by PYRAMIDSCHEME 17 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Not a problem.

Your relationship with God is not dependant on religious affliation

Your relationship with the CCoJW / WTB&TS is cancellable by either party

• JeffT
    JeffT

My "contract" is with God, not a book publishing company. When I do one of those (hopefully soon) it will be in writing and they'll give my a check.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    ...so in the end she said, "Remember. You signed on the dotted line."

Consider whether this arrangement meets basic expectations of honesty, decency and fairness. If that baptism really was a contract (I point I do not concede), then:

• How old were you at the time? Were you of legal to enter a contract (now 18 years in the US, and 21 years for many older members)?
    • Were all the terms of the contract fully disclosed in advance? Or were significant conditions and requirements not revealed until after you "signed on the dotted line"?
    • Was the contract entered voluntarily, as a genuine "meeting of the the minds"? Or was there pressure and cooercion to accept it?
    • Were you allowed, even encouraged, to do due diligence on the deal and consult your own independent expert? Or were you urged to trust only those offering the deal and to act quickly, "before it's too late"?
    • Was there a reasonable quid pro quo offered? Or was it a one-sided agreement, in favor of those making the offer?

If that baptism was a contract, it was the sort offered by a disreputable used-car lot looking for a fast score and a quicker getaway, not an honest dealer who is looking for a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship.

• wobble
    wobble

I got baptised so long ago, 1962, that I actually said nothing in my vows about an organization,

And, as dear Nugget said, they didn't ask me to sign a new contract every time they changed things, and that was quite a lot of times over the last 49 years or so !

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Can a WBT$ Screw be considered a Contract?..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The organization fraudulently purported themselves to be something they are not: Sole spokesmen for God.

Also, depending on when you were baptized, the questions have likely changed. My baptism there was no mention of 'organization'. I think it was a question about having 'repented' and another about dedicating myself to Jehovah. Nothing remotely about recognizing the GB as essential substitutes for Jesus and/or Jehovah.

Also, in my case, I was 13. Unfortunately, though, because I stayed with them into my 30's, I suspect that by my actions of staying in the org, I showed my acceptance of the conditions of my 'contract' through *all* the changes they made.

Until I got up and walked out of the Hall one day.

-Aude.

• Scully
    Scully

Your Dedication™ - if it was made prior to 1985 - was between you and Jehovah. The way it currently reads, the Dedication™ binds an acolyte to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

There was no "dotted line" upon which to sign. Ever.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In deal making/contracting, if one party changes an item, the other party is legally entitled to change something, also. For instance, if i sign a contract to build a house in a certain way at a certain place, if the address is changed, the schedule is changed, the materials are changed, then i am entitled to change the price or cancel the contract, totally. Seeing how the wt corp changes major elements of its teaching and organisational structure, in a legal sense, the adherent would have a legal right to also renegotiate, or cancel. However, the wt claims divinity, so it can claim that earthly laws don't apply.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit