Did you make very good comments at the Kingdom Hall?

by Iamallcool 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I used to be well prepared because I knew that most of the R&F had not even opened their WT or KM prior to the start of the meeting and I knew those conducting could hit a spot where they had no hands. But I somehow have the feeling that the study material used to have more content. Is that true? Or is it just my new jaded perspective? More recently it seems that you could take the entire Study WT and reduce it of all the fluff and give ample consideration to it in just one WT Study. [Yawn]

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I studied for everything! Tried to make insightfull comments. Never went back after my eyes were open so never sewed dout in them.

• wobble
    wobble

I never "studied" in the JW way, I would speed read an article, latch on to something that interested me, probably because it wasn't explained very well, and then I would look up stuff in my own library, which was mainly filled with secular commentaries and history books etc.

This method gave me a much better grasp of the subject than almost anyone there, usually much better than the guy conducting it, time after time the conductor would thank me and say something like "I never knew that "

Bros. visiting the congo. often remarked to me about the high quality of my answers.

So, there you have it, Wobble was an insufferable SMARTASS !

• snakeface
    snakeface

I always studied and was prepared to give any and every part for every meeting. I was actually always "on call" to give a last minute Sunday public talk if needed. (Only once did I have to; got called Saturday 9:30 PM and was asked to give a talk the next morning).

Most of the time what would happen was, the conductor would ask the quesiton, I'd answer in my own words, then he wouldn't realize I answered the question. So he'd be asking the audience, "And what does the paragraph bring out about...?" Then someone would read it word for word. Then others would start saying, "That's what [snakeface] said." And the conductor would say, "Oh, I didn't know that's what he meant." So in other words, the conductor was looking for an answer in the exact wording found in the paragraph. If you worded it differently he was not intelligent enough to understand the comment. Which, in turn, proves that he himslef had not prepared the lesson. He should he first learned the material, but instead he must have had his kids underline the answers so that on the platform he'd compare the comments with the underlined answers.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LAMALLCOOL:

Whether you study or just have a great memory, they don't like people who make good comments especially intellectual-sounding comments. They do not like if your comments reflect that you have college education or secular knowledge not gotten from the religion's literature.

They are pathetic and only like rote, fifth-grade grammar school level answers and are threatened by anything that goes beyond what is in the paragraph.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I hated the long wordy comments, from people who did not realize what key point ... "The meetings ends sooner, if you shut the hell up!"

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I rarely commented. The idea of JW style commenting didn't appeal to me. I didn't want to simply read answers from the paragraphs, and "advanced" jw comments were nothing more than sentences from the paragraphs with a couple of words rearranged.

The few times I commented I'd be swarmed by JWs after the meeting with the usual "nice to hear you comment" remarks which made me want to puke. That was often enough to strengthen my resolve to avoid commenting at all.

W

• LovelyEunie
    LovelyEunie

I haven't truly studied for a meeting since I was 12. Then I just started underlining random junk like15 mins beforehand so my mom would think I was actually doing something when she handed me that thing. Now I don't do jack to prepare because I honestly don't care much to and I sit in that place like a bump on a log. Daydreaming is fun while staring straight lol

• snowbird
    snowbird

I did.

Someone once said my comments were "juicy"!

Syl

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

If I have time, or if I have to conduct, I'll study. I give darn good comments

Here's something I enjoy doing that livens up the meetings for me: I'm known for giving mostly the secondary comments or the elaborating comments. The conductors know this and often use the time during my comment to prepare what they are going to say next. So, every once in a while, I throw a really short comment in.

"So what are some ways we can we sure of Jehovah's love? Bro. Massey..."

"Jesus."

*awkward pause*

"Errrrr. OK. What are some other ways?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit