Song- "we're Jehovah's Witnesses" in honor of this weeks WT study

by stuckinamovement 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

We Thank you Jeehovah....................

Kiss the son lest God be angry and they perish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Do we have the truth accompanied by works that kind of truth preserves our souls alive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jeehovah is our refuge ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Firm and determined in this time of the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

another song I cant quite remember goes "life without PAIN at last" where the word pain was I used to sing my first wife's name.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I liked that old Memorial song Mary, but when I partook last year the new song was so dull it sealed any chance I had over going back the following year.

• wobble
    wobble

I never liked that song because "We are Jehovah's Witnesses, we speak out in fearlessness.."

I knew that I did not, I did not mind knocking on strangers doors too much, but I never wanted school friends, college buddies or people at my sports club etc to know I was a JW, so I felt guilty.

Now I am glad that a lot of those peole don't know about my past, I don't have to explain why I have left etc. as they don't know anything about it.

It just gets boring trying to explain to those who did know I was a JW, an experience they simply cannot understand, they have never been in a mind-controlling, high control cult, or had to sing the loaded language cult songs.

Did I say it was cult by the way? What a silly cult.

• sir82
    sir82

The new songs are, by and large, absolutely dreadful.

I wouldn't have thought anything would ever make me notalgic for the good ol' brown songbook, but....

Everything, from literature, to meeting parts, to assemblies, to field service, and now the songs....has gone literally from bad to worse.

The Governing Body has made turning the "barely tolerable" into the "depressingly soulless", into an art form.

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

Funny, I was sat with a guy the last time this song was sung. He is slightly deaf and so speaks a little loud. As they gave out the song number and as soon as he saw that it was "we're jehovah's...." he said to me (which can out as a mild shout) - "yet another song they ruined". The back three or four rows heared it, it really was a class moment!

• Quentin
    Quentin

I didn't even click on this theme at first, but now that song is going round and round in my head and I just can't get it out. I hate it when that happens.....Pontoon

Me too.....I'm not lifting up the jw...wtbts, but seems to me, from what I read here, they have become dead as a bucket of bolts. I've said many times the wtbts has always been a high control cult, yet at one time there was joy, life, fun to be had. I can't see HOW ANYONE can be a jw today. Boredom alone should be enough to send hoards of jw's screaming out the kh doors. Jeez, makes no sense....

• pontoon
    pontoon

When the new songbook began to be used I was already missing most of the meetings. In fact, I showed up one day and everyone was in the new songbook and I didn't even have one. BUT, I did catch a meeting part that told everyone how great and wonderful the new and re-worked tunes were. They're all crazy.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

So glad to see this thread - and know that I am not the only one who felt the new songs ARE DREADFUL. Did anyone notice they took out the best stanza of We Thank You Jehovah - the one that goes "We thank you, Jehovah for our brotherhood, Where we find companions both true and good, We thank you for giving us your active force, your Spirit which helps us to hold our course."

Maybe somebody had to choke on those words - maybe the great crowd wasn't supposed to be born of the Spirit or have His active force????????? I know they tried to just cut everything down to three stanza's but why cut out this verse that actually had some feeling in it -

And I have analyzed and re-examined the music again and again trying to figure out what it is exactly that is wrong - yes they tried to cut the range of notes covered which was probably a good idea but now it gives me the feeling of "mezmerization" - not even the beauty of an old fashion chanting of the dark ages - but there is just something spiritually wrong - and I can't put my finger on it - almost like they are just trying to get everybody to say ohmmmmm together and nothing else. Even kind of nasal like too.

• snakeface
    snakeface

saltyoldlady, I agree with you. I am a muscian and I loved the songs in the brown book. When sung correctly (which unfortunately was difficult) they had feeling and passion. As soon as I got the new songbook and started looking thru it (and playing them on my piano in order to learn them) my first thought was that all the new ones were written by one person. I thought of the scripture where Jesus said that his sheep flee from the voice of a stranger. It was as if the organization abruptly got taken over by some other religion. The songs are more like chants. Lifeless, shallow, without much feeling. I felt "stumbled".

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Haha... Snakeface! I know exactly what you mean!

The brown book was AWESOME!!! Some brilliantly emotional songs! I play the flute and when we receieved the new book i couldnt wait to go through them all! I listened along and read the music as i went! Each page i turned i became more and more upset! :( Despite the odd new song which i do like, the majority of new songs are VERY depressing and not very good at all. Likewise, the older songs which they have kept, the changes have spoiled them, and also the new piano accompaniments at the meetings no longer have any feeling! It appears to me, the pianist (computer program?) playing the piano has the same level of emotion as a bar of soap! BORING!!!

Anyway, i still love playing the old songs! The new ones suck quite a lot! It was like yesterday in the WT, about showing our appreciation for the new songs! I love singing, i love music and i love Jehovah, but i cant show appreciation for music that i REALY DO NOT appreciate!

Tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit