Blind Allegiance to G.B. supported by scripture?

by honorsthesis 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• honorsthesis
    honorsthesis

Hey everyone,

I have been getting in on going debates with brothers in the congregation about the role of the governing body. I feel that Jehovah would not want us to blindly follow a particular G.B. mandate if our bible-trained conscience says otherwise.

I presented the brothers with the following hypothetical:

Say the year is 1995. At that moment in time, as we know, the G.B. posited that the "generation" of 1914 would not entirely pass away before the end came. Now say your bible-trained conscience couldn't swallow that explaination. Say that, based on your personal relationship with Jehovah and study of the scriptures, you submit that the G.B.'s "generation" teaching is flat-out wrong and does not originate with God. Are we still required to follow that teaching even if we know that it is wrong.

The response is always:

Yes. Even if the G.B. is in error, we most always follow the G.B. because they are appointed and directed by Jesus. If they err, it will be corrected with time. (then they usually parallel the situation to scriptures in the Bible about how when Moses was appointed by God to lead the people to the promised land, he erred, but if those following had abandoned him because of Moses error and followed their own individual lead, they wouldn't have made it to the promised land)

Seeking your help:

Since many of you on here are well-versed and much more knowledgable about the Bible than I am, what are some good (and credible, not emtional outbursts of 'the WT is trash!') counter arguments to the above scenerio. I always like I John 4:1 which urges us to "test the expired expression".

Basically, what are some good scriptural references or WT references which encourage followers of God NOT to blindly follow.

Thanks, everyone!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Their own individual lead would not have compared to your Bible trained conscious and prayerful consideration of the subject.

The way the Israelites behaved was not in any way godly, while they thought pattern and way you reached your own conclusion most certainly was godly.

There is no comparison between the two: You were godly, whereas they were simply rebelious.

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Comparing the Isrealites to the first century christians and even modern day christians is like comparing apples and beef-ribs..not at all the same. While the Isrealites worshiped based on law and a visible presence of God, Christians go on faith alone, so comparing Moses to the JW governing body makes no sense what so ever. Moses was able to prove his link to God...So far The JW Governing Body has not done that.

• bobld
    bobld

Saul the pharisee said it was God's will to kill JESUS.Much like the wbts/gb/fds say we must follow them.Jesus set Saul(Paul) damn straight.Just like your EX.Saul now Paul realized it was a BIG mistake of following man(wbts/gb/fds).He Paul accepted J.C. as his personal Savior.See Col.2;8

B

You could use the example ,would it be wise to let a blind man lead you across a busy street.Oh ,wait the light for the blind man is getting brighter.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

I have a hard time believing you are a JW. Aren't you the young republican? And since when is debate with brothers about the GB condoned?

Get real.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

The whole heart of the matter is: what evidence is there the GB/FDS were appointed by Jesus in 1919? Everything else hangs on that. If they weren't appointed, why should we follow them when they're wrong?

• Alfred
    Alfred

Pyramid Scheme makes an excellent point.

Also, it's amazing to me how many brothers are conditioned to defend (and justify) the GB's long list of failed predictions, flip-flops and false teachings with this childish response about Moses' "error" which was nothing more than a momentary lapse of judgement.

Your response to those brothers should have been: "It is highly unlikely that any nation on earth would turn their backs on their leader because they made one or two mistakes here and there. So that analogy is completely incompatible with what continues to occur in the organization and should NOT be used to assist anyone who has lingering doubts. To do so would be irresponsible and misleading." That ought to shut them up or at least make them think a little more...

I'm sure there are better ways to respond... that's just what I would have said.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

You don't honestly think you are ever going to win a debate with them, do you? If so you are operating in the "Land of Illusion" my dear Honersthesis. If you want out just walk. It's so much more dignified than being "kicked out." Even if it is fun creating trouble.

• wobble
    wobble

Ask them for proof that the Rutherford Gang which has morphed since 1919 into the GB, was appointed by Jesus.

Do not suspend your critical thinking skills,do not take silly answers, for something as important as this, upon which hangs the life of 7 billion of earths inhabitants, there must be solid , testable proof.

If not, then why follow them , or even pay them any attention at all ?

Do not be fobbed off, a presentation of proof should be easy, tell them you want it , and soon.

This is vital , because the credibility, and the position or office, of the very Elders you are talking to depends on the truthfulness or not of the GB's claims.

• Curtains
    Curtains

honourstheisis, keep going. keep questioning. The scenario you describe is hypotheitcal as you clearly point out and I'm guessing that in your actual questioning of JWs you did not present you argument exactly as above. So taking it in that spirit, and even if you are a republican at heart, I do get the sense that you are not trying to win debates but just to get people thinking.

occupying a stance of resistance is a hugely dignified and ethical way of living. so best wishes to you.

However I would say that blind allegiance to authority is supported by scripture. The GB are being scriptural in this respect. But there are verses in the bible that can be used against the position of requiring blind allegiance to authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit