Have you ever thought about, what is nothing? If you did, did it make your head hurt?

by miseryloveselders 29 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

> The most reasonable conclusion, IMO, is that there MUST be a higher intelligence.
    > I think that is less a leap of faith than saying that "nothing caused something".

saying there must be a higher intelligence is pretty much the same leap as saying nothing caused something.

the only reasonable answer is, that nobody knows what happened at the beginning of your universe, in case it had a beginning that is. nobody knows what was before. maybe there was another universe. maybe the universe always existed in a different form. but one thing we can know for sure: the universe was not created by some highly intelligent being.
  • VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

It's enough to make your head explode...

V665V665

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There is no such thing as nothing. If you have nothing, you have something. In nothingness there is space and space is something. It would be black, not white. White is the mixture of every color of light in the spectrum. You must have light to see white or light to see individual colors. Black is the absence of color. Black is the absence of light because light is color. So with no light, there can be no white. But black being the absence of color... and space is filled with nothing but space ....and space, even if empty is still something. You simply can't have nothing. Black, unlighted, empty space is a concept. And a concept is something. The next time a car skids to a halt with one foot of space in between you and the car, ask yourself if that one foot space is nothing. And it is: nothing short of a miracle.

See? I've thought this over before.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

makes my head hurt, when considering these sort of questions.

What's at the edge of the universe? what's on the other side of the edge of the universe?

actually some scientists theories that our universe may be in a black hole belonging to a much larger universe!

my head is hurting

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I watched a show recently where it suggested the universe is shaped like a donut. Thus, it's possible to go forward or back in time and land back where you started.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I want to go back to 1965 and give my kid self some pointers. I'd stick around to enjoy the 60's for a while. Fun times for me.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

I have and it did, at first, but I'm not one to give up on things, so, from time to tim I persist in thinking along such lines. It is difficult to imagine nothing as we and everything around us seem to be composed of quite the opposite...something. Nothing could not be constructed of matter, a more general term for the something that everything is made up of, unless of course it is nothing, but then it wouldn't be something.

Shying away for a bit on what could become a very seemingly circular monologue if allowed to be carried on, I will give you some of my conclusions. I believe in balance and that all things are seeking it, be they conciously aware of it or not. Even down to the atomic level where we could talk about electron shells and such. Even if an atom has a shell filled to its max, however, the atom is still made of matter and is, then, something. What though, if a piece of matter meets its antimatter? What if one meets negative one? What if yin meets yang? Nothing, the ultimate and perfect balance, would, I think, be total nonexistance. Not the most cheerful interpretation, but it's what I've come up with so far.

• I quit!
    I quit!

From the Tao Te Ching

The Tao is called the Great Mother:
    empty yet inexhaustible,
    it gives birth to infinite worlds.

We join spokes together in a wheel,
    but it is the center hole
    that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot,
    but it is the emptiness inside
    that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
    but it is the inner space
    that makes it livable.

We work with being,
    but non-being is what we use.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    I watched a show recently where it suggested the universe is shaped like a donut

That would make a lot of cops very happy.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Yes, since I was a little girl I would think about this. Human beings cannot grasp the concept because all we understand is that something has a beginning from something else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit