BOOK DONATION CAMPAIGN ANYBODY?

by Trotafox 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

I mentioned this topic on Sleepy's thread but I'd like to have some input please from others on this Board.

What I want to know is this: There are so many books available on the Net that have been written by other ex-JW's who have been there and know the truth about the Borg (other than RF). What criteria do stores like Barnes & Noble and Christian books stores use to stock particular book titles? Why can't some of these Net books make it to the Libary and public book store shelves? To use the old Judge's phrase: ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE. Right now, there are few books, if any, on the public shelves and the average person has no idea how dangerously manipulate the WT is until it's too. [>:(]

Obviously, Libraries take book donations. How about all of us taking one book we have in our personal Library regarding the Borg and donating it to our local Library. YES? I assume that the Library would be aware of overdue books and not allow them to disappear. Yes?

Any bookstore owners or librarians reading this?

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• terafera
    terafera

I think it's a great idea. I'm on my way now to go pick of CofC.. I ordered it 2 weeks ago from Barnes and Noble. They say its hard to get a copy and they dont publish it anymore.. that is discouraging.

I think it should be easier to get access to stories about people that lived through the Watchtower experience.

• anewperson
    anewperson

What would be good would be if Ray Franz or anyone including You would write a small booklet and put it into the public domain. We'd printout copies, make photocopies of them as small booklets and give them away to the libraries. I will get some already existing things like that and post them on this board. Maybe you could too? Or pursue your Barnes & Nobles route, though I think that would take much much longer to effect.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Thinking that the library route is a very good one, very good one indeed, hadn't thought of that before. I'm going to make some enquiries and will get back to you on this one, in the meantime please feel welcome to email me.

Kindest regards

Mark
    [email protected]
    Community Action Network UK
    * http://www.can-online.org.uk

• anewperson
    anewperson

Hi, this is non-denominational, i.e. promotes no particular church but is intended to help persons regardless of beliefs. Please make copies of this to give away to LIBRARIES, leave about etc. It can help free some who are now trapped by cults and keep others from ever becoming trapped - possibly your own loved ones! It's short enough to be printable as a small flyer, leaflet or booklet. Feel free to add other materials such as songs if you want to give it more bulk.

THE REAL TRUTH: Shunning, Blood, Holidays, Trinity, Cross, Etc

By Charles B Hutson, Troy Brown, Rita LeMans

Published on the internet at jehovahs-witness.com

Uncopyrighted For The Public Domain 2002

Please make give copies as gifts to other persons and libraries)

About 2,000 years ago Jesus Christ said families would be divided by some members doing good and others doing wrongs, but he never ever advocated the destruction of families. 1 Corinthians 6:1 only says judge "trivial" things as in business, James 2:4-13 calls judging harmful, and Paul says the "majority" (2 Cor 2:6), followed his advice to shun a wrongdoer, meaning a minority chose not to & yet he nowhere condemns them. So we ask why some groups as diverse as the Amish and Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) actually use formal Judicial Committes which destroy families via their numerous formal renderings of disfellowshipment (shunning)? Isn't that a major tragedy?

Now here's another tragedy. Acts 15:20 says abstain from blood but 1 Samuel 14:32-5 says Saul's army ate unBLED meat to not starve and no verses show God not forgiving them; further, Christ (Mat 7) says God also forgave David's eating temple holy bread and that God wants Mercy Not Sacrifice. So how saddening it is when we note that the May 22, 1994 Awake tells of 26 Witness kids who died without transfusions, and by common sense in massive bleeding as in car wrecks blood expanders won't save lives (ajwrb.org). Did you know that an estimated 3 JWs die daily earthwide from the unscriptural policy promoted by the Watchtower Society (read Blood On The Altar) and some other doctrinally very different groups have also started going by it! How sad if we, our children, or grandchildren were to also be endangered by a misunderstanding of the scriptures?

Are most holidays really pagan as some church groups claim? What's the real truth? Let's start with Christmas. Some groups opposed to it say Christ was likely born about Oct 2; so why do those opponents, in particular the lead teachers in their groups, seem to ignore that he was therefore conceived 9 months earlier by Mary and God's own Spirit? Which, counting backwards therefore points right back to late December for his conception, that is his birth by God's Holy Spirit? And why the common insistence that Christmas is from the pagan Saturnalia since John 10:22-3 says Christ also celebrated the Festival of Dedication or Lights, i.e. Hannukah, which first began Dec 25 but has varied since because lunar-based? And Santa is from Nicholas, a Christian, not a wizard or pagan god. Why call "compromises" holidays that attacked and replaced paganisms? Doesn’t Colossians 2:16 say let none judge you about a holiday.

And the truth about birthdays is that Job 1:3, 3:1 and 3:3 show Job's kids celebrated birthdays if you read all 3 verses to see that they are speaking of "day" as the day of birth. And for that matter, didn't angels celebrate Christ's birth? There is no Biblically sound reason to deny children and families the joy of birthday celebrations, so why ever do so?

Some groups also claim incorrectly that the the view of God called Trinity is where one believes that Father, Son, Spirit are one "identical" person; and yet the real truth is that most churches accept it as three totally different entities or persons forming one "Godship" (Ro 1:20), Son and Spirit sharing inherited age, power, knowledge from God just as an acorn may be only 1 day old but also have its genes inheriting its ancestral oak tree's age, capacity & information. Whether Trinitarian, Unitarian or other, is it not true that Christ emphasized the narrow road which is The Way of neighborly LOVE for God and our fellow equally imperfect humans rather than the impossibility of sameness in all beliefs?

The leaders of some groups have called the cross symbol a repugnant murder weapon. Well, what's the real truth about that? In fact human remains and inscriptions show archaeologists that the item which slew Christ, often called "stauros" in Greek, indeed was a cross not a stake, Dr F Zugibe's research shows suffocation would be in minutes if on a stake but in hours if on outstretched cross per Luke 23:44 and Matthew 27:45-6. (more on http://freeminds.org) The truth is that Paul said boast in it as a symbol of resurrection over death. (Ga 6:14, 1Cor 1:17-18)

A really really hard truth is that some groups have Babylonishly hidden secrets such as the fact that some of their clergy - whether called priests or elders etc - have been guilty of pedophilia, and even tried to cover this up. For example this has been documented regarding some Catholic priests, but it has also come to light among the Watchtower Society as reported by numerous newspaper articles in 2001-2, Christianity Today, on http://www.silentlambs.org, observer.org etc. Television journalist investigators for Dateline NBC have aired such horrible tragedies for various churches.

No, this does not mean that all churches, whether Catholic, Protestant or others are bad, but it does mean that you have to be careful, especially when dealing with groups where image is everything. As said, in bad groups or even good groups badly in need of reform, the clergy are instructed to keep negative things "in-house" to protect their mother organization or headquarters staff and officials. That was also true for example of the PTL where Jimmy Baker's doings were hidden so long, in the Armageddon doomsday cult of Jim Jones which caused the suicide deaths of nearly 1,000 followers etc.

Sometimes the real positions of church leaders also get hidden like when Watchtower heads taught that God does not like the United Nations and yet from 1991-2001 associated with the UN without most members being aware of it. After this was exposed they claimed the liason was simply to get a library card for research even though anyone who read their Nov 22, 1998 Awake magazine closely could and can see otherwise. Also see http://www.thetablet.co.uk/cgi-bin/archive_db.cgi?tablet-00577, freeminds.org, observer.org

So what can Survivors Of Abusive Religion do who have been shunned, disfellowshipped, excommunicated, expelled, kicked out or voluntarily quit a particular church? Sometimes they are told they will have "nowhere to go" and they are also told to note that Paul said there's only "one faith," meaning that unless they beg to be allowed back, they are doomed to some bad fate such as everlasting hellfire or Armageddon.

In fact sincere Christians can try a different church, start their own, go by the idea that true Christianity is all the true Christians over the centuries regardless of their name groups, and look not for somewhere else to go to, as when a fish jumps from a frying pan into a fire, but instead go on to the one person we can all go to, namely Christ, the Son of God whether you choose to call God Almighty by God, the Lord, Jah, Jehovah, Yah, Yahweh or some other title or name. If fact Christian freedom means not just freedom from wrong ideas or conduct but freedom to believe what really is true and things that are good.

• belbab
    belbab

I donated RaY Franz's book, In Search of Christian Freedom, to the
    Vancouver Island Public Library system. It didn't last there one month. I would look it up in the index to see how many people were reading it. It became lost in less than a month. I suspect some JW stole it and destroyed it.

I learnt from another exJw near Vancouver, and he said the same thing happened to Ray's books there also.

Gary Botting told me that after he wrote The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses, he went to the University book store where he was teaching and asked the owner how his book was doing. He replied I have good news and bad news. What is the good news? he was asked. All your books have been purchased, was the answer. What is the bad news? Your mother, [active JW] bought them and took them away and burned them.

belbab

• anewperson
    anewperson

There are similar reports that Ray's books were stolen and destroyed in other states. That's another reason I say give small inexpensive booklets to libraries. In fact give each library several of the small items so that if one gets stolen or destroyed there are backups.

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

Very interesting.

I think I now know why when I do a search on my county library system, NO books that have any negative information on the WTS are in the WHOLE system. There are at least a dozen branches. The ONLY book that shows up on the search is the Proclaimers book. Of course, it is located at my local branch.

It makes me want to donate a C of C book just to see what happens.

Andee

You can take a whore to water, but you can't make her think-Dorothy Parker

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Sorry everyone. Got wrapped up in errands tonight. Thanks for the comments. Looks like there might be a problem with the bookstores since current JW's can buy them up as Belbab said. Looks like it's a "War of the books".

It's also true that JW's can check out the books at the Libary and destroy them. The Library just stands there and lets them do it? You know what? TURNABOUT'S FAIR PLAY My, my, my...that Proclaimers book from the Library would look good in my trash can or stuffed in my closet. Anywhere but on the Library shelf. One little book at a time.

Anewperson: What type of booklet are you talking about? I take it you mean use this forum to collect "snippets" that could be typed, reduced, and stapled? I have no idea how to book a booklet (hardbound anyway) together.

Actually, after hearing about all the sabotaging of the ex-JW books in Libraries and bookstores, perhaps we should beat them at their own game with tracts and go (OMG...should I say it?) door-to-door? Silentlambs have tracts but they are quite large. Something smaller, like the WT tract size, would be better. And leave them everywhere we go. Have a bunch on us at all times and drop them in stores, etc. in every nook and cranny we can find. Slip them inside popular books at the Library??? That would be great.

We can gather the material on here, copy it to our hard drives, and print it out. Keeping it simple would be better rather than getting into complicated formatting, graphics, etc. Just one graphic perhaps on the front cover to catch their attention. I have both WORD 2000 and WordPerfect 9 on my computer. I'd like to work on something this weekend. Keep it simple and keep it moving. What do you think?

THE EX-JW PRESSES ARE ON THE ROLL!

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

I have donated several copies of CofC to the local library, I started doing this in 1990. The reason for the continued donations was because they were continually being stolen.

I finally put an ad in our local papers sound off column explaining that this particular book has been lifted more than once from the library and if the person or persons responsible would please bring the books back. Ever since the ad was run, CofC has remained in the library. I was at the library last week.

Scorpion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit