Breach of contract

by PYRAMIDSCHEME 17 Replies latest jw friends

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

As my journey to leave the WBTS was in its infancy I was speaking to an old friend who had always been a surrogate mom to me. I had pioneered with both her sons (one of which is now an elder, the other is gay). I was addressing some of my concerns re: the WTS. She was having difficulty convincing me I was wrong, so in the end she said, "Remember. You signed on the dotted line." I was confused what she meant, at first, until I realized she was speaking of my dedication to Jehovah/WBTS. This comment surprised me as she had twice been DF'd for biblically ridding herself of an unhappy marital union.

That comment has come back to me over the months. Is she right? Am I in breach of contract? Tonight it occurred to me that I am not. This relationship that began with my baptism was a bi-lateral covenant: I would give Jehovah and his organization the best years of my life and they would provide a spiritual paradise followed by a literal one. I would give up all the things people in their youth long to do in return for the prospect of future fulfillment. Not only have I not experienced a literal paradise, I have not experienced a spiritual one. In fact, life has been pretty sucky overall. If JW's are the happiest on earth, why did I get so depressed going to meetings and trying to live up to the perfect requirements we are beset with every day?

No, I was not the first to break this contract. I only decided to withdraw before it was too late for me.

• llbh
    llbh

There was no contract at all, not in legal sense anyway; the person making the statement has little idea of law, they are doing the guilt trip bit, end of. She was using the idea of a contract possibly as a metaphor, come analogy, when doing such she needs to be careful that by doing such, the analogy does not bite her, which in this case it does.

If it is a contract and it has been fulfilled, where is the fulfillment?? What are the ramifications if either party wishes to withdraw, in your case death, according to them, umm does not sound to much of a contract ( pardon the pun) to me, more blatant coercion . I could go on, but really no need, you get the idea.

Look up contract on Wikipedia, which gives a basic idea of the Law of Contract.

David

• wobble
    wobble

If at any time in your life they have changed doctrine, then they have broken the contract by so doing, you "signed" to the old teaching, they were God's Channel then, teaching the "truth", if they change it, the contract is void.

Band On the Run and other legal brains may disagree,in a strict legal way, but morally that is true.

You did not leave the religion, it left you.

• Ding
    Ding

This WT "contract" view of baptism reminds me of C.S. Lewis' "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

The White Queen offers Edmund Turkish Delight.

As soon as he eats it, she owns him.

It also reminds me of that Darth Vader line in Star Wars: "I have you now..."

• heathen
    heathen

It's probably to do with the book publishing corp . You probably did take an oath to obedience to it .

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

In the first place, the contract to which you agreed was false.

• nugget
    nugget

No you are not in breach of contract they are. The organisation I mentally joined was not the organisation I left. They lied to me to get me to commit and then refused to allow me to question their behaviour.

At work if someone wishes to change your contract you have to be consulted and sign a new one. I have never been rebaptised or asked if it was ok to change doctrine so they can't use their new doctrines as a stick to beat me with.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If I went back and preached the same things I preached when I left..I would be DF`d..

The WBT$ no longer teaches,much of what we preached back then..

The entire WBT$/JW Cult is Apostate to their own past beliefs..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

JW's are the happiest people on earth... as long as they are taking these:

• VM44
    VM44

"It also reminds me of that Darth Vader line in Star Wars: 'I have you now...'"

Darth Vader also says this.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit