove the issue. No more of Moms money each month. That way, SA can’t hang that over me how she is the one who allows us to have it! That infuriated her even more.,…but she calmed down and began to say things like: “well, the boys are her grandsons, and if she wants to give them money, that’s fine….” And that I (meaning me) deserve to have something for all that I do to take care of mom (she can’t, and admittedly so. She has no patience). I could see where this was going…she was losing her control thread and was trying to turn things around and make me change my mind. She also claimed she was Mom’s spokesman” and that she had every right to watch over Mom’s affairs…..and that if I had control of the money, I’d spend it all!!!! Siiiiigh. God, help me here…please! I tell you this: not once, ever, ever, ever, have I spent Mom’s money other than what was deemed rent or contribution money. And taking that was at her insistence.

I had made a comment about how I likened her to someone else in our lives prior who was very short tempered and quick to jump and accuse…and she didn’t understand what I meant, so I summed it up nicely by stating that this person was simply a bitch, and I was insinuating the same to SA. OH CRAP!!!!!! Here it comes!

I called her exactly what she is! I felt great about that, but it hit a nerve. I told her I would not call her one if she did not act like one, so stop acting like one!.....

Ok, this kinda banter goes on, and I shall spare you….My husband stepped in to confirm what I said about the money—we don’t need it, and he told her if she had a problem, to call him. (he is a trucker and gone all week and she never, never attacks me when he is at home) .

So here is my problem and this is where I need help please….

Last night, for the first time, I actually felt true hatred for my sister. She meddles, lies, gossips, twists things and all to make herself look good and important. She belittles me to make herself look good. The things she said to SB have all but burned a hole in my soul. The things she said about the hatefulness, the seething hate that I am two-faced about…sweet to your face and seething (I hate that word) behind your back---that just blows me away…BUT, I afound myself being JUST THAT LAST NIGHTY!!!!

I was literally seething with hatred for her, for her awful treatment toward me and lying and such. Attacking me. Mad at me cos I cut the purse strings and can take care of Mom on my own(except I cannot see well enough to drive leaglly)…. She even threatened to make Mom move in with her…(she cannot handle that) or to see if Mom would be happier in a nursing home! (Mom would die early in a nursing home). I was full of hate—just as she claimed I was to my SB last fall.

Being DA’d, I can’t go to the elders and tell them she is a troublemaker. Why would I want to do that? Cos it’s the only thing I can think of to cause her the kind of pain I feel!!!! Her husband is aware of how she is and has NO control over her… in fact, I doubt he knows half the crap she pulls. He is a nice man and he has been good to me, even apologizing for the times he did treat me bad. (he did that on SA’s bequest).

What do I do with the hate? How do I deal with a control freak sister who hates to see me happy, healthy and balanced? How do you stop someone from meddling and judging your every move. I can’t just walk away. Mom is the golden thread.

I know Jesus says forgive…I know God sees it all too, and I can just about guess some of His thoughts on the matter, but in the meantime, this bitch needs to drop back and leave me alone. If she wants to see Mom (she never comes to just visit, there has to be a reason like appointments) that’s fine. I really don’t want her in my house anymore, but can’t even do that cos of Mom.

I need her off my back.

Your insight and wisdom is welcome and appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I do not know what to say to help you. My mother-in-law did that to my SIL and BIL her son and daughter. I was newly married into the family and did not have a clue what was going on. Here she was a JW my BIL and SIL were not. There were her youngest children and very close to each other even moving next door to near each other. It made my MIL so jealous at how close they were. My MIL would not let up until she drove such a wedge between them that they will not speak to each other now.

I do not understand why people are like that, to me at least it seems JW's are the worest.

It hurts beyond belief as my MIL started in on my husband and I trying to drive a wedge between us. One time we went to the wedding of my SIL's daughter and were going to spend the day together just my husband and I in the city it was held in, I had been looking forward to it for over a month.

My MIL comes up with her husband and said my husband wanted to spend the day with them but he said I would not let him. I was so hurt. I was thinking why would he say that to them behind my back, if he wanted to spend the day with them then come to me and talk about it. But the way my MIL made it sound like I was a Bitch that my husband was afraid of and I was controlling things.

I went to my husband and said what is up. If you want to spend the day with them then go, forget what we had planned for the last month and just go, but to go behind my back and tell your mother that I would not let you go really hurts. My husband was blindsided and said what? I never talked to my mom about anything. I said yes you did she clearly with her husband said you really want to spend the day with them but I am not letting you.

My husband swears to this day his mom never talked to him about any of it. She was so convincing. We both went back to her and she sort of back peddled it was just beyond strange.

I just do not get it why she did it. I do not know really what her pay back was but to make others feel bad.

I do not know what to say but that they are very destructive people and to stay away. My MIL begged us to sell our house and use the money from our house to live on and take care of her until she died. When I asked what we would live on after the money from the house was gone she said we could figuer out something then. I just had to stay away for my one sake.

LITS

• Robdar
    Robdar

Like it or not, your sister is in charge of your mother's financial affairs. IMO, since your mother is probably on a fixed income, your sister did have a right to question why your grown sons were borrowing money from your mother. Don't they work? If they do, it would seem to me that they should have their own money socked away since they are living pretty cushy with you.

My parents have reached the age where they are trying to prepare for the time when they will no longer be able to care for themselves. When the time comes, I will be the one in charge of their finances and I would also be curious if I saw that one of my grown nephews had "borrowed" money from them. I would insist that it was paid back since parents will be living on a fixed income.

I have not a mean bone in my body. I don’t lie. I don’t gossip, cheat, steal, manipulate or coerce. I am not vengeful, nor hateful. And I have taken an incredible amount of verbal abuse from Sister A for a very long time.

I don't mean to be rude and you probably dont want to hear this, but it seems that you ARE gossiping about your sister to this forum. And since you said that you hate her and have thought of reporting her to the elders in order to hurt her that you are indeed vengeful and hateful. Perhaps it is time to take a long look in the mirror and get off your sister's case.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I feel for you Crimson, that sounds like nothing but stress to me.

People like your older sister seem to have a need to keep things stirred up and dramatic. They create problems where no problems exist and run back and forth telling one person what the other person said, and then go back to the first person and tells them what the other person said. They also tend to accuse people of what they themselves are guilty of. I use to know a couple of people like that, I was able to get away from the situation though.

You said SA doesn't unload on you when your hubby is home, any chance you can avoid her unless your hubby is home? I know it might be hard with him driving a truck, but is it possible for your own sanity?

• kimbo
    kimbo

go to the elders

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

she made herself out to be the one who controls Mom’s money, the one who has all the say to what Mom does with her money,

Unless your mother has been legally declared incompetent, she has authority over her own assets. She can rescind your sister's power of attourney any time. I think she should. My lawyer's advice to me was that no one person should have sole power of attourney. Maybe she should give P/A to all her kids jointly. Then you all will be forced to work together, even if you hate each other's guts. That would also ensure that no sister could "block" another out.

When I had power of attourney for my parents it was for their convenience, so that I could get things done when they couldn't. I didn't presume to tell them what they could or couldn't do with their money. I occasionally asked about large transactions, but that was to ensure that someone wasn't defrauding them. If they chose to buy gifts or give money to their grandkids or my sisters, that wasn't my business. If I didn't agree with what they did I kept my mouth shut, because at the end of the day it was their money, and they were mentally competent.

About the hate, it takes time to get over that, but hate is a very negative emotion that will hurt you more than them. I'm no expert on how to do it. I'm still a work-in-progress.

W

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Since Sister A is only at your house when she must take your mom to the doctor, I'm assuming your mother has heard the insults to you from Sister A. What you need to do is set it all on the table to your mom first. Encourage her to handle her own financial affairs for now and give power of attorney to someone she trusts only in the event that she is unable to do so. You should also check to see if there are any transportation programs for the elderly and disabled in your area, so you can fall back on that if Sister A decides to get revenge by refusing to take your mom to the doctor. If Sister A continues to take your mom to the doctor, be sure to have mom ready and waiting. Then scoot them out the door with as little conversation as possible. When they return from the appointments, be waiting at the door to get mom inside so as to limit contact with Sister A. If she asks why the change, tell her the truth.

If you limit association with this toxic and possibly mentally ill person, your hatred will subside on its own.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Robdar, only in her HEAD she is in charge of Mom's money. No POA. My mother is fully competent to handle her own affirs, but SA has had them in her hands since mom had a serious surgey before I moved here to help care for her. She could be taking money from Moms account for all I know...but I don't know for sure. And no way to find out.

I don't care if she does have responsibilty with it..it's not her place to dictate to me about something that did not even involve me. If she had a problem, she could have asked Mom herself instead of launching into an attack. .if Mom wants to give money to her grandsons for whatever reason, she should. One of them is a CNA and is a tantamount help when Mom is having surgeries, sick or needs any kind of help. Both work, but were low on cash. So what?

• tec
    tec

Honestly, I'm not sure that the 'seething' will go away until you can confront her about what she did and said between the three of you sisters. I also think the seething and anger and hatred might come from being hurt by what she did. It is of course up to you and what you think you can handle, but laying things all out on the table might be able to stop the resentment that sounds as if it is building within you, making you angrier and angrier every time you talk to her and say nothing. Then you're likely to explode with that anger and perhaps later regret it.

Since you are not a person who gets angry and vengeful, then you are less accustomed to this hatred and anger that you are feeling, and... well, as they say, 'its always the quiet ones'. Give yourself some time until the anger fades some (hopefully) and then calmly speak to her about what she did and how that made you feel.

She obviously has some deep issues also - things eating her up inside - so perhaps you can move past what she did, by understanding this sad truth about her. Your sister does not sound as if she can be a happy, adjusted person. A happy, adjusted, peaceful person does not manipulate and lie and try and pit people against one another. She does not sound as if she feels the same peace that you feel.

Tammy

• nugget
    nugget

your sister sounds unbalanced. I agree that she did have a right to question any unusual withdrawals from the account but if this is not a regular occurance and was a one off thing then she had no basis to make the accusation. In addition it is perfectly appropriate for your mum to make cash gifts or loans to family members if she chooses it is her money to do with as she wishes. If your sons start paying the money back even in small amounts then she will see that it is in fact an arrangement that has been made and agreed between you all.

I think it may be that you need to play your trump card a little sooner than anticipated. She is trying to forment trouble and cause problems in the family and this needs to be stamped on. I would pick a time when your husband is home so you have back up. You can say that you appreciate her care and vigilence in taking care of money matters for your mother. Remind her though that your mother is an adult not a child and should also be able to make decisions for herself.

On another matter you are upset and distressed by emails she has sent to your other sister and her comments to you and these are unacceptable. Show her the messages. What she has reported to you is untrue and what she has written is hurtful and libelous. This puts you in a difficult position since she was telling you to shun Sister B for saying these things as it turns out it was her Sister A who wrote these inflamatory comments so by rights you should shun her. Ask her if she can explain her motives for this obvious lapse in judgement. You are not hateful or two faced so feel it is important to get her to explain so that you can move on from here. Is there something going on in her life that has pushed her over the edge?

Letting it fester will not help you get past the hateful feelings. Not confronting her may also mean she carries on formenting trouble.

For your mother's sake this must stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit