BOOK DONATION CAMPAIGN ANYBODY?

by Trotafox 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Scorpion:

Interesting. An ad in the paper, huh? It might be worth putting the pressure on the Library as to WHY they allow it to happen in the first place. I thought they were supposed to collect late fees, etc.? If not, you mean the Library just lets them walk off with books?

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• larc
    larc

A couple of thoughts,

Some libraries will have you fill out a request form for books and they will buy them, so that you may not have to bear the expense. You might warn the library about the theft problem, so they can keep it at the reserve desk, for library use only.

On a side note: I have an old book by Samuel Clemmins (Mark Twain), entitled "Christian Science", a brilliant satire of the religion. It is rare, because the Christian Scientist's destroyed it, much like the Witnesses destroy books today.

• Wren
    Wren

For the developed world, book burning/destruction is so "dark ages". I had no idea this much of it goes on today.

• SexyTeen
    SexyTeen

I searched the Dallas Library for "Crisis of Conscience" and I found it. http://www.dallaslibrary.org

The problem is that it says that it is on "route".

I live in the suburbs about 35 miles from that library and have searched for the book in those libraries, but they don't have it.

Could someone donate a book to the Euless, TX libary?

• Celia
    Celia

I donated Crisis of Conscience to my local library in 1999. I believe it was the 3rd edition, first printing. I own Coc, 3rd editon, second printing and I believe a third printing is on the way.
    That book is still on the shelf of the library, and it has been taken out and read.
    I also donated “Apocalypse Delayed” by Penton, but the librarian decided not to put it on the shelves…. When I asked why, she said something about other sects wanting to put their propaganda in the library and they had to refuse. I told her that this was not propaganda for the JWs, but the true history of the movement… etc… If they didn't want it, I would donate it to another library.... Well, apparently they lost the book inbetween, I was very upset, it is a $23 book…

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Trotafox,

It is actually very easy to get books out of the library, at least in my town, without checking them out. I assume the JWs once they knew the book was there, stole it. I have ran several ads in the local papers and a few of the ads has made mention of CofC displayed for reading in the public library.

Scorpion

• anewperson
    anewperson

Trotafox, please go ahead and post here tracts such as you mention. I'll see if I can't put up a couple too, say one in English and one in Spanish. That way those interested can pick and choose from our combined effort here whatever fits their own area's needs. So far as mine goes, they'll all be public domain. As to how to make a booklet you just type up enough material then talk to someone at a place like Kinko's, Office Max and the like who will do the rest for you and cheap.

And to all who love Crisis of Conscience. Since it has been stolen from so many libraries why don't one of you summarize about 7 of the main most revealing things Ray says in it, put them into a tract/leaflet? In it tell the source and refer readers straight to amazon.com I'm at [email protected]

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Anewperson: Posting exerpts from C of C for tracts is a wonderful idea. I'm not very good at writing original material and that would be great if Ray Franz is permitting copying his material (?). When the tracts are finished, we can post "Ex-JW Tract No. ____ Now Ready". Let's get this EX-JW PRESS ROLLING! As you said, if this trend gets picked up by people on this Board who are willing to donate translation time to what we post, we can get tracts distributed in all countries. Maybe even be more successful at it than the Borg!

If I have time this weekend, I will try to create a two-sided tract (2 tracts per page) that can be run front to back double sided and cut in half to make 2 tracts. If someone knows a better program than WORD 2000 or WordPerfect 9 to do this, please let me know. I'm not great at graphics but I type 100 wpm. It won't be fancy but it's better than watching C of C disappear off Library shelves because of JW thieves.

Celtic and Celia: In between errands this weekend, I'll try to stop at the Library and check out their policies regarding overdue books. I'm still convinced that if a Library has their act together in this regard, that it would be beneficial to donate ex-JW books. Spread the donation out over a period of time. Heck, I'll even buy a few books myself to donate but will also check out Larc's recommendation regarding requesting the Library to purchase. Sounds good.

I'm also still interested in checking out what criteria bookstores use to select titles that they stock.

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• anewperson
    anewperson

It should be no problem to have short quotes as per the "fair usage" provisions of copyright law provided your material is not out to make a profit or detract from the earnings of the copyright holder. However to be 100% sure with peace of mind write Ray and ask his permission to include short quotes from his material in a not-for-profit leaflet/brochure to be posted here and otherwise used not-for-profit. But if he helps or not won't matter because we can do our own stuff up. Here's a tiny tract/leaflet you can use as is or make changes to, translate etc. It's 100% public domain:

SHOCKING FACTS TOLD OUT OF LOVE TO THE CONGREGATION & PUBLIC: The Watchtower Society (WTS) over Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) cover up child molestation & let pedophiles go door-to-door http://www.silentlambs.org. They say God opposes the UN but until exposed in 1991-2001 were a formal UN associate not just to use the UN's library as proved if you read the Nov 22, 1998 Awake magazine closely. ( http://www.freeminds.org) 1 Cor 6:1 only says judge "trivial" things as in business, James 2:4-13 calls judging harmful, & Paul says the "majority" (2 Cor 2:6) followed his advice to shun a wrongdoer, meaning a minority chose not to & yet he nowhere condemns them, yet the WTS has formal Judicial Committes destroying families via numerous formal renderings of disfellowshipment (shunning).

Acts 15:20 says abstain from blood but 1 Sam 14:32-5 says Saul's army ate unBLED meat to not starve & no verses show God not forgiving them. Christ says God also forgave David's eating temple holy bread & that God wants Mercy Not Sacrifice. (Mt 12) The May 22, 1994 Awake tells of 26 JW kids who died without transfusions, & by common sense in massive bleeding as in car wrecks blood expanders won't save lives http://www.ajwrb.org. An estimated 3 JWs die daily earthwide from the WTS’s unscriptural policy! (Blood On The Altar by David Reed) Why must anyone's children, grand-children etc be endangered or destroyed so easily? JWs can form independent groups independent from the WTS but united by LOVE ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian), join another group or decrease donations & other support. Please make & use copies of this for years ahead. It was written out of love for our JW families & friends as well as those of the general public - yours too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit