Earthquake in N.Z.

by smiddy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

A friend in Christchurch texted my wife today with the news that her husband was out in field service again today.

For a religion that thrives on bad news, a natural disaster that kills more than 200 people and cripples a city is a godsend.

I can imagine them now, walking past homes without running water or power, no flushing toilets or showers, their gardens knee-deep in grey sludge vomited from the earth and mixed with sewage, proudly clutching their Watchtowers to warn that the end of the world is nigh. They exploit the vulnerable, seizing on a mood of fear and uncertainty.

They are vultures. They are lacking in love, empathy and human affection. They are truly a religion that fits the description at 2 Timothy 3 (Jerusalem Bible): "Heartless ... demented by pride ... They will keep up the outward appearance of religion but will have rejected the inner power of it. Have nothing to do with people like that."

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They are not the only ones trying to recruit new members. Mayor Bob is trying to encourage Athiests into churches.

So far there are no reported casualties or missing among our brothers and sisters...

I have heard otherwise.

• Room 215
    Room 215
    So far there are no reported casualties or missing among our brothers and sisters...

As if the rest of the population counts for nothing.....

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

I'm from Christchurch, although I don't post often. I don't mind my identity being known either. All of the foregoing paints the picture fairly accurately. My family and I have survived both major quakes thus far, along with the countless afterquakes (over 5000) since Sept 2010.

The shaking is terrifying at the time . . . seems to persist for much longer than I previously imagined. And the constant smaller shakes are hard on the nerves over time. The diversity of human behavior it gives rise to is fascinating to me also.

The hardest blow in the most recent quake is the loss of life. I learned yesterday that our family doctor had perished inside a collapsed building. I want to tell you about this man. Unremarkable in many ways upon first meeting . . . aged in his mid-late thirties . . . quiet, unassuming and gentle by nature . . . but extrordinarily attentive. A man of few words . . . but the words he spoke were of real value. It's hard to put a definition on it but he had a "way" about him . . . a way that connected . . . especially with youths and young adults . . . a rare quality.

Anyway, he did extrordinary things in his quiet, unassuming way for me and my family along with many other young people we know. He helped my eldest son through a very difficult period, as well as his fiancee who also had a serious medical problem. My niece and nephew had lost thier mother as small children. They are now grown up and thought the world of him. He didn't just help you with medical treatment . . . he took time to get to know you and took a genuine personal interest in people.

When I left his presence I always felt uplifted and encouraged, like he had 'restored' me inside . . . given me back something I didn't know I had even lost.

All said and done . . . He was simply a very fine human being. I can't help but wonder if my once long-held view of the world as a witness would ever have allowed me to see the very real beauty in this man.

He leaves behind a widow and three small children of his own . . . and a large tear in the hearts of so many people . . . young people.

RIP my friend, you will be loved, admired, remembered and deeply missed for a very long time. That's what this Earthquake has mostly done to me

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'm so glad to hear from you, Murray, I was thinking of you, but I also knew under the circumstances lack of communication is a result of such a catastrophe.

So sorry to hear of the death of your Dr and friend - he sounds like a marvelous man.

Our thoughts are with all of you in Christchurch.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Murray Smith

That was a very moving post you made,unlike JW`s who see evil in everybody who is not a jw,it shows their are great human beings out their who are doing marvellous things for all humanity regardless of race or religion,unlike jw`s who are very selective as to who they ( help ???)

smiddy

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Thank you both for those comments . . . I appreciate them alot, believe me.

I try hard to resist resentment or bitterness as an XJW, but in light of my experience, statements like the following cannot help but offend me . . .

How this viewpoint could ever provide a source of comfort to anybody simply underscores how the subtle mind control of WT indoctrination actually strips away the very basic "humanity" of the people under it's influence.

How can any who find comfort in such a report equate such feelings with the most basic teachings of Christ?? . . . the parable of the good samaritan is quite brilliant in that it sweeps aside all the precepts for prejudice and elitism with such simplicity and clarity . . .

. . . only to see the WT put it all back again with statements like that seen above. (sigh)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Apparently, Jehovah is looking after his people in Christchurch because they all had their emergency kits ready and had plenty of stored water.

They didn't go witnessing last weekend, instead doing PR on RVs with no bags and ties.

Meanwhile, the Student Volunteer Army was out shovelling mud and looking after the elderly.

Sorry to hear about your mate Murray.

My condolences go to his friends and family.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Murray Smith, I have sent you a PM.

Usual instructions: click on the envelope at the top of the page. If it gives an error message, hit "back" a few times and keep trying until it appears.

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Thanks Mr M . . . isn't this site just fantastic! . . . like a long cool drink in a parched throat . . . the delights just keep on coming!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit