Wow, This is Getting Tougher!

by Franklin Massey 61 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

As I see it, you have two broad choices - containing multiple potential decisions within:

1- Continue to be a hypocrite, playing a good a faithful Jdub, believer, accepter of what is issued from the GB throne.

2- Don't.

Choosing column #1 : To remain in a position of authority within a religion that you do not accept is clearly choice number one, no matter which direction you choose within the various options.

Choosing column #2 : Man-up. Take the heat, pressure. Live with the result. Be true to you.

Everything else is a ruse, playing with others and your own situation.

Jeff

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Hey Franklin, your post is bringing back bad recent memories!

You describe a lot of the feelings and situation I went through a couple of years ago. We were in a very small cong., and had been asked to go there because they really needed help. Sometimes I would and up doing most of the parts that required a "brother" on the school and service meeting. Like you described, everyone noticed if we weren't there.

It got to be harder and harder to do public talks (like you said, being hack stuff out of talks to make them only 30min. did help a bit). Other parts, I had a little more control over, like instruction and bible highlights, they were a little easier. What started to become very difficult was reading the Watchtower! Especially articles with GB worship etc., I literally choked through some these passages.

Conducting bookstudies was ok, because I could control the direction that things went.

Eventually, I just couldn't do it anymore. We went back to the cong that we had been in. That made it a little easier, but my "condition" kept getting worse. After about a year and a half I resigned as an "elder", not specifically for that reason but it contributed. This eased things up but by now I was seriously stressed just having to sit there and listen to untruth. Interestingly, reading directly from the bible was the only thing that didn't bother me.

I really think I was headed for a heart attack, because of the extreme feelings that I was having. This process took about four years or so, going from being completely comfortable and relaxed on stage (even at assemblies), to not being able to even sit in the audience.

I'm so happy not to have to do any of that anymore. I really wonder if I could have survived another six months of that.

At first I was frustrated because I couldn't control those feelings and fake it any longer. My conscience just wouldn't let me anymore.

I'm so glad not to be contributing to and living the lie!

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I've tried to subtly use liberal terminology and leave certain key JW scriptures undefined but my experience has been that people don't seem to pay much attention. They know what they know and worship on repeat mode. I think the active JWs on this board pay way more attention at the meetings than the average JW.

Hey Billy, maybe I could just get removed. The decision was made for me. Kidding. I don't want to feed the rumor mill.

stuckin, MY WIFE IS PREGNANT?!!! !?!? Thanks for breaking the news before she could. You're fast. Haha! Did I say something that sounded like my wife is pregnant or were you suggesting I knock her up as an excuse to step down?

Jeff, you said something that really cut through the fog for me. Everything else is a ruse, playing with others and your own situation. I'm on here asking for suggestions on how to essentially trick people. That's kind of messed up. I try to brand it as some honorable endeavor but if I'm living a lie, then I'm also bringing other people into my lie with me.

Accepting real truth was difficult for me at first but once I faced it head on, I felt better about it. Life took on new and exciting meaning for me. Maybe it will be the same thing if I step down.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. That comment from Jeff though, wow. I'm not promising anything but I have a lot to think about.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Thanks for sharing, Q. I'm having a rough time sitting in the crowd too.

I had a good friend, very zealous, very hard-working, who one day just up and stopped being a JW. He had priveleges, worked in assembly and convention departments, set a fine example for other young brothers and was about to be appointed an MS. I couldn't believe that he could just quit with no notice. I asked him why he quit.

He said, "I had to face the fact that there is more truth out there. We don't own truth and I can be party to the claim that we do."

I asked, "But you were doing so well. So many priveleges. So active. You study more than any one else I know."

He said, "I was just going through the motions, hoping these feelings would go away. But I couldn't run away from the truth."

Still gives me chills when I think about out. I couldn't relate then. I just thought he wanted to be "worldly." Now, I undertstand.

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

Franklin,

Reading your posts, you and I seem to living the same life...... I wonder how many like us there are here (I know of MLE..) - my conclusion is that this is the life Ive got - its not all bad by any means, "thinking" about things has made it harder for sure - but I am by no means convinced that the general public at large enjoy a happier and more fulfilled life than I do..if that sounds defeatist, well, there you go....

CC

• james_woods
    james_woods

It could be worse, Franklin - I had to give the memorial when I no longer believed in the literal 144,000.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Franklin Massey = Any advice from Brothers who have been in a similar situation? Practical advice, please. I know what some will say, "Step down and fade out." That is not something I'm going to do right now.

That's me out of this thread.

I was in this situation and in the end the strain was too much I quit. While I was able I'd just stick to facts and put over JW doctrine as 'the watchtower says: blah blah...'

That way I wasn't saying it as if I believed it................that's just me.............a stubborn geezer!

• clarity
    clarity

Franklin,

"I want to say, "I have doubts. Maybe you do too. It's OK. God isn't going to destroy us for it. Let's start talking about this stuff together."

I think your answer lies in these words.

You're a good man Franklin

clarity

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

James_woods

I might be able to trump that - how about delivering the part about trusting the FDS at the recent Elders School - why oh why oh why.......

CC

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

I think its soo much harder for a brother to fade. Just dont give up guys, because the grass really is greener on the other side.. I woke up to the real Truth October 2009 along with my hubby (hairyhegoat) and our 4 junior to teen children. It is worth it in the end. I am soo glad that were no longer on that Merry Go Round. We just couldnt see how on earth we could get out but we did and never been happier....

Big Hugs because your gonna need it :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit