Have you ever thought about, what is nothing? If you did, did it make your head hurt?

by miseryloveselders 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

I wasn't a born in, I came in at the age of 13, first raised as a catholic so I was used to believing that god existed and took a personal interest in me.

During a JW study I remember reading that motion must come from motion and life from life. So of course the question of where did god come from popped into my head. And based on that question, I realized that when it came to the gods religions had made it up as they went along. I was a little disappointed when I realized that.

I don't think about nothing because I've experienced it....before I was born of course then again during open heart surgery, they were rolling me into the operating room, hit me with a shot, had me count backwards, 99 (they won't be able to put me under, I remember thinking) 98, 97.................................the best thing for humans about nothing is that it's an absence of all external and internal stimulation and totally pain free at least when death finally overtakes us.

The only thing disconcerting about reaching nothing is the potential for first experiencing pain and sorrow.

As far as where god came from ............... Out of the imagination of mankind. Why? Probably because we are the only species that are aware of dying. It's a frightening prospect so people have been speculating on whether or not there is something else on the other side since mankind became aware. You know this concept of one god came rather late to the dance. People looked to thousands of different gods in hopes of finding a better life and ultimately a way out long before the single god concept became the norm for Jews and Christians.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Nothing: what I feel when I am forced to watch a Keanu Reeves movie.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Can nothing really exist?

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Yes, Hurts so bad I could throw up outta sheer panic.... :z And Im being serious because I take on this concept for the time when I become nothing ....

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Interesting

Like Franklin Massey I looked into the Vedas. Aparrantly the wise men sat and asked each other "Who are you?" They peeled back the layers until they came to the conclusion that "I" am the silence between the thoughts....

Also Sleepingbeauty, I once took LSD and went into a black void with no stimulation, just my consciousness. Finally voices said to me "You can never leave." Terrifying, as I thought this must be life after death....Nah, just a subconscious Tartarus belief from when I was a jw and more importantly, just a drug trip, which in my opinion does not lead to any enlightenment, just distraction. My only drug of choice now is caffeine and a good ol' alcohol.

• bohm
    bohm

nature seem to abhore nothing, see eg. quantum fluctations. its really a bit of an unnatural idea.

BD: The most reasonable conclusion, IMO, is that there MUST be a higher intelligence. I think that is less a leap of faith than saying that "nothing caused something".

alternatively, I would recommend you listen to an astrophysicist for 10 minutes and get a 3rd option so you dont have to knock down that tired strawman in ever other thread.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Jehovah created everything. Jehovah created Jehovah?

My physics teacher always said: energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

nothing is the place where god got the stuff to do everything

• jam
    jam

The boundaries of the universe, what's out there and how do we describe

it,s location and time..Since there are no reference points outside of what

we know, location, nothing and time cannot be described. My head hurts.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Nothing is the place between most peoples ears. And yes, it hurts when they think.....about nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5-BTdcqjk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit