Wow, This is Getting Tougher!

by Franklin Massey 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I'm having a really hard time giving my meeting parts. I had a Service Meeting part this week and I could hardly get through it. I am no longer convinced of some of the things JWs teach and so I try to either eliminate those things from my parts, or reword them so that I'm not speaking about that which I do not personally believe. The problem arises when I get too comfortable on the stage. I almost slipped and gave what would have been a controversial personal opinion. When I tried to correct myself, I reverted back to uber-JW speak and started on about doctrine and promises that I don't personally believe in.

Prayers are getting tougher too.

I practice in advance but it keeps happening.

Any advice from Brothers who have been in a similar situation? Practical advice, please. I know what some will say, "Step down and fade out." That is not something I'm going to do right now.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Focus on topics that you can teach that do not violate your conscience. Unless you are a complete atheist, you can create a part that avoids the things that bother you, and the things that you can say without reserve.

For example, focus your parts on not being judgemental to others. Give parts that focus on love. Give parts that focus on Jesus. Remember that chances are, there are people that feel JUST like you do in the audience.

If there is a specific talk that you feel like you can't give, make up an excuse and get out of it. I think the important thing is that if you are not ready to step down and fade, then also focus on NOT violating your own conscience.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hi, Franklin, I realize this isn't really an option for you but I was just curious as to what prevents you from stepping down?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Either your a true and faithful believer of this faith or your not.

How is anyone suppose to make a suggestion, since no one knows what you believe and what you don't.

I know as well as everyone here how hard it is to fade out of this religion, but as you can see people do it

carefully with gradual pose.

• clarity
    clarity

Franklin,

I know you want more than just sympathy here, but just have to say with the 'fade thing' ... so much easier to do as a woman. When you are a "star" everybody is watching.

I often wonder about brothers who move to Mexico etc, whether they are really trying to escape the lime light!

Maybe just keep it your mind to be the most helpful, kind & understanding elder then when you do leave, others will follow.

take care

clarity

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I can relate, Franklin. We thankfully have a sufficient amount of brothers in our congregation, that its not necessary that I'm on the stage every week. So that decreases the chances of me slipping up and blowing my cover. If I was in one of those congregations where I had to be on the stage every week, sometimes two or three times on the same night, I would have lost it. Definate meltdown, foaming at the mouth on the platform while rambling incoherently. Its hard enough being a double agent, with not much to do!!

When I pray nowadays, I NEVER, and I mean NEVER, mention anything about the so called faithful and discreet slave. Its nonsensible to pray for an illustration. When brothers pray and ask for Jehovah to bless the faithful and discreet slave, they're essentially asking Jah to bless an illustration. That makes absolutely no sense. It's like asking Jah to bless the pit that the lost sheep fell in. Thats right, the pit. It's an illustration, nothing more, nothing less. Brothers don't even realize what they're saying. They're just repeating the prayers they've heard other imperfect men repeat for the past thirty years or so.

One thing that I will say is a blessing, is the talks being shortened to thirty minutes. So if you had an outline for something that was originally 45 minutes long, and there's significant things within that outline that offend your conscience, you can get bypass that part nowadays.

As far as Service Meeting parts, what I have trouble with is standing up there faking emotions that are nonexistant within my heart. "Aren't we excited about the ministry?!?!" Several delusional heads nodding at me, and I'm smiling ear to ear. Meanwhile in my heart, I'm thinking to myself how much I hate field service. So lately, I've been thinking about how I can do these parts without compromising my own beliefs. Instead of saying, "Aren't the meetings refreshing?", I say, "Aren't we refreshed after the meetings?" Cuz see, when I say "after the meeting", I'm not lying because I'm generally ecstatic that the meeting is over. You can do that with Service Meeting parts too. Instead of saying, "isn't field service invigorating?", you can say, "don't you feel good after you're done with field service?" You do feel good "after" field service, cuz you hated every second of it from the time you got up in the morning, to meeting with the group, to knocking on the doors of an apathetic neighborhood.

Hang in there bruh!

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Clarity's post made me wonder if switching to another local congregation might be an option for you. You could always refuse the new appointment.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Misery!!!

Sometimes, I just love you.

Sometimes.

When you can, google Jacobites.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Misery, this sprang to my mind while reading your post:

Jacobites would toast the king at official dinners whilst passing their wine glass over water bowls to signify the Stuart king in exile, "over the water." This is why water bowls were banned at royal banquets until 1903.

You are something else.

Syl

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Have a 'wardrobe malfunction' on stage, I promise you will not have to get up there again for a long long long time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit